Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 18, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #11,941 of 12,086
Before anyone decides to go open, please consider only reversible mods.
100% THX00 are nice headphones stock. Unable to return to stock may be regrettable if you dont like mod or want to resell later.

TH500RP cups do make the bass go halfway to dirty HD6XX bass. Its the smooth & warm tone ala 6XX that makes it worth consideration. I find stock ebony a niche headphone in my collection: good closed can. TH500RP cups brings it more to a good all-rounder. Going to need some light damping like @SHAMuuu said to get it to great level.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #11,942 of 12,086
@AT Khan We need 3DP semi-open cups for these asap. They are so good.

Is there a way of cheaply outsourcing design and print? Or what if I designed then used printing service? Or how much is a 3D printer? Cheaper than Lawton cups?

Attachments

• THX00 with TH500RP cups and AHl pads.jpg
    THX00 with TH500RP cups and AHl pads.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
Jul 20, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #11,943 of 12,086
@AT Khan We need 3DP semi-open cups for these asap. They are so good.

Is there a way of cheaply outsourcing design and print? Or what if I designed then used printing service? Or how much is a 3D printer? Cheaper than Lawton cups?
Yes, definitely cheaper than Lawton. I kicked off with my first 3D printer, and the learning curve isn't huge really. You can definitely start off with something like the Creality Ender 3 (what I did). Printer cost me $200-ish, with some filaments and some recommended modding parts for another $100-ish probably. One you go printing, you can't go back. I think for us headfiers, it's a very, VERY highly recommended route. I can print (and I did) in a snap, attenuator rings, pad mouting rings (which mind you can end up costing $20 to $30 A PAIR if you buy retail). Finishing is not going to be perfect, but it can be, once you learn your way around things. I even printed mounting rings for my Focals.
If you know your thing, you can even print frames to make your own earpads etc. Then these cups like we talked about. Opens a whole another world. And then, well, you can DIY stuff for loads of other things you may need in everyday life, so it really is an investment - and a canvas, a tool, where sky is the limit for you to do pretty much anything.

That's how I plan to do some earcup mods for my Denon MH400s, my Monoliths - even closed or semi-closed back cups for my HD6XXs - you can make complete earcups for a couple of beyerdynamics.

The 3D files are there on the internet for free on more than a dozen 3D models websites - it's a whole another universe. (look for .OBJ and .STL models).

You can use even MS Window's own 3D Builder to edit/modify the shapes and blend stuff to your liking. Then there's complete tools to make things in 3D, bunch of software to be able to print them etc so this universe keeps expanding by the hour.

So to really do brings things you can imagine into reality, with such a tool... well, nuff said. It's like a factory at your disposal!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #11,944 of 12,086
Hi

I wish to change the 1/4" plug on my TH-X00s to a minijack plug, but on unscrewing the stock plug it has a hard clear sheath underneath that doesn't appear to be removable so I can't see which wires go to the connectors. Anyone know if it's possible to remove this sheath? I really don't want to strip new wires as my experience is that they can be very thin and a pain to strip and resolder, plus I'm colour blind and struggle with identifying cables!

Aug 24, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #11,945 of 12,086
TR-X00 Mahogany is back in stock at Drop. FWIW.

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #11,949 of 12,086
TR-X00 Mahogany is back in stock at Drop. FWIW.
Were these ever actually back in stock today?!

If so, then they sold out within a couple of hours. :rage:

Did anyone here manage to grab a pair?

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #11,950 of 12,086
Were these ever actually back in stock today?!

If so, then they sold out within a couple of hours. :rage:

Did anyone here manage to grab a pair?
They were available for like an hour apparently.

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #11,951 of 12,086
They were available for like an hour apparently.
I saw them. It’s weird, they announce no more would be sold a couple years ago. Then today, some become available for an hour or two for a $100 more than before. Then they’re gonna again. Mysterious

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #11,953 of 12,086
My best guess is that they are still discontinued, but Drop finally sold the last of their remaining stock that was kept around for warrantee replacements.

Now that the two year warrantee period is over, there was no need for Drop to keep the few they had left around anymore.

I really hope I'm wrong about this, because the TR-X00 is one of my favorite headphones of all time!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #11,954 of 12,086
My best guess is that they are still discontinued, but Drop finally sold the last of their remaining stock that was kept around for warrantee replacements.

Now that the two year warrantee period is over, there was no need for Drop to keep the few they had left around anymore.

I really hope I'm wrong about this, because the TR-X00 is one of my favorite headphones of all time!

Definitely worth an all time favor, hands down. No arguments there. I think if treated nicely and caressed, it should last a loooooooong time. Worst case scenario would be driver replacement, and maybe not even that. Even then, I'm eyeing those 50mm drivers on Ali Express. If they're good enough, you're set for a lifetime.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back