Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 31, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #11,446 of 12,086
Got Ori and Pilot pads today.
Ori pads are amazing, pilot pad is too thick for me, there is not enough room to adjust so it fits well...
Will the pilot pad get flatter fast so it might fit or do I have to sell it and maybe find some other headband?

Also I never saw any comparisons between stock and Ori pads here is few.

IMG_20180831_214913.jpg

Comparisons with pads:

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #11,447 of 12,086
Ori pads are amazing, pilot pad is too thick for me, there is not enough room to adjust so it fits well...
Will the pilot pad get flatter fast so it might fit or do I have to sell it and maybe find some other headband?

IMG_20180831_214913.jpg

Comparisons with pads:
Cool! Post your impressions of the sound signature changes and what mods, if any, you do to make it to your liking.

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #11,448 of 12,086

IMG_20180831_214913.jpg

Comparisons with pads:
My Pilot Pad never really compressed. I could definitely do with another click of extension from my TH-X00's with the pad, but oh well, still makes it really comfortable for longer use.

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #11,451 of 12,086
I want big pads also. The stock pads don't fit (or seal) well. I want to see Rtings measurements of variations of different people wearing them including glasses. Next, I want to see comparatively with a pad that seals well, and see the variations of different people wearing them as well.

I really want to see this for Ebony. Interestingly, despite the fit, I really don't have much complaints about the Ebony sound still.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #11,452 of 12,086
I want big pads also. The stock pads don't fit (or seal) well. I want to see Rtings measurements of variations of different people wearing them including glasses. Next, I want to see comparatively with a pad that seals well, and see the variations of different people wearing them as well.

I really want to see this for Ebony. Interestingly, despite the fit, I really don't have much complaints about the Ebony sound still.

Good luck.

Sep 2, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #11,453 of 12,086
Damn you must have a big melon! :p LOL j/k

Nah, my Pilot Pad hasn't really compressed that I know of...and I think mine is close to 2 years old now.

*edit* I've had to bend my X00 headband in kind of an inverted V-shape to try to *increase* clamp on my ears.....it's possible that gave me some extra range of adjustment for the Pilot Pad? *shrug*

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #11,454 of 12,086
Don't think I've posted it here, but this is my take on pads for the TH-X00PH:

Lawton Audio Angle pads - While it has great sound quality technicalities, it is absolutely the wrong pad for the TH-X00 unless you hate the stock bass. It pretty much destroys the stock bass feel...loses much impact and overall bass presence. It is a highly detailed sounding pad, but it ruins the TH-X00 in the process. You might as well get an Audio Technica openback if you want that kind of sound. Comfort is surprisingly not that great either...the 'foam' material is stiff yet light and it fits weird on the head. Jmoney V3 , Shure, and ZMF pads are more comfortable. It also one of the most expensive pads for a TH-X00.

SO glad you mention this. I don't understand how people can even stand this pad. I tried them once on my TH900's, never again. As you say, light but stiff, and destroys the awesome deep bass.

Oddly enough, no comparison to stock TH600/900 protein pads? In my experience (Lawton, Alpha, Brainwavz, and custom pads) the larger INNER diameter and shorter height of the stock pads are part of what gives the THs their bass flavor. What would they do to the TH-X00? I'm curious.

Full disclosure I heard the X00's a couple times but only own one modded, and one stock, TH900, lol.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #11,460 of 12,086
Shortened my cable to 5'. Elongated my sanity. :ksc75smile:
FHkiZ0v.jpg

Not sure if it's been said, but for wiring the jack Blue is left (tip) and Pink is right (ring). The 2 Brown wires not shown are Ground (sleeve).
K4nCAWv.jpg

How does the Fostex sound with the bass in this track?

Pretty sure my ebonies are hitting all the bass notes in the song, if that's what you're asking (using my SVS PB12 as reference). Anything else I can say will be very subjective though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back