Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 6, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #11,191 of 12,086
Finally! I recieved the kit from Lawton and modded my pair of Fostex's with driver dampening!

What can I say about doing the mod?

First of all, that was a challange, because one of the little screws that hold a cup had a completely blured cross, so I couldn't take the left cup off! I tried oh so many different screwdrivers, knives and other stuff, and luckily after an hour of anger and frustration I could unscrew it with sharp hair scissors that could fit tight in to the blured cross!
smile.gif

Sticking dampening material to the driver was not too hard, but required some time. Lawton has put an additional strip of material into the kit, so I was able to cover the part above the wires to please my internal perfectionist. Then I placed the cups back, I handled with the loose screw with scissors again and could screw it tight
tongue.gif

Now going to the main part - the sound!

I expected subtle changes in sound, because the only thing that benefit from driver dampening is the resonation inside the cup. But the changes were huge, I won't afraid of this word!

At first I started some soft rock music, Fleetwood Mac and Chris Rea, as I wanted to see if the vocals were more forward. I tried to notice something new and at first it was hard to, and it felt like there was less bass quantity. Later I understood that first tracks that I played were not heavy with low freqs, so the only difference that I could hear were little improvements in clarity, like on the Little Lies song I suddenly could hear two voice lines where before I could find just one! That was great, because music didn't loose engagement but got great separation.

And then I swithed on the Prodigy, and oh my God! That was the right thing to do, because that's where the real drive lives!
Don't get me wrong, I loved how my ebonies played bigbeat before, I just didn't have a chance to listen to anything higher in class.
And they really sounded like much more expensive pair of headphones! The bass was there, but it sounded so natural and smooth, and I could hear a lot of new details in the music that were hidden under low ends. And the drums became faster, the hits started to sound more separate.

I tell you, this modification is a must have for those who listen to fast electronic music!

Under impression, I decided to return to rock music, so I turned on the masterpieces like Hotel California and Shine On You Crazy Diamond. You know, these are kind of tracks that you listen to with eyes closed and setting your imagination free. And there again the new sound shined, as it improved instrument positioning and imaging a lot! And again, bass line was smooth and resilient, and I was able to catch every little detail under it. And what is even better - the vocals were sounding more transparent. By that I mean that I could understand the lyrics where I couldn't ever before. That is very important for me, as I am not a native-speaker and often had to search for lyrics in net
smile.gif

Last thing, as it was already late at night, I played full The Screen Behind The Mirror album of Enigma, and that was a fantastic experience... It was super relaxing and natural, an hour of music, spirit and meditation.

TL;DR
These are the best $45 I ever spent. It is fantastic how several stripes and rounds of material can make a $500 pair of headphones sound that much better, just like a TOTL thing. I highly recommend every th-x00 owner to try this simple and cheap mod.

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #11,192 of 12,086
Finally! I recieved the kit from Lawton and modded my pair of Fostex's with driver dampening!

What can I say about doing the mod?

First of all, that was a challange, because one of the little screws that hold a cup had a completely blured cross, so I couldn't take the left cup off! I tried oh so many different screwdrivers, knives and other stuff, and luckily after an hour of anger and frustration I could unscrew it with sharp hair scissors that could fit tight in to the blured cross!
smile.gif

Sticking dampening material to the driver was not too hard, but required some time. Lawton has put an additional strip of material into the kit, so I was able to cover the part above the wires to please my internal perfectionist. Then I placed the cups back, I handled with the loose screw with scissors again and could screw it tight
tongue.gif

Now going to the main part - the sound!

I expected subtle changes in sound, because the only thing that benefit from driver dampening is the resonation inside the cup. But the changes were huge, I won't afraid of this word!

At first I started some soft rock music, Fleetwood Mac and Chris Rea, as I wanted to see if the vocals were more forward. I tried to notice something new and at first it was hard to, and it felt like there was less bass quantity. Later I understood that first tracks that I played were not heavy with low freqs, so the only difference that I could hear were little improvements in clarity, like on the Little Lies song I suddenly could hear two voice lines where before I could find just one! That was great, because music didn't loose engagement but got great separation.

And then I swithed on the Prodigy, and oh my God! That was the right thing to do, because that's where the real drive lives!
Don't get me wrong, I loved how my ebonies played bigbeat before, I just didn't have a chance to listen to anything higher in class.
And they really sounded like much more expensive pair of headphones! The bass was there, but it sounded so natural and smooth, and I could hear a lot of new details in the music that were hidden under low ends. And the drums became faster, the hits started to sound more separate.

I tell you, this modification is a must have for those who listen to fast electronic music!

Under impression, I decided to return to rock music, so I turned on the masterpieces like Hotel California and Shine On You Crazy Diamond. You know, these are kind of tracks that you listen to with eyes closed and setting your imagination free. And there again the new sound shined, as it improved instrument positioning and imaging a lot! And again, bass line was smooth and resilient, and I was able to catch every little detail under it. And what is even better - the vocals were sounding more transparent. By that I mean that I could understand the lyrics where I couldn't ever before. That is very important for me, as I am not a native-speaker and often had to search for lyrics in net
smile.gif

Last thing, as it was already late at night, I played full The Screen Behind The Mirror album of Enigma, and that was a fantastic experience... It was super relaxing and natural, an hour of music, spirit and meditation.

TL;DR
These are the best $45 I ever spent. It is fantastic how several stripes and rounds of material can make a $500 pair of headphones sound that much better, just like a TOTL thing. I highly recommend every th-x00 owner to try this simple and cheap mod.

Haha agreed, the hardest part is those miniscule screws! But if my blocky and rough working-man's hands can do it, anyone can.

I took extra time with fitment of the driver dampening as well..purposely cutting them (still) too long with the first trim, then getting pretty close with the second cut, and cutting a 3rd time for the final fit before peeling the backing and installing.

Glad to see another person has tried the Lawton mod and enjoys it :)

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #11,193 of 12,086
The driver dampening only is mandatory for all the TH-X00 series. My modded Purplehearts continue to be one of my favorite headphones.

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #11,196 of 12,086
I ended up taking the drivers of out of my Fostex TH-X00 Purple Heart headphone and putting them in a A&K Beyerdynamic T5P. The T5P was faulty anyways so I had no problem doing this lol. The reason I done this is because I was dissatisfied because the Purple Heart did not sound as close to the Denon AH-D5000 I used to own, as I expected it would be ( I'd been searching for a replacement of the Denon AH-D5000, mine's had started to fall apart due to being used so much after 6 years..it remains the best headphone i've ever heard..there was just something emotive about it's sound that i've yet to hear in any other headphone). I decided to house the Purple Hearts drivers in the T5P's to see if this would improve the sound and i'm glad I did! It just goes to show of the potential of Biocellulose drivers..
The Purple Hearts drivers in the T5P now sounds like a $1,100 headphone..lol.
Better imaging, bigger soundstage, tighter bass, no sharp high's and no sibilance.
It's like a more refined, significantly improved Denon AH-D2000.

Just thought i'd share my experience. :)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #11,198 of 12,086
It was really easy to transfer the drivers, I just used a pocket knife to cut a little groove in the frame of the TH-X00.
The only thing I will need to do is glue the disc holding the drivers in place, to the cups of the T5P.
Also, I actually created bass ports on the T5P.

2m4vtcm.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #11,199 of 12,086
Hello Head-Fi!

would anyone of you know where I could purchase the 2.5mm sockets used by modders such as Peterek? (cf. image below) I'm having a really hard time finding the right part to do this mod. Any info would be appreciated!
il_570xN.979228542_a6ol.jpg

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #11,200 of 12,086
Hello Head-Fi!

would anyone of you know where I could purchase the 2.5mm sockets used by modders such as Peterek? (cf. image below) I'm having a really hard time finding the right part to do this mod. Any info would be appreciated!
Have you contacted Mr. Peterek yet? If you have, what did he say/do?

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #11,202 of 12,086
Mar 19, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #11,204 of 12,086
Mar 21, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #11,205 of 12,086
Just finished the Lawton driver mod...this is a must. Everybody stating this is absolutely 100% correct. I have the Dekoni pads on mine right now, but I still want to get the Ori's back on there if I can tame the treble a touch. the dips (according to FR Graphs I've seen) are between 7 and 11k). 1 or 2 sheets of TP should do the trick hopefully. Worst case scenario...these cans sound great with the Dekoni's from Massdrop. Thanks to everybody for the wisdom and suggestions. Totally worth it...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back