Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 20, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #10,096 of 12,086
  Did  you change the pad too ?

Not yet... they're on the way... I would prefer the most open ones... Even though I could go for those pricier leather ones, I'm gonna pass. I only like the Lawton pads, but they're so pricey. I'm gonna skip the ZMFs as they will increase the driver distance like my HM5 leather ones did, and I didn't like it. Ideally, I'm looking for the TH900 original round open pads (still too damn pricey or not available). I tried my Hifiman round open pads or something similar, and loved how they opened up the sound, so gonna go with the widest inner opening ones. The original Denon pads are also in my consideration, but they're the same height inside, just wider, which may still touch my ears and stuff. Let's see. I'll update how that goes.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #10,097 of 12,086

Wow AT Khan!   They look amazing!

I'm really surprised that they still have any bass.

Please let us know what you used for the grills and mounting rings.

Thanks.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #10,098 of 12,086
Apr 20, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #10,099 of 12,086

wonder if those 500rp cups can be acquired from parts dealers

open denon can pics are on google

devil_face.gif

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #10,100 of 12,086

Wow AT Khan!   They look amazing!

I'm really surprised that they still have any bass.

Please let us know what you used for the grills and mounting rings.

Thanks.

Yeah to be honest, you'd be surprised. Something always felt to me that these biocellulose drivers are quite something.
Guess what... there's MORE bass now lol. Try it. Try urs without cups; just naked. You'll know what I'm talking about. That's why I talked about the Kennerton Vali.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #10,103 of 12,086
  Man I tried it, yes. This will be ideal. But I mailed Fostex and to no avail. If anyone here finds these cups, do tell me. Took me a lot of time to arrive to my mod otherwise, but I'd still be up for grabbing these cups, yes.

Im sure down the road a few will pop up on used market. I do recall some turning the 500rp closed (so i guess they swapped cups) as the rp500 wasnt to their liking, and essentially they end up with 2 modded cans (closed 500 rp and open bio w/e model )

that must be fun process ^ lol

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #10,104 of 12,086

Man I tried it, yes. This will be ideal. But I mailed Fostex and to no avail. If anyone here finds these cups, do tell me. Took me a lot of time to arrive to my mod otherwise, but I'd still be up for grabbing these cups, yes.

Im sure down the road a few will pop up on used market. I do recall some turning the 500rp closed (so i guess they swapped cups) as the rp500 wasnt to their liking, and essentially they end up with 2 modded cans (closed 500 rp and open bio w/e model )

that must be fun process ^ lol

Lol... well I don't fell like drilling through my ebony cups just yet. We still ought to keep our wooden cups as they are for a rainy day lol.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #10,105 of 12,086
  Not yet... they're on the way... I would prefer the most open ones... Even though I could go for those pricier leather ones, I'm gonna pass. I only like the Lawton pads, but they're so pricey. I'm gonna skip the ZMFs as they will increase the driver distance like my HM5 leather ones did, and I didn't like it. Ideally, I'm looking for the TH900 original round open pads (still too damn pricey or not available). I tried my Hifiman round open pads or something similar, and loved how they opened up the sound, so gonna go with the widest inner opening ones. The original Denon pads are also in my consideration, but they're the same height inside, just wider, which may still touch my ears and stuff. Let's see. I'll update how that goes.

Thx for your answer. Good to know !

Very nice mod by the way :)

Regards,

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #10,106 of 12,086
  Yeah to be honest, you'd be surprised. Something always felt to me that these biocellulose drivers are quite something.
Guess what... there's MORE bass now lol. Try it. Try urs without cups; just naked. You'll know what I'm talking about. That's why I talked about the Kennerton Vali.

​I tried it without the earcups and its not really my cup o' tea.
tongue.gif

IMO, there was too much rolloff in the sub-bass and treble regions, and the mid-bass region seemed to become slightly too prominent.
But one interesting side-effect of removing and then reinstalling the earcups is that now the headphones sound better than ever! 
gs1000.gif

If I had to guess as to why, I think that some of the screws had become slightly loose and by tightening them back down, a lot of harmful resonances that had been occurring now have been significantly reduced.  A similar thing happens with most lower cost loudspeakers (which often only use wood screws to fasten their drivers to their wooden baffle), and re-tightening the screws every so often usually yields a noticeable improvement in SQ.

So I highly recommend checking to make sure that the 8 screws per cup are nice and tight, but be careful not to overtighten them because they can be easily stripped.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #10,107 of 12,086
The Dekoni TH-X00 earpads just became available again on Massdrop!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-earpads-for-fostex-th-x00

This drop also includes the brand new Fenestrated Sheepskin and Velour 2.0 versions as well!

I got to try them both at CanJam SoCal and I absolutely loved them.  They each gave the TH-X00 a slightly different sound signature and both of them were super comfortable.

I'm getting a pair of each as well as a pair attenuation rings.
biggrin.gif

It just sucks that they won't ship until May 26th. 
mad.gif
  Oh well, they are definitely worth the wait!

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #10,108 of 12,086
  The Dekoni TH-X00 earpads just became available again on Massdrop!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-earpads-for-fostex-th-x00

This drop also includes the brand new fenestrated sheepskin and velour 2.0 versions as well!

I got to try them both at CanJam SoCal and I absolutely loved them.  They each gave the TH-X00 a slightly different sound signature and both of them were super comfortable.

I'm getting a pair of each as well as a pair attenuation rings.
biggrin.gif

It just sucks that they won't ship until May 26th. 
mad.gif
  Oh well, they are definitely worth the wait!

Why are some of those Dekoni pads the same price (or maybe even cheaper for US local shipping) on Amazon? Massdrop often doesn't make sense to me. The X00/HD6XX are the only handful few sensible things they have. Others are just... better bought elsewhere.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #10,109 of 12,086

​I tried it without the earcups and its not really my cup o' tea.
tongue.gif

IMO, there was too much rolloff in the sub-bass and treble regions, and the mid-bass region seemed to become slightly too prominent.
But one interesting side-effect of removing and then reinstalling the earcups is that now the headphones sound better than ever! 
gs1000.gif

If I had to guess as to why, I think that some of the screws had become slightly loose and by tightening them back down, a lot of harmful resonances that had been occurring now have been significantly reduced.  A similar thing happens with most lower cost loudspeakers (which often only use wood screws to fasten their drivers to their wooden baffle), and re-tightening the screws every so often usually yields a noticeable improvement in SQ.

So I highly recommend checking to make sure that the 8 screws per cup are nice and tight, but be careful not to overtighten them because they can be easily stripped.

Lol. Well good that I helped you in some way. I don't know but I just like them with my new mod better. More airy, more natural now. The sound isn't as tight you could say... anymore, for me.
I can still feel the same subbass cuz I A/Bd them (usually, I can tell if there's any balance off on either side, and I run both sides differently for testing a lot of stuff I have, and it works for me. Anyhow, it is possible you like the original flavor better. YMMV in effect yet again lol.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #10,110 of 12,086
  Why are some of those Dekoni pads the same price (or maybe even cheaper for US local shipping) on Amazon? Massdrop often doesn't make sense to me. The X00/HD6XX are the only handful few sensible things they have. Others are just... better bought elsewhere.

​None of the earpads made specifically for the TH-X00 are available on Amazon.  They are Massdrop exclusives.

As for the rest of them, I have no idea!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back