Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 16, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #10,081 of 12,086
I could easily recommend the HD600 with either an Asgard 2 (more like a better O2), or maybe Valhalla 2 if you want more of an ethereal sound and more speaker like.  DACs can vary, but i would stay away from Sabre DACs and Burr Brown.  AKM DACs are probably your best bet.  A lot of good professional audio interfaces use AKM chips such as Steinberg, Lynx, RME, etc.  

I also like the Schiit Mulitbit DACs.  Bimby is a good buy if you can stretch it as it's upgradeable, and there is supposed to be something coming out this year I believe.  

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #10,082 of 12,086
Placed an order for the X00 MH. I really, really liked the sound of the TH610 but it was lacking bass. So after reading reviews of the two, it seems the X00 are bass head friendly headphone which I want. Does Massdrop ship these out on the daily for this month? Or at the ending date?

Hopefully the woodgrain matches on both sides unlike this TH610 with the right cup being a few shades darker and circular grains to match the round cup, and the left being lighter and horizontal lines through the grain. I'll post pictures later in it's own thread if anyone cares. Didn't notice it til now lol.

Hopefully these have similar voicing, but with better bass. Fingers crossed.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #10,083 of 12,086
Placed an order for the X00 MH. I really, really liked the sound of the TH610 but it was lacking bass. So after reading reviews of the two, it seems the X00 are bass head friendly headphone which I want. Does Massdrop ship these out on the daily for this month? Or at the ending date?

Hopefully the woodgrain matches on both sides unlike this TH610 with the right cup being a few shades darker and circular grains to match the round cup, and the left being lighter and horizontal lines through the grain. I'll post pictures later in it's own thread if anyone cares. Didn't notice it til now lol.

Lets me/us know what you think.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #10,084 of 12,086

From what I understand, it's pretty difficult to get two ear cups to look identical. I know a lot of ZMF headphones have this issue, if you want to call it that, but it doesn't bother me too much. 

Honestly, though, the stock cable sucks, and it's not removable. I would try to buy one on the forums where someone's already paid for a cable mod. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #10,085 of 12,086

From what I understand, it's pretty difficult to get two ear cups to look identical. I know a lot of ZMF headphones have this issue, if you want to call it that, but it doesn't bother me too much. 

Honestly, though, the stock cable sucks, and it's not removable. I would try to buy one on the forums where someone's already paid for a cable mod. 

Ahhh, ok. That sucks.

Already in the drop so no going back :D

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #10,086 of 12,086

Ahhh, ok. That sucks.

Already in the drop so no going back :D

If you want identical cups, get plastic or metal. Not wood.
I never had an issue with the cable - these are not a HP I would use out and about.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #10,087 of 12,086
Received mine on April 14th, still breaking the sound in...but got to say these are the best closed back design that I've ever heard. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #10,088 of 12,086
Just a little update on my th-x00 eb's with the cup hanger that broke at the hinge to the headband as if it was made of chalk. Super disappointed, barely even worn in and that happens...

But not to worry, I solved my spare parts issue, I found the replacement part at Full Compas, they don't ship to Australia so I found a company called myus.com who seem to have a great reputation as a mail forwarding service.

I don't know if everyone else experiences this as often as I do, but amazon is notorious for "this item does not ship to Australia", been burnt many times by that line, super annoying! So just a friendly tip to anyone else when you wanna buy something at the perfect price but they won't ship to you, this way you can get around the inconvenience.

Now for the left driver... anyone know where you could find and buy a biocellulose/biodynamic driver? I've had zero luck finding them, although my left driver sounds fine after I fixed dent but there's a crease in the cone and just knowing it's there is just eating away at me, I want to replace it...

Who sells headphone drivers?

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #10,089 of 12,086
Just a little update on my th-x00 eb's with the cup hanger that broke at the hinge to the headband as if it was made of chalk. Super disappointed, barely even worn in and that happens...

But not to worry, I solved my spare parts issue, I found the replacement part at Full Compas, they don't ship to Australia so I found a company called myus.com who seem to have a great reputation as a mail forwarding service.

I don't know if everyone else experiences this as often as I do, but amazon is notorious for "this item does not ship to Australia", been burnt many times by that line, super annoying! So just a friendly tip to anyone else when you wanna buy something at the perfect price but they won't ship to you, this way you can get around the inconvenience.

Now for the left driver... anyone know where you could find and buy a biocellulose/biodynamic driver? I've had zero luck finding them, although my left driver sounds fine after I fixed dent but there's a crease in the cone and just knowing it's there is just eating away at me, I want to replace it...

Well, I know the same place you looked at, FullCompass, sells TH900 drivers! They're $220 US for a pair if I remember, I've seriously considered swapping them into my Purplehearts as an upgrade.

I still may someday.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #10,090 of 12,086

Well, I know the same place you looked at, FullCompass, sells TH900 drivers! They're $220 US for a pair if I remember, I've seriously considered swapping them into my Purplehearts as an upgrade.

I still may someday.

At least 90% of the things I've tried to buy from Amazon, even though I check "International Shipping" (or whatever it is) in the search filter.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #10,091 of 12,086
WHATSAYYOU bout my latest mod? Hopefully my final rendition of all mods... there's too much going on in there (dampers and stuff) which I just can't list here... Anyhow, it's semi open.

Despite how much l loved them, in longer sessions, they sounded veiled compared to say the Hifiman He400i or the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD6XX, so I tested them cup-less. Few things here, few things there, and here's my findings:

- Bass is still the same. Yup. Even without the wooden cups, these beautiful drivers deliver the same amount of low end. In fact, I'm thinking maybe the bass has increased in volume... (shhhhh). I don't feel it's any less tight. It's the same good damn bass. And they still shake and give you eargasm... ahh... ah that's the stuff.... aaaahhh.... 

- Long term fatigue: gone. I used to have some sort of a choking or claustrophobic feeling before at louder volumes. No more. Sound can leak, so my ears can breath better, and there's no choking anymore.

- Airiness: gone up. It's more airy now, and much better, pretty much like my open back cans.

- Stage: improved. Things sure have opened up a bit more. More outside the head now, and more enjoyable.

- V-Curve: It's become more flat... i mean, they're still V, but it's much, MUCH better.

- Highs: tamed. Yup. The slight... offness in the highs that used to bug me once in a blue moon, will not bug me anymore.

- Naturalness: Yup, they sound more natural now.

- Weight: Much less... I can feel it much less, and that adds to comfort. Yup. FTW.

So overall, things have undeniably improved, and I will keep my [prized] ebony cups in the drawer for occasional use I guess. It's possible they sound like Kennerton Vali or Audioquest NightOwls... (hopefully better than NightOwls, as they're not quite as open)... yada yada...

More on my review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/e-mu-teak-headphones/reviews/16715

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #10,092 of 12,086
Did you find a perfect speaker cover/enclosure that fit or did you custom fabricate the outer enclosure/grill?  It looks great!

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #10,094 of 12,086
Please share!  I would love to try if they are available to buy.  Or at least give the appropriate dimensions and maybe model they came from?  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back