Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 5, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #9,121 of 12,086
  Hi,

Quick question, i have a cordless phone stand next to my headphones stand and amp / DAC i use with them, and it generates some static noise if i don't push the phone stand away. It never happened in the same configuration with other headphones, but for some reason it happens with the TH X00. I know those phones stand constantly generates electromagnetic waves, is there any risk for the driver of the headphones if i let them permanently close ?

No risk - if all you can hear is some static noise when the phone stand is close by, then that is a pretty low level signal.  Which could not harm the driver.  It's just an annoyance, and I hope you find a space for the stand that removes the problem entirely.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #9,122 of 12,086
Thanks.

Does any early buyer from last year ran into that sort of problem ? I'm curious if this is an isolated thing / due to poor treatment of the headphones or a real flaw in their conception that happen often : https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00/talk/595849

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #9,123 of 12,086
Thanks.

Does any early buyer from last year ran into that sort of problem ? I'm curious if this is an isolated thing / due to poor treatment of the headphones or a real flaw in their conception that happen often : https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00/talk/595849

These are an aluminum/magnesium alloy construction, not steel, so you should treat them more carefully. Unlike steel, it is a more brittle material with a failure mode that mostly shears and breaks into pieces rather than bends and tears. That said, my 8 year old Denon AH-D2000 are fine and have been through a lot...

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #9,124 of 12,086
Hey all, I'm part of the Ebony drop and I'm eagerly waiting to get my pair. I was wondering, what kind amp would suit the Th-x00 best? I've a little dot mk3 but I heard tube amps aren't great with low impedance cans.Should I bother getting a new amp?

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #9,125 of 12,086
I just unwrapped my ebonies, and my first impression is that the finish appears flawless (best of the three so far) and the wood is gorgeous. Way more grain than was shown in the original Massdrop photos, which I'm VERY happy about (being a fan of wood grain). Mine look more like the pictures of the Emu ebony cups I've seen. I'll hold off on detailed sound impressions until they are burned in and I can spend time comparing them to my PH and Mahogany. My initial impression based on just a handful of songs is that the bass seems more controlled so I can hear a bit more texture (at the moment this does NOT seem like a subtle difference) and the highs are smoother (sweeter might be the more appropriate "audiophile" term - the cymbals/high hat isn't as sharp/peaky). All of this is running stock cable (single-ended) out of a Schiit Jotunheim and Bifrost 4490.

I'll be keeping these and probably the mahoganies (home and office, gotta have two) and selling the PH. I've learned something about my sound signature preference over the last year moving from the ATH-M50 to HD650 to the three successive iterations of the THX00 and the TH500 - I like strong, deep bass (the reason the 650 is gone) but I don't like a v-signature, which I thought I did originally. Gotta have my mids too. And not too much treble energy.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #9,126 of 12,086
Hey all, I'm part of the Ebony drop and I'm eagerly waiting to get my pair. I was wondering, what kind amp would suit the Th-x00 best? I've a little dot mk3 but I heard tube amps aren't great with low impedance cans.Should I bother getting a new amp?

The Schiit Jotunheim is awesome. Can't compare it to much, but I can say it was a definite upgrade from the Magni 2 Uber I had before.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #9,127 of 12,086

The Schiit Jotunheim is awesome. Can't compare it to much, but I can say it was a definite upgrade from the Magni 2 Uber I had before.

Well, yeah. But personally, I don't think the Fostex/Denon/EMU variants need an amp. It's 28 ohms, and to be honest, a friend's old iPhone 5 had enough juice to make me feel the drivers will step out hehe... But that's just me.

A DAC would be a preferred focus - IF, IF YOU MUST have another. Amps are good enough for all of these, right up to the TH900-MKIIs. This line of cans is very efficient, and amping them too much would... not be a good idea.

My fiiO E07k and Creative E5 (apparently just average or lower level amps) power these excessively, and I never can go full throttle, really. Even the bass massage is present, and it seems excessive, so.

My two cents.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #9,128 of 12,086

Thanks.

These are an aluminum/magnesium alloy construction, not steel, so you should treat them more carefully. Unlike steel, it is a more brittle material with a failure mode that mostly shears and breaks into pieces rather than bends and tears. That said, my 8 year old Denon AH-D2000 are fine and have been through a lot...

Talking sense here, VRacer...

BTW, who's cans are those in that photo? Man, whoever it is, just treats them like a slave. I mean look at those bruises and cuts on that frame. How do you... how do you even do that? The paint's come off and it's like they were used in that Warcraft movie.

These need love man. They need to be treated with respect. Yup, these aren't those V-Modas people talk about. You cant do gigs with these. They will break. They're luxury, but still fragile. People need to respect these cans.

This dude broke my heart there. These are the most bruised Fostex I've seen.

It's not surprise to me they eventually snapped.

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #9,129 of 12,086
Just got my th-ebony pretty happy with them. Sound is just about exactly what I hoped for. Bass has nice impact/rumble without getting in the way. The mids are nice and clear, seem a bit like they are lacking lacking body compared to my planars(he4, he500, lcd2). The treble is honestly my favorite part because of the quantity. They walk the line of being detailed and energetic without seeming bright or fatiguing. Had them on for a couple hours right now and no listening fatigue. Soundstage is on the intimate side compared to the d7k.

no blemishes on the cable, cups or frame. there is flat spot on the headband from packaging but hopefully that will fill back in now that there is no pressure on it.

I will give em some more head time to soften the pads and burn in before I go into more detail

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #9,130 of 12,086
Just got my th-ebony pretty happy with them. Sound is just about exactly what I hoped for. Bass has nice impact/rumble without getting in the way. The mids are nice and clear, seem a bit like they are lacking lacking body compared to my planars(he4, he500, lcd2). The treble is honestly my favorite part because of the quantity. They walk the line of being detailed and energetic without seeming bright or fatiguing. Had them on for a couple hours right now and no listening fatigue. Soundstage is on the intimate side compared to the d7k.

no blemishes on the cable, cups or frame. there is flat spot on the headband from packaging but hopefully that will fill back in now that there is no pressure on it.

I will give em some more head time to soften the pads and burn in before I go into more detail

Same here, I was just going to come here to post the same impressions. Really excellent sound and beautiful finish.
Immediately swapped the pads for MSR7 pads, though, which improved the comfort and seal for my ears.

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #9,131 of 12,086
Well, yeah. But personally, I don't think the Fostex/Denon/EMU variants need an amp. It's 28 ohms, and to be honest, a friend's old iPhone 5 had enough juice to make me feel the drivers will step out hehe... But that's just me.

A DAC would be a preferred focus - IF, IF YOU MUST have another. Amps are good enough for all of these, right up to the TH900-MKIIs. This line of cans is very efficient, and amping them too much would... not be a good idea.

My fiiO E07k and Creative E5 (apparently just average or lower level amps) power these excessively, and I never can go full throttle, really. Even the bass massage is present, and it seems excessive, so.

My two cents.

They don't need an amp for power, but they do need an amp to properly control the driver. My iPhone can give even by HD800 enough raw power. Clean, controlled power is another matter entirely.

After trying a lot of things, a good, clean, low output impedance but smooth solid state amp is the ideal with this headphone. The Fulla2 would probably be just about perfect for it at $99. (Though obviously I haven't heard it yet, since it just came out).

Dragonfly red is also great with it. Grace m9XX is legendary with it, but may be out of people's price range.

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #9,133 of 12,086
They don't need an amp for power, but they do need an amp to properly control the driver. My iPhone can give even by HD800 enough raw power. Clean, controlled power is another matter entirely.

After trying a lot of things, a good, clean, low output impedance but smooth solid state amp is the ideal with this headphone. The Fulla2 would probably be just about perfect for it at $99. (Though obviously I haven't heard it yet, since it just came out).

Dragonfly red is also great with it. Grace m9XX is legendary with it, but may be out of people's price range.

I can enjoy my TH-X00 through just my iPhone, but they sound way better through a good amp.  Mine sound great through the tubed Schiit Valhalla 2, but even better through solid state Moon Neo 230HAD (which has an excellently low output impedance of 1 ohm).  That one may be overkill, but dang it's nice.

Dec 7, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #9,134 of 12,086
Still breaking the EBs in but out of the box the bass is the best I've ever heard. I'd love it if that treble peak was a bit tamer but the overall smoothness and detail is stunning. 

ETA:
After a few hours of break-in, the treble seems to gotten less crispy!

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #9,135 of 12,086
What stand do you TH-X00 owners use ? I consider omega-type stands, but i wonder it those can't cause earpads compression and change their form in the long run, or stretch the headband too much and make the headphones too loose on my head. Alternately, i thought of hangers-type stand who could avoid the previously mentionned issues, but the piece connecting the earcups to the headband on the TH-X00 isn't the most sturdy and has been know to break in some cases, so i wonder if hanging them wouldn't put too much weight on this piece and make it fall off more easily.

I'm aware i might be overthinking this, but it's my first pair of 400 $ headphones and i don't want to take unnecessary risks. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back