Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #9,091 of 12,086
  Purpleheart are available again on MD too. I wonder if i should cancel my participation in the Mahoganies drop and enter this one. Anyone owned both of them and can make a quick comparison ? I prefer the Mahogany look, i've been able to hear them and i like them, the 50 $ extra for PH are a bit problematic but i guess i could add them if the sound is significantly improved.

The difference is that due to the wood the Purples are slightly bassier, but not by much - you have to consciously look for it to notice the difference. I wouldn't say it's worth spending the extra if you much prefer the look of the Mahoganies.

I mean, you can't go wrong with either. I can't bring myself to sell a pair despite them not being too far apart in sound because I want backup if one ever dies
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #9,093 of 12,086
Gonna have to sell my pair of 1st drop mahoganies to fund my LCD-X I'm buying :frowning2: 

it's been fun following this thread, shipping updates and all

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #9,094 of 12,086
Anyone know how many wires in the stock cable?
Can I just simply re-terminate it to balance or do I need to run new cable.

Thanks

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #9,096 of 12,086

Anyone know how many wires in the stock cable?
Can I just simply re-terminate it to balance or do I need to run new cable.

Thanks

Four wires in stock, can just reterminate to balanced. Use multimeter to identify the matching ground wire for left n right channel.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge using Tapatalk

very nice.
Thanks for quick one

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #9,097 of 12,086
Hi,

Could you suggest me a wooden omega-type headphones stand that is large enough for the totality of the TH X00's earpads to lay on it? The one i purchased is too narrow and part of the earpads are out of it, what leads to compression marks on the pleather.

Thanks.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #9,098 of 12,086
Look at the one on massdrop, as of 11/29. It is about 2 inches taller than the HEADSTAND they have sold in the past. However be on the safe side and measure what you have now and then compare with the specs before buying.
Yes I bought several of the Headstand models and they are not tall enough and put pressure on the connectors and that is the last thing we need !

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #9,099 of 12,086
Anyone have the X00's and the  for a comparison? I like the X00's but find the bass can be a little bloomy and inaccurate and mids a tad too recessed. I'd like to find a closed full size that does a little better job in detail and accuracy that still carries good extension and presence in bass, just a little more evenly across the board in opposed to being right up front. X00 has incredible bass, no doubt about that. I just find it can be a touch too much for my tastes at times.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #9,102 of 12,086
When you all talk about the Lawton pads/tune-up kit, are you referring to the ones for Denons or Fostex models? I see there are a few different pads/kits listed on the site.

I bought whichever one it said was for the THX00

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #9,103 of 12,086
I bought whichever one it said was for the THX00

Same here. And NOW, off to finally stop procrastinating and install it on my X00 PH's :)

I actually had the Tune-Up kit in hand before I received my Purplehearts. Purchased based on fjrabon's experiences.

I only put off installing the kit for..3 or 4 months o.0

*edit* Starting kit installation now. The package is marked "TH-X00", and upon removing the pieces, it matches the pieces shown in the TH-900 kit (left kit) on the instruction page.

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/fostextuneupinstructions.html

Per advice from both fjrabon and Mark Lawton, I will do only the driver mods first and leave the cup damping alone for now.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #9,104 of 12,086
Okay, Lawton Tune-Up is installed in my Purplehearts :) Except for the Lawton damping discs in the cups. Interestingly, there is no stock damping in the cups to remove, as the installation instructions would suggest.

@fjrabon is this consistent with your experience?

I think I'll leave it like this for a week or so to get used to it, and then insert the Lawton discs (without adhesive) to see what happens, along with turning the foam disc as explained in the EZ Mods thread.

I left the foam disc in the stock alignment when I reassembled my headphones for now (vent holes aligned with the screws).

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #9,105 of 12,086
Okay, Lawton Tune-Up is installed in my Purplehearts :) Except for the Lawton damping discs in the cups. Interestingly, there is no stock damping in the cups to remove, as the installation instructions would suggest.

@fjrabon
 is this consistent with your experience?

I think I'll leave it like this for a week or so to get used to it, and then insert the Lawton discs (without adhesive) to see what happens, along with turning the foam disc as explained in the EZ Mods thread.

I left the foam disc in the stock alignment when I reassembled my headphones for now (vent holes aligned with the screws).

I think they just recycled the TH900 instructions. It should be the same actual pieces though, I think. But only the TH900 has foam damping stock. I guess a thousand dollars can buy a tiny piece of acoustic foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back