Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 26, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #9,062 of 12,086
Any european or even better, french buyer that participed in the last drops of this item who can tell me how much additional charges (import etc) i can expect when receiving these from Massdrop ?

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #9,064 of 12,086
  I know it's unfair comparison. Still, how does the DT 770 fare against the TH x00? I am considering the 32 ohm version. Thanks.

I have both (well, the 250 Ohm version actually for the Beyerdynamic) and love both (for their respective prices). The Fostex however is in a considerably higher league than the Beyer.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #9,066 of 12,086
In Denmark, the package will probably sneak past the customs guys 
tongue.gif
 All my Hifiman phones did. And my Nikons too. In fact, I only ever paid customs once in my life for an outside-EU package.

Nov 26, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #9,067 of 12,086
Heh i doubt i will be that lucky Pippin, specially that those should arrive during the holidays/end of the year period and that's probably when the biggest volumes are transiting, so potentially more money to make on customs i guess ? Or maybe there is so much volume that they let some slip through ? Wouldn't know. Anyways, 80/100 euros is what i think is  acceptable to get a pair of those new. Thanks for the answers.

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #9,069 of 12,086
Owning right now the Denon D-7000 headphones which used to be based on Fostex design as well. Does someone have the idea if they are similar or if i will gain better experience moving to this TH-X00?

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #9,070 of 12,086
Any recommendations for earpads replacement to make it more comfortable ? Should i go with dekoni earpads on massdrop ?

If you have small ears the dekoni will be nice as it is very soft. If you have large ears like me, the dekoni will still be too small, i am using the zmf omni lambskin, it covers my whole ear and is really nice. The zmf oval cowhide is also very nice and fits well too.

I have all 3 pads. Current i am using the zmf oval cowhide as it sounds the best to me. But i also destroyed the original pads and reused the hard plastic tuning ring on the other pads.

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #9,071 of 12,086
Owning right now the Denon D-7000 headphones which used to be based on Fostex design as well. Does someone have the idea if they are similar or if i will gain better experience moving to this TH-X00?

At best its a side grade from the D7000 to the THX00, assuming your D7000 are in good condition. The only way I would make that switch is if my D7000 was starting to get worn out.

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #9,072 of 12,086
Any recommendations for earpads replacement to make it more comfortable ? Should i go with dekoni earpads on massdrop ?

I bought the Dekoni pads and I was disappointed with how it changed the sound.
Supposedly it has to do with the plastic piece sewed into the original pad, which doesn't exist on the Dekoni pad.
There's a lot of discussion on this topic in the Dekoni discussion page on Massdrop.

Nov 27, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #9,073 of 12,086
Does anyone perhaps have these and the Meze 99 with the new larger pads? Worried about the small openings of the Fostex - the 99 just fit with ears touching pads on inside and against the driver fabric. Ideally wanted a headphone where the ears don't touch. (Alpha pads an option though would prefer not to have to change)

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #9,074 of 12,086
If you have small ears the dekoni will be nice as it is very soft. If you have large ears like me, the dekoni will still be too small, i am using the zmf omni lambskin, it covers my whole ear and is really nice. The zmf oval cowhide is also very nice and fits well too.

I have all 3 pads. Current i am using the zmf oval cowhide as it sounds the best to me. But i also destroyed the original pads and reused the hard plastic tuning ring on the other pads.

How does the sound turn with zmf omni pads ? Did you try alpha pads yet ? 

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #9,075 of 12,086
How does the sound turn with zmf omni pads ? Did you try alpha pads yet ? 

Hi there, it was nice with the zmf lambskin omni pads, it removed some of the painful treble but the cowhide seems to do it better for me.

Yes i also have the alpha pads, i find them very similar to the zmf lambskin omni pads, both very nice and super comfortable, the omni has a slightly larger hole, but they are both much more comfortable than stock.

Putting the hard plastic original tuning rings from the stock pads into the new pads is quite important as i feel personally they help with the bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back