Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 8, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #8,867 of 12,086
beyersmile.png
Hi all
         My purplehearts are on the way but I only have these amps
         Asus Xonar Essence ST Sound Card - Fiio E12 - Fiio X5ii -Little dot III .
         Are these easy enough to drive with my e12 /x5ii ?
         How much improvement can be had from a desktop solution ?

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #8,868 of 12,086

beyersmile.png
Hi all

The Fostex headphones are easy to drive, but I think are undervalued for how much detail they can provide. What you'll be sacrificing is not power, but cleanliness of a higher end source.

For you, I would recommend saving money until you were thinking of a much higher upgrade - or not to upgrade at all. Your equipment is quite fine for the Fostex headphones. And if you are thinking of a desktop upgrade in future, just get whatever you like the sound of, keeping in mind that low impedance output is best for the Fostex. Today though, just enjoy what you've got!

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #8,869 of 12,086

beyersmile.png
Hi all

The Fostex headphones are easy to drive, but I think are undervalued for how much detail they can provide. What you'll be sacrificing is not power, but cleanliness of a higher end source.

For you, I would recommend saving money until you were thinking of a much higher upgrade - or not to upgrade at all. Your equipment is quite fine for the Fostex headphones. And if you are thinking of a desktop upgrade in future, just get whatever you like the sound of, keeping in mind that low impedance output is best for the Fostex. Today though, just enjoy what you've got!

I second this notion. You're covered. Any more power and you can risk blowing your drivers. Your arsenal is quite enough. They're 28 Ohms. Relax and enjoy, and only buy a super good DAC that's a grave margin better than what you have, and don't settle for anything less. And yes, you'll probably need a much better DAC, only later. Amping is quite enough. Yours is already overkill for what you need for the X00s.

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #8,870 of 12,086
They are easy to drive.

There is a massive potential for improvement with a good desktop system - but you can also spend a considerable amount of $ to get those gains.
(You can also spend a moderate amount and still get a good improvement)

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #8,872 of 12,086
  Everything but the cups are exactly the same right?  Is there any way to get the mahogany/PH cups without buying the headphones themselves?  I know the lawton and emu teak cups fit on the X00s, but lawtons cost an arm and a leg, and I have no idea where to get the teak cups from.  Later down the line I may try to make my own, but for now if there's a way to get any other cups under like $100-150-ish max, i'd love to know.

From what I've read so far I'm just gonna go with whatever goes on massdrop first.  (hopefully that's pretty soon, if not i'll just buy used)

See this thread page #499, post #7482 dated 7/16/16.

Fellow has recently had Teak, Mahogany, Monkey Pod, Longan & other different woods which change from time to time.

If he sells out, he restocks usually within a couple of weeks. Maybe you might be able to ask for a wood type; I think he has lighter or darker options for same wood finish.

He also closes out B-stock cups too, beside his first quality ones. If you check his completed sales you can see photos of a few sets of these 4 woods.

If you try these, let us know your impressions, others may also want to know.

Another source to try is the site www.martincustomaudio.com which is Martin wood cups. The site shows fotos of a few woods he completed for Denon & Fostex models.

I'm not affiliated with either guy or their materials.

Hope it helps.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #8,873 of 12,086
  A few requests on thread are for where folks can buy wood cups besides Lawton. You can ask at EMU by contacting Chan, a super guy; many already know this.

Wanted to post this for a few months and kept forgetting, but there is a fellow selling custom wood cups at very good prices made to fit TH-X00. His versions also are made to fit Denon D5k, D7k, Fostex TH-600, TH-900, TH-X00, so make sure to specify your headphone model. I believe he has 2 different fits ( I am not affililiated with seller ).

His woods occasionally vary from time to time, currently he has Teak, Monkey Pod and Longan right now. Sometimes sells out, but restocks quickly. Colors vary, so may be able to ask for darker or lighter wood cups. Not sure of the curvature interior cut, depth, wall thickness or volume, but they look externally to match the Denon line. He includes installation guide page.

Fellow is on ebay and ships from either UK or South East Asia, ebay id is "artisanaudiolab". Not sure of sonic presentation, but cups do look well made and finished very nicely, labor intensive process described. Buyers owning TH-600 say the timbre/tonality changes warmth & also results in tighter bass with his cups.

Just passing info along if it helps anyone, since a few have asked on the thread.

Here is the referenced post #7482, so you don't have to dig around searching.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #8,874 of 12,086
That's fine for me then ,will stick with I,ve got and enjoy my tunes. 
I Think upgrading my source and moving away from a pc soundcard to a standalone Dac might be the best way forward before I consider an amp then.

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #8,875 of 12,086
Get a good dac and amp at a reasonable price I be great. You will be happy with your music. Enjoy your journey with the X00

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #8,876 of 12,086
I just accidentally sat on my Fostex Purpleheart headphones, breaking one of the light metal pieces that connect the cup to the headband.  Anyone know how to replace that piece?  I didn't sit on it that hard and i'm not a very heavy person.  Pretty surprised at how fragile these headphones are.  :frowning2:

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #8,877 of 12,086
It is a little screw that holds the cup, I had to tighten it up as it came loose, Had to take the cup off to do it, on the TX-900 thread there are  pictures showing how to do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back