Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 2, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #8,791 of 12,086

I'm sure it is possible. The plastic can be easily cut with a knife even. We just need to find a sheet and do it. But we need to figure out the dimensions, or otherwise screw up the stock pads to salvage it (non-reversible short-cut).

Actually, I like the way you think. Let's make our own, and skip all the trouble. Just need to find the right sheet now.

Kydex can be formed with a heat gun, and might be perfect in thickness and durability.   I've never had to cut it though, so I don't know how that will work out.

https://amzn.com/B004UBUX5C

https://amzn.com/B00CBWNUR0 or the slightly thicker https://amzn.com/B00HFDNMN2

https://amzn.com/B009AEKJHQ

https://amzn.com/B00BOUUX6G might even work.

Actually I was thinking, bud... and I just realized something.

The inner plastic rings I think may have no affect on acoustics. I think they are to keep the pads firm. Is it me or did anyone else feel the EMU and probably the X00 pads are very firm, (I mean, it's not a good example, but probably like female chest implants). They're like very firm and stay in shape and like stay fresh, rather than being limpy or floppy, which pads become sometimes due to continuous pressing against the ears and then back to normal. They become kind of sloppy.

I think that is where the inner ring helps. I think if any aftermarket pads can stay firm, we may not need the inner rings. Cuz otherwise, the inner rings are glued in that way, and the pad-skin is tightened well to keep em firm for much longer. This is what we may have to do to keep our other pads firm if they ain't otherwise.

I actually liked the 0.08 black sheet. And black would look better. Stock white looks quite out of place to me, good that it stays hidden.

Oct 2, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #8,794 of 12,086
An important thing is pairing with the TH-X00. I use some bass heavy tubes (KenRad VT231 Black Glass) on my Liquid Glass amp and I do not hear any splashy treble at all. I actually find the treble refreshing and I generally hate harsh/sibilant treble. With some other brighter tubes, I find them a bit fatiguing sometimes yes. 

Oct 2, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #8,795 of 12,086

Crap, crap, crap. I loathed the sound of the original Denon. I'm getting very worried about my Ebonys now!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-foster-443742-variants-measurements (stolen from the bass thread).

If you hated the original Denon, why in the world did you buy the more or less same exact design?!

Oct 2, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #8,796 of 12,086
  Is it just me, or someone else also has the impression, that this review was not much fun for Tyll. Elevated bass and treble family of headphones is just not his thing.

eh, I have spoken to him personally, and this family is one of his favorite closed headphone families.  The D2000 and D5000 were only retired from the wall of fame because they were discontinued.  And the original CAL!, which is the same family and a similar sound are still on the wall of fame after over a decade.  

He has some criticisms, but he definitely views them as great for mid-price closed headphones.  He views the EMU Teak as a contender for best closed headphone, depending on what your preferences are.  They'll be on the wall of fame.

Oct 2, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #8,797 of 12,086
Nice review from the innerfidelity. Totally agree that these headphone are all somewhat on the bright side. 

While that's true, I own brighter.

As one in the 2nd half of his life, and spent a good many years of his mid to late teens with his head feet from Marshall stacks or PA speakers, and worked in machine manufacturing for many years without ear protection, that brightness is welcome. :wink:

Oct 2, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #8,798 of 12,086

The inner plastic rings I think may have no affect on acoustics. I think they are to keep the pads firm. Is it me or did anyone else feel the EMU and probably the X00 pads are very firm, (I mean, it's not a good example, but probably like female chest implants). They're like very firm and stay in shape and like stay fresh, rather than being limpy or floppy, which pads become sometimes due to continuous pressing against the ears and then back to normal. They become kind of sloppy.

I think that is where the inner ring helps. I think if any aftermarket pads can stay firm, we may not need the inner rings. Cuz otherwise, the inner rings are glued in that way, and the pad-skin is tightened well to keep em firm for much longer. This is what we may have to do to keep our other pads firm if they ain't otherwise.

I actually liked the 0.08 black sheet. And black would look better. Stock white looks quite out of place to me, good that it stays hidden.

I'm thinking, since you can form these sheets with heat, how hard would it be to make a custom headphone clam-shell case using them?   Get a few sheets, mold them loosely around your headphones, line with foam, rivet on some hinges and a clasp...   It might be something I can do for under $25.   I'm tempted to try, if for no other reason than to do something all crafty like.

As for the sound of the rings, I guess I can try to remove them from the earpads and test how it sounds.   I just don't want to mess the pads up.

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #8,799 of 12,086

I'm thinking, since you can form these sheets with heat, how hard would it be to make a custom headphone clam-shell case using them?   Get a few sheets, mold them loosely around your headphones, line with foam, rivet on some hinges and a clasp...

Hahah... yeah that too. But honestly, going through all that trouble, I'd actually recommend these instead:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Case-Travel-Bag-For-AKG-K701-702-Q701-Q702-K550-k551K612-k712-Headphones/252411313604?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3Da27ea924b8c84d56b4fb6973897b056a%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D302086694065

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FS-Travel-Hard-Case-Bag-Cover-Protect-For-AKG-K240-K545-K550-Q701-702-Headphone-/161994572122?hash=item25b7a1015a:g:iQwAAOSwv9hW19nk

I have the first one and I confirm that the Denon/Fostex/EMU family fits in there easy. I actually really find the the MrSpeakers carry case lovely myself though, and have it on my list. Can't have those bada$$ cans. May as well get their case :p

It's Made in USA anyhow (if they ain't lyin): https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/headphone-case/

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #8,803 of 12,086
  Hello,

Does anyone have this headphones stand? Which one do you think would fit the most with the X00s(mahogany)?

Mahogany? I can't decide.

http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Accessoires-casques/ROOMs-FS.html

Just check this before you bite any bullets. There may be something you may like here http://www.gearbest.com/headphone-stand-_gear/

The second-last one (red) looks fine for mahogany though, if u must.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #8,804 of 12,086

Lol someone will have to test if the inner plastic rings would have an effect. All I can tell is that the stock pads does make music sound more focused. Not sure if it is due to the smaller area for the ear or the inner plastic ring or both. 

Stock pads also gives more punchy bass compared to velour earpads

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #8,805 of 12,086

Lol someone will have to test if the inner plastic rings would have an effect. All I can tell is that the stock pads does make music sound more focused. Not sure if it is due to the smaller area for the ear or the inner plastic ring or both. 

Stock pads also gives more punchy bass compared to velour earpads

Partially done already. The inner plastic ring plate had been brought up a handful of times, but everybody (not literally) seemed to have confused it with the mounting ring.

It had been confirmed in the early days of this thread by the man behind TH-X00s himself, @WillBright at Massdrop, that the inner ring is indeed a part of the tuning.

These earpads (just pulled them off) are definitely interesting. They have a fairly hard white foam ring covering everywhere but the ear opening. Swapping to the HM5 pads, the minor peaks shift to different spots (closer to what I heard in the TH600 from HM5 pads).

I think what he's getting at is that if you want this smoothed out frequency response and bigger pads, you'll want to look into putting something in there between them.

I swapped over to Audeze vegan pads and put the little hard liner thing in. Still less treble-peaky than the TH600, but slightly more than the new stock pads.

I wonder what this white stuff is made of in the pads. It's kinda halfway between styrofoam and plastic. Maybe a styrene sheet like this? http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22883&catid=715

This could actually open up a pretty significant window into modding all headphones. One simple comment from the inestimable Will.

If I can find a fairly cheap and very thin sheet somewhere, I'll probably pick it up and experiment with various thicknesses stacked. Maybe I'll bug a local who is adept at frequency response measurements and see if we can get a bunch of measurements. No promises, and it would be weeks out if we're able to do it.

Edit: I should have some 0.02" high impact styrene on Tuesday.

Get some high density foam sheets as well. That ring under the earpads is highly important to the sound signature. Maybe even a couple layers of shelf liner? I haven't experimented much with alternate materials, but before we got started on this project I spent a lot of time taking apart and putting back together some TH-600s and 900s. Try taking the cups off sometime, see if the sound changes dramatically, one would think that right?

A Head-Fier here who has been doing various extensive modding experiments on these headphones also concluded that the inner ring is one reason making the stock pads sound like no others.

Were you one of those who tried the ZMF Omni pads?  Thought at least a couple of people in this thread tried them out and said they were more comfortable without changing the sound.

That one I have not. It'll change the sound. The THX00 pads have dampening/reflector disks in them. It would be impossible for the sound to not change.

That said, now we are going to have the Dekoni pads whose only differences between the stock pads is material and the (seemingly) lack of the inner ring, maybe we can do one final mythbuster soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back