Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Sep 29, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #8,731 of 12,086
 The measurements are interesting. It's pretty obvious the E-Mu and Massdrop cans are cut from very much the same cloth as the original Denon models. The Fostex TH900, TH900mk2, and TH610 are clearly different.

Crap, crap, crap. I loathed the sound of the original Denon. I'm getting very worried about my Ebonys now!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-foster-443742-variants-measurements (stolen from the bass thread).

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #8,732 of 12,086

Crap, crap, crap. I loathed the sound of the original Denon. I'm getting very worried about my Ebonys now!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-foster-443742-variants-measurements (stolen from the bass thread).

Measurement does not always shows the actual sound. It only gives you some information about the headphone. Only trust your ears.

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #8,733 of 12,086

Measurement does not always shows the actual sound. It only gives you some information about the headphone. Only trust your ears.

Indeed. Trusting the ears is imperative. BTW I love my ebony's to the bone...

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #8,734 of 12,086
  Given it was a collaboration between MD and Fostex, and MD are not satisfied with Fostex QC, and have paid their customers for the inconvenience I'd say the collaboration, and therefore the production, are over.
Not sure who owns the copyrights etc, buy would think it is part owned by both companies, so unless Fostex buy MDs share this HP is unlikely to be available again

So glad I got mine. :)

You are taking it too far... haha... Fostex is still trying to correct the problem and there is no news of Ebony halting, so that should still be in progress.

I agree with jeffri, on this issue . Unless it is a statement by the Fostex/Massdrop team it is then just someone's speculation. and should be indicated as so.
With all the rumors and speculations  this could unfairly effect someone's buy or selling of these headphones.

Sep 29, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #8,735 of 12,086
The next batch of the X00 should be back in high QC. Have fate in Massdrop and Fostex

Sep 30, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #8,737 of 12,086

Indeed. Trusting the ears is imperative. BTW I love my ebony's to the bone...

How were you able to bag an early order of the ebony's? are their some already floating around?

@Gavin C4
Amen to that brother! 

Oh that's easy. I got em off EMU directly. Shipped to me in 3 days for around $500. Why even drop em on Massdrop? Why even wait? People should actually just order directly. Have no quality/collaboration issues either. It was an excellent experience. The best I had. They shipped em and I got them the very next day (FedEx).

Sep 30, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #8,738 of 12,086
  How were you able to bag an early order of the ebony's? are their some already floating around?

@Gavin C4
Amen to that brother! 

Oh that's easy. I got em off EMU directly. Shipped to me in 3 days for around $500. Why even drop em on Massdrop? Why even wait? People should actually just order directly. Have no quality/collaboration issues either. It was an excellent experience. The best I had. They shipped em and I got them the very next day (FedEx).

Posting to clarify @AT Khan is referring to the E-MU Ebony, not the Massdrop/Fostex Ebony @avalanche is alluding to.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #8,739 of 12,086

@Gavin C4
Amen to that brother! 

Posting to clarify @AT Khan is referring to the E-MU Ebony, not the Massdrop/Fostex Ebony @avalanche is alluding to.

Oops... I secretly feel like a spammer.

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #8,741 of 12,086
Where do you get them from E-MU directly? I went looking, stumbled onto these...
E-mu Teak

Mine arrive today! I ordered the Teak headphones + rosewood cups.

Send an Email to our friend Chan at enquiry@emu.com. He will let you know pricing and options. You then make a payment to their PayPal account, and they will ship shortly after.

I paid last Friday, it shipped the on the following Tuesday. 3 days from China to the US. I will take that over a 2 month Massdrop wait!

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #8,742 of 12,086

Where do you get them from E-MU directly? I went looking, stumbled onto these...
E-mu Teak

Send an Email to our friend Chan at enquiry@emu.com. He will let you know pricing and options. You then make a payment to their PayPal account, and they will ship shortly after.

I paid last Friday, it shipped the on the following Tuesday. 3 days from China to the US. I will take that over a 2 month Massdrop wait!

Exactly as described here. Exactly. And yes, a quick custom order, I'll take over any day too, rather than wait with the Masses.

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #8,743 of 12,086

Those thinking of going the E-MU route.....one thing to be aware of (last time I knew) the Teak cups aren't available separately. Perhaps that has changed in the last couple months though.

So personally I'd purchase the Teak model, and additionally the Rosewood and/or Ebony cups as desired.

I do not own E-MU personally, this is only what I remember from reading a post by @fjrabon some time ago.

If fjrabon or someone else has more current info, please disregard.

P.S. Chan sounds like a great guy, if I had the money right now I'd go for E-MU's myself :)

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #8,744 of 12,086
I am planning to get the Brainwavz Pleather earpads for the X00. Is the Angled or non-Angled better? Any recommendation 

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #8,745 of 12,086
  I am planning to purchase Brainwavz Pleather earpads. Is the Angled or non-Angled better? Any recommendation 

For what? I don't recommend them for Fostex/EMU. I have the lambskin angled pads. Unless you can use the plastic plates somehow (that's inside the stock pads of x00/EMU, and I don't know how one can do it), it's gonna deteriorate the sound. I lost bass and stuff, and simply went back to stock protein pads. The plastic holder inside the stock pads really helps redirect sound and retain/add bass.

I use the HM5 pads on my JVC HA-SZ2000 as well as my Takstars, but not the EMUs. Just my two cents here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back