Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 30, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #8,476 of 12,078
You are right! I just tried replacing the pads with some random pads i found and it ruined the sound.

The Fostex Th-0X00 is definitely picky about the type of earpads that are compatible with it.

Hope the Alpha pads wont ruin the sound. From what everyone is saying though the Alpha pads seems like a good pair for the X00.

They're good with the X00. One thing you have to make sure you do though when you install them is make sure all the 4 locking plastic hooks are in place.

The thicker material of the Alpha pads gets caught up on those slots and sometimes the hooks don't make great contact. You just have to make sure you put pressure on all four sides with your hands and twist to lock.

The first time I put them on I was trying to figure out what the hell happened to the bass and then I realized only 3 out of the 4 clips had locked into place so the sound was escaping resulting in zero bass and weirdness. Then I got them on and my ears thanked me later. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #8,477 of 12,078
You are right! I just tried replacing the pads with some random pads i found and it ruined the sound.

The Fostex Th-0X00 is definitely picky about the type of earpads that are compatible with it.

Hope the Alpha pads wont ruin the sound. From what everyone is saying though the Alpha pads seems like a good pair for the X00.

Personally I found that Alpha pads made the mids a little recessed and the high a little harsher. Not terrible by any means, but ultimately I went back to the stock pads, despite them being less comfortable

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #8,478 of 12,078
Anyone else clearing up the bubble wrap marks on their own? I've tried with Turtle Wax automotive polish and that was NG. So, I think I might need something abrasive. Maybe a 1000 grit wet sand (just a few quick passes) and then the Turtle Wax?
ml What you want to use is Polishing Compound not wax. Use a moist soft cloth and rub gently especially around the logo. Mine took 3 to 4 applications to remove the bubble wrap marks.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #8,479 of 12,078
ml What you want to use is Polishing Compound not wax. Use a moist soft cloth and rub gently especially around the logo. Mine took 3 to 4 applications to remove the bubble wrap marks.

Doh! Dee de Dee!  I'll pick some up tomorrow and try again. Though, I'm also thinking of just sanding them and hitting them with a few coats of Satin Clear and keep them as "no name" or something. Wish Fostex was written on the side of the headband hinge or something so the cups could be pristine.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #8,480 of 12,078
  They're good with the X00. One thing you have to make sure you do though when you install them is make sure all the 4 locking plastic hooks are in place.

The thicker material of the Alpha pads gets caught up on those slots and sometimes the hooks don't make great contact. You just have to make sure you put pressure on all four sides with your hands and twist to lock.

The first time I put them on I was trying to figure out what the hell happened to the bass and then I realized only 3 out of the 4 clips had locked into place so the sound was escaping resulting in zero bass and weirdness. Then I got them on and my ears thanked me later. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the heads-up brother!

I probably wouldn't have figured it out :) I will be careful when I put them on.

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #8,481 of 12,078
Lawton has another set of mahogany cups for sale if anyone wants to snatch them up.

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/saleitems.html

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #8,482 of 12,078
I've had my PH for a few weeks, they've been a traveling companion on the road.  

My road rig is a AK240 paired with a Chord Hugo.  Probably overkill to have $3500 worth of source driving a $450 pair of headphones, but why the hell not?  People on planes think I'm nuts.  

The bass on the PH is crazy compared to the mahogany version.  It's a really fun headphone, which is what I'm looking for in a road can.  On a plane there's a lot of noise to contend with (duh!) and a headphone like the X00 is perfect, but a bit bulky.  

Soundstage can't compare with an open back headphone.  After hearing the Fostex TH-900, I lust for that headphone's clarity (at 3 times the price!).  But for what they are-- a sub $500 headphone, there's not a lot out there that competes-- maybe the HD-650-- I'd like to hear the new Audeze and Focal.  I feel the X00 bests my former sub-$500 champ the Bowers & Wilkins P7 by some margin.  

I have the same bubble wrap imprint issue-- I'm betting using an auto clay bar will take it out-- but these are going to get fairly abused traveling anyway, oh, and the product box was positively crushed by DHL (I threw it out).  

I prefer the X00 (both versions) driven with the Chord DACs over my tube amp at home.  I find they sound best out of the Chord Hugo TT.  

I won't be listening to these much at home-- they're not in the same league as the HD800 or HE1000 and I favor them with a digital source over LPs.  

I do like the PH more than the mahogany.  I don't know that I'll keep both in my headphone stable.  

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #8,483 of 12,078
  I've had my PH for a few weeks, they've been a traveling companion on the road.  

My road rig is a AK240 paired with a Chord Hugo.  Probably overkill to have $3500 worth of source driving a $450 pair of headphones, but why the hell not?  People on planes think I'm nuts.  

The bass on the PH is crazy compared to the mahogany version.  It's a really fun headphone, which is what I'm looking for in a road can.  On a plane there's a lot of noise to contend with (duh!) and a headphone like the X00 is perfect, but a bit bulky.  

Soundstage can't compare with an open back headphone.  After hearing the Fostex TH-900, I lust for that headphone's clarity (at 3 times the price!).  But for what they are-- a sub $500 headphone, there's not a lot out there that competes-- maybe the HD-650-- I'd like to hear the new Audeze and Focal.  I feel the X00 bests my former sub-$500 champ the Bowers & Wilkins P7 by some margin.  

I have the same bubble wrap imprint issue-- I'm betting using an auto clay bar will take it out-- but these are going to get fairly abused traveling anyway, oh, and the product box was positively crushed by DHL (I threw it out).  

I prefer the X00 (both versions) driven with the Chord DACs over my tube amp at home.  I find they sound best out of the Chord Hugo TT.  

I won't be listening to these much at home-- they're not in the same league as the HD800 or HE1000 and I favor them with a digital source over LPs.  

I do like the PH more than the mahogany.  I don't know that I'll keep both in my headphone stable.  

Man, taking almost $4000 worth with you as a portable rig is not too common. :) I am worrying to take my $1400 portable rig with me sometimes. :)
Also, is Hugo not too bulky? Mojo gives you almost the same for third of the price, and it is much smaller.
X00s don't seem to be the best portable headphones out there, especially on planes. They do not have much isolation, even if you do not worry about cosmetic damage. Are your neighbors not complaining about sound leakage when you listen to your X00s on a plane (on enjoyable volume level)?
I have been struggling to find headphones or IEMs with acceptable isolation for plane. Came to the conclusion, nothing really works apart of custom IEMs. (Haven't tried active noise cancelling though, but I have some aversion to those hps.)

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #8,484 of 12,078

I have been struggling to find headphones or IEMs with acceptable isolation for plane. Came to the conclusion, nothing really works apart of custom IEMs. (Haven't tried active noise cancelling though, but I have some aversion to those hps.)

I use Shure IEMs with Comply foam P-series tips and the isolation is awesome.

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #8,485 of 12,078

I use Shure IEMs with Comply foam P-series tips and the isolation is awesome.

Yeah, comply is alright, but you need to change them almost fortnightly, if you use them every day. So in long term it is worth to have customs.

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #8,486 of 12,078
Were you one of those who tried the ZMF Omni pads?  Thought at least a couple of people in this thread tried them out and said they were more comfortable without changing the sound.

That one I have not. It'll change the sound. The THX00 pads have dampening/reflector disks in them. It would be impossible for the sound to not change.

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #8,487 of 12,078

Man, taking almost $4000 worth with you as a portable rig is not too common. :) I am worrying to take my $1400 portable rig with me sometimes. :)
Also, is Hugo not too bulky? Mojo gives you almost the same for third of the price, and it is much smaller.
X00s don't seem to be the best portable headphones out there, especially on planes. They do not have much isolation, even if you do not worry about cosmetic damage. Are your neighbors not complaining about sound leakage when you listen to your X00s on a plane (on enjoyable volume level)?

yeah, I can't imagine using the THX00 on a plane.  Basically the only things that work for me on a plane are noise cancelling or sealed IEMs.  Otherwise I'd have to play my music at hearing damaging levels to drown out passenger/engine noise.  Even sealed closed headphones like the Shure SRH840 or Audeze Sine won't work for me on a plane, let alone a closed/non-sealed design like the THX00.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #8,488 of 12,078

yeah, I can't imagine using the THX00 on a plane.  Basically the only things that work for me on a plane are noise cancelling or sealed IEMs.  Otherwise I'd have to play my music at hearing damaging levels to drown out passenger/engine noise.  Even sealed closed headphones like the Shure SRH840 or Audeze Sine won't work for me on a plane, let alone a closed/non-sealed design like the THX00.

Same for me.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #8,489 of 12,078
I tried my lucks with the vmoda m100 and ath msr7, which IMO is much better at blocking outside noise and well, it was to no avail. They couldn't block the noise on the metro... So while I have never tried the thx00 on a plane, I think it won't do.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #8,490 of 12,078
I tried my lucks with the vmoda m100 and ath msr7, which IMO is much better at blocking outside noise and well, it was to no avail. They couldn't block the noise on the metro... So while I have never tried the thx00 on a plane, I think it won't do.

I also owned M100 (with XL pads) and tried it on plane. Not enough isolation for me. Makes it hard to imagine X00s would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back