Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 13, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #7,338 of 12,086
Ebony. Lol. Maybe I did right not jumping on the previous ones!

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #7,339 of 12,086
For those looking to upgrade their ear pads to leather, a lot of people have been using our Alpha Pads, but the ETHER C angled pads may fit better.  

I had to stretch the Alpha pads a little to get the plastic rings on, but it took less than a minute each. Other than the Ether C pads fitting a little better, how do they differ in physical dimensions? Stock TH-X00 to Lawton pads was night and day in comfort for me, but going to Alpha pads from Lawton was as much of a (positive) difference in comfort if not more.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #7,341 of 12,086
popcorn.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #7,342 of 12,086
Maybe they look better up close, but from far away the Ebony doesn't look special or exceptional in any way. Pretty meh. But cool for those going for a more low key look.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #7,344 of 12,086
I've gotten a bunch of emails regarding the Omni pads and how they fit on the THxx, they fit perfectly and have no issue attaching to the rings and then to the cups. 

Soundwise I hadn't had a chance to try them until today, and I'm really happy with the result.  Overall the frequency response is unaffected, with maybe a little more top top sparkle on the Omni pads and more left/right stage size, but aside from that very close.  I'm happy that they didn't change the sound much as I really like the thxx as is, they are for sure very very comfy with the Omni pads and I would definitely recommend them over the oval pads we make in any material.

The new Ebony model looks great, I don't need two THxx's right!?

Some quick snaps:

Also a quick take on our measurement setup, variance from other setups ofcourse but you get the idea.  Yellow is Omni pads and Green is stock.  Very close!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 13, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #7,345 of 12,086
I had to stretch the Alpha pads a little to get the plastic rings on, but it took less than a minute each. Other than the Ether C pads fitting a little better, how do they differ in physical dimensions? Stock TH-X00 to Lawton pads was night and day in comfort for me, but going to Alpha pads from Lawton was as much of a (positive) difference in comfort if not more.

They are ~8cm in diameter (they're round) for starters, which should fit better than the oval Alpha Pads.  The fit will be easier and the pad geometry will stay stable, which is good for comfort and seal.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 13, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #7,346 of 12,086
  I've gotten a bunch of emails regarding the Omni pads and how they fit on the THxx, they fit perfectly and have no issue attaching to the rings and then to the cups. 

Soundwise I hadn't had a chance to try them until today, and I'm really happy with the result.  Overall the frequency response is unaffected, with maybe a little more top top sparkle on the Omni pads and more left/right stage size, but aside from that very close.  I'm happy that they didn't change the sound much as I really like the thxx as is, they are for sure very very comfy with the Omni pads and I would definitely recommend them over the oval pads we make in any material.

The new Ebony model looks great, I don't need two THxx's right!?

Some quick snaps:

Also a quick take on our measurement setup, variance from other setups ofcourse but you get the idea.  Yellow is Omni pads and Green is stock.  Very close!

I've been using ZMF Cowhide pads on my TH-X00's from day one. They sound fantastic! Much more comfortable as well.

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #7,347 of 12,086
The final installment of Massdrop's Fostex partnership is coming. The third of their highly regarded trio.

Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Ebony Headphones

According to the email, The TH-X00 Ebony will be available for purchase this Friday, July 15 at 9 a.m. EST / 6 a.m. PST in limited quantities.

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #7,349 of 12,086
The final installment of Massdrop's Fostex partnership is coming. The third of their highly regarded trio.

Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Ebony Headphones

According to the email, The TH-X00 Ebony will be available for purchase this Friday, July 15 at 9 a.m. EST / 6 a.m. PST in limited quantities.

You can read detailed post about this a few pages back. People have been crying already.

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #7,350 of 12,086
A brilliant rhetorical move by Jude pictorially that I think has gone unconsciously noticed by most. Seriously an amazing job at taking pictures.

If you look at the original photo, notice how the Ebony, which he likes the best, is the most clearly focused in the forefront while the image gets progressively blurry, finally landing on the PurpleHeart.

I just thought this was a very witty use of the camera to support an argument. 

Brilliant work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back