Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 12, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #7,261 of 12,078
The hm5 hybrids definitely don't seal better than the stock ones. I can't see the regular hm5's seal better than the stock pads. With the stock pads your ears are going to be close to the driver. However the stock pads have a large plastic piece in them which covers a small portion of the driver. The hm5 hybrids make a perfect circle around the driver. I use the hybrids with my x-00's, they clear up the mids but bring down the bass a bit. If you like bass then leave the stock pads. The hybrids will bring more treble. I would like to try the regular hm5's because they would probably bring more bass because of the better seal but still have the clear mids, correct me if I'm wrong.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #7,263 of 12,078
  The hm5 hybrids definitely don't seal better than the stock ones. I can't see the regular hm5's seal better than the stock pads. With the stock pads your ears are going to be close to the driver. However the stock pads have a large plastic piece in them which covers a small portion of the driver. The hm5 hybrids make a perfect circle around the driver. I use the hybrids with my x-00's, they clear up the mids but bring down the bass a bit. If you like bass then leave the stock pads. The hybrids will bring more treble. I would like to try the regular hm5's because they would probably bring more bass because of the better seal but still have the clear mids, correct me if I'm wrong.

Bass is the number one reason I like X00s (refinement, details, clarity are second). No pad change for me. Thankfully I have a smaller than average ears, and stock pads have become more comfortable after 1-2 months of use.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #7,264 of 12,078
I got my X00s last night. I am happy to report that they're certainly as good as people made them out to be. I see the wood and I immediately want to start polishing and cleaning it hehe.

So since these are massdrop does that mean we contact the manufacturer about potential warranty work? Does anyone know what sort of warranty they come with?

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #7,265 of 12,078

Bass is the number one reason I like X00s (refinement, details, clarity are second). No pad change for me. Thankfully I have a smaller than average ears, and stock pads have become more comfortable after 1-2 months of use.

I've tried a couple of other pads with the THX00 (th900 and eBay denon pads) but they lose a bit of magic (bass impact) I feel, stock pads are very comfy.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #7,266 of 12,078
...I tried them now with Lawson Pads and ZMF Cowhide pads, both angle designs, especially the ZMFs super comfortable. In both cases the sound became too bright. The cavities are simply too big, so the bass loses energy and the headphones fall to the "bright side of life". So I can not recommend that.

But I wish there was a pad just a bit thicker than the genuine X00's, but therefore a little softer; and made of real cowhide leather!!!

As such I can confirm this fellow headfier's statement here.

You really want lamb skin pads...when the Purplehearts come in I have original J-Money lambskin pads on my Denon AH-D2000's that I want to try out, they look to be similar to the stock TH-X00 pads in shape and size and are VERY comfortable.

i-cK4p624.jpg

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #7,272 of 12,078

The original X00 pads.

Hmm the hole in the pad just looked bigger than the stock pads

Optical illusion because of the camera angle (that makes the opening appear more round than oval) and because the right ear cup is visually covering the straight part of the pad, so your brain is complementing the picture and assumes that the pad has got a rounded shape where it is covered although it has got a straight shape right there. 
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #7,273 of 12,078
Hi all, I'm a long time lurker so this is my first post. Firstly, thanks to the Head-Fi community for the useful information and tips I've read.

Thanks to this thread and the reviews I jumped on a pair of TH-X00s during the February drop. I was a bit nervous as it's the most I've invested in a pair of headphones but I'm so glad I did as they sound super!

As a spectacles wearer I personally find the stock pads uncomfortable. They sit as much on my ear as around them, pressing the top of my ears against the spectacle frames. They're fine without spectacles but I need to listen whilst wearing spectacles.

I tried some Brainwavz pleather angle pads as they're affordable. The bass is reduced and they seem overly bright, as others noted I think. To my ears the mid-range sounded recessed and slightly hollow and the treble very hollow and somehow 'thin' despite being strong in quantity. Apologies if that sounds weird/not sufficiently descriptive, it's as close as I can get. The soundstage did feel more spacious though.

I find the angle pads much more comfy than stock when wearing spectacles so after reading this and other threads/forums I thought I'd try stuffing a strip of foam around the inside edge of the angle pads, theorising it might soak up the excess treble energy and this, surprisingly, works for me. The hollowness is gone and treble more balanced and natural. Midrange is restored, bass partially restored and sufficient for me, and the soundstage still feels a bit more spacious than stock.
Sounds a little mad I know so please don't bash me too hard if you disagree
normal_smile .gif

My gut feeling is the stock pads still sound better overall - I've not properly compared yet - but the sound is close enough and still highly engaging to my ears. I also managed to get some of the Denon D2000 plastic ring mounts (POM plates) so I can always swap back to stock pads when the mood swings.

The foam used is protective foam that came with a mobile phone screen protector, so nothing fancy let alone acoustic, but it cost nothing so I gave it a try.

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #7,275 of 12,078
Here are measurements comparing the Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Mahogany and TH-X00 Purpleheart, frequency response and total harmonic distortion (THD):

​

(Above) Frequency response: Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Mahogany. (Click on image to see full size.)
 ​
(Above) Total harmonic distortion (THD): Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Mahogany. (Click on image to see full size.)​
 ​
(Above) Frequency response: Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Purpleheart. (Click on image to see full size.)​
 ​
(Above) Total harmonic distortion (THD): Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Purpleheart. (Click on image to see full size.)​
 ​
(Above) Frequency response: Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Mahogany (brown) and TH-X00 Purpleheart (purple).
(Click on image to see full size.)
 ​
(Above) Total harmonic distortion (THD): Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Mahogany (brown) and TH-X00 Purpleheart (purple).
(Click on image to see full size.)
 ​
NOTE: The measurements reflect diffuse field correction applied via the APx555's input EQ.​
 ​

​
Audio measurements were made using:
  1. Audio Precision APx555 audio analyzer
  2. G.R.A.S. 45CA Headphone/Hearing-protector Test Fixture
    1. G.R.A.S. KB0072/KB0073 small pinnae; G.R.A.S. RA0045 IEC 60318-4 ear simulators including G.R.A.S. 40AG microphones; G.R.A.S. 26AS 1/4" microphone preamplifier; G.R.A.S. 12AP microphone power module
  3. Rupert Neve Designs RNHP headphone amplifier
  4. Herzan acoustic enclosure (custom)

These measurements were also added to the first post in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back