Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 11, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #7,246 of 12,078
I personally have never modded headphones before. I've never felt a reason to. Never wanted to experiment with different pads or anything like that (I refuse to change cables unless my cables unless I have a legitimate cable issue). I am happy with the stock Mahogany's. They sound amazing, they're comfortable, the long cable doesn't bother me one bit (got used to it from owning the Denon D2000).

However, everyone is different. Modding is a huge part of the headfi community and this hobby in general.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #7,247 of 12,078
  I personally have never modded headphones before. I've never felt a reason to. Never wanted to experiment with different pads or anything like that (I refuse to change cables unless my cables unless I have a legitimate cable issue). I am happy with the stock Mahogany's. They sound amazing, they're comfortable, the long cable doesn't bother me one bit (got used to it from owning the Denon D2000).

However, everyone is different. Modding is a huge part of the headfi community and this hobby in general.

Sure, I know that, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I just do not understand if someone wants to mod a newly bought headphone without giving it a chance to fully experience stock version.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #7,248 of 12,078

Sure, I know that, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I just do not understand if someone wants to mod a newly bought headphone without giving it a chance to fully experience stock version.

I agree with you. The only reason I can would mod straight away is if I put a new pair of headphones on my head and the pads don't feel right on my ears. That's about the only time I would mod my headphones right away.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #7,249 of 12,078

I agree with you. The only reason I can would mod straight away is if I put a new pair of headphones on my head and the pads don't feel right on my ears. That's about the only time I would mod my headphones right away.

Agreed. That is what I did with my M100 long time ago. Went straight for XL pads as stock pads were painful after 30 mins. But other than comfort I cant justify instant mod.

Jul 11, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #7,250 of 12,078
I think that because fjrabon is so reputable and well knowledged that people automatically assume the Lawton mod makes the headphones better. People need to realize modding is more a preference thing and not be so quick to jump the gun. I personally wouldn't do a Lawton tune up or pad swap because I actually like the bloom the stock TH-X00 provides.

Jul 11, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #7,251 of 12,078
The pads had to go as soon as I put the TH-X00 on my head. Luckily I already had Lawton pads from my TH-600. I also knew I hated the 10 ft cable from the TH-X00, hence the removable cable mod. Other than that the ebony cups will be the first mod after having the TH-X00 since the first drop. I didn't like the Lawton mods on the TH-600 so I'll be skipping them on the TH-X00.

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #7,252 of 12,078
The pads had to go as soon as I put the TH-X00 on my head. Luckily I already had Lawton pads from my TH-600. I also knew I hated the 10 ft cable from the TH-X00, hence the removable cable mod. Other than that the ebony cups will be the first mod after having the TH-X00 since the first drop. I didn't like the Lawton mods on the TH-600 so I'll be skipping them on the TH-X00.

Same with me as far as comfort of the pads goes.  I however chose the Alpha pads.

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #7,253 of 12,078
JUST got a notice from MassDrop that the Purple Hearts are still on track for 8/19... Gotta make sure I have the money for the cable upgrade to with the Cavalli LC I have on order... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #7,254 of 12,078

While I agree with most of your comments, wanted to add that changing pads is not just for sound for some, it could be for comfort also.  As for the cable, I don't like cables that can't be changed due to how I use my headphones, if at my desk or out on the lanai I want a short cable but in the living room were my main setup is l need cables 9-10ft so I can sit in my recliner.

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #7,255 of 12,078
Anyone know if Massdrop sell just the purple heart cups for people like me who bought the X00 with mahogany?

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #7,257 of 12,078

While I agree with most of your comments, wanted to add that changing pads is not just for sound for some, it could be for comfort also.  As for the cable, I don't like cables that can't be changed due to how I use my headphones, if at my desk or out on the lanai I want a short cable but in the living room were my main setup is l need cables 9-10ft so I can sit in my recliner.

I probably should have clarified that part. I actually meant changing pads more for comfort sake than sound, which is why I said, "The only reason I can would mod straight away is if I put a new pair of headphones on my head and the pads don't feel right on my ears".

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #7,258 of 12,078
...I tried them now with Lawson Pads and ZMF Cowhide pads, both angle designs, especially the ZMFs super comfortable. In both cases the sound became too bright. The cavities are simply too big, so the bass loses energy and the headphones fall to the "bright side of life". So I can not recommend that.

But I wish there was a pad just a bit thicker than the genuine X00's, but therefore a little softer; and made of real cowhide leather!!!

As such I can confirm this fellow headfier's statement here.

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #7,259 of 12,078
I have hm5 hybrids and I personally prefer them over the stock pads. The stock pads bring too much bass in my opinion, almost mushy. The hm5 hybrids lower the bass a bit and clears the mids (1901//Pheonix- Test song). The comfort with the hm5's is better in my opinion, they don't get as hot. Not to mention the soundstage is slightly increased with the hm5's. Someone let me know if you disagree, this is opinionated.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #7,260 of 12,078
Yes I would cherish the stock pads, the cables, everything. Until the point I find it discomfortable / annoying, then only I would consider to mod it. Well it's my first mid-fi set of cans anyway.

I won't mod it according to people's opinion because it's will probably suit (or not at all) my ears better than them. Just my opinion though. Hopefully it'll be just fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back