Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 25, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #4,186 of 12,086

That's good to hear.

I just ordered these from a fellow Headfier, and I have the flat Brianwavz pads, which I like quite a bit. I'll probably end up using those, unless my research indicates the BW angled or Alpha pads are a better fit. 

I'll be using these for a lot of metal music and some gaming, to complement my HIFIMAN HE-400i. I was just a little concerned about the bass being a little loose for me, but maybe I'll like them. I liked the Fidelio X2s. 

I'm pretty excited!

I would stick with stock pads for the thx00. Brainwavz and alpha pads are MUCH more comfy, but do remove the fancy bass these are becoming famous for.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #4,187 of 12,086
I would stick with stock pads for the thx00. Brainwavz and alpha pads are MUCH more comfy, but do remove the fancy bass these are becoming famous for.

Depends, as I think some people can't get a good seal due to their ear shape with the stock pads. And insufficient seal will kill their bass in a hurry.

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #4,188 of 12,086
I looove the stock pads.  Last night, I had the cans on my head forever, listening to some tunes for hours until the wee hours of the morning.  The pads felt to my ears like the caress of soft fluffy feathers the whole time--I might just as well have had "air" on my ears...  And this may be related to the genre of music I usually  listen to, but I do not hear the "bass bloat" or "bloom" some owners are referring to...  These cans came out kicking and slamming hard and sweet right out of the gate, and all in a good way...  Even though I have started putting them through the break-in process to see how that affects the sound,  I have to say am doing that reluctantly because I normally do not like doing things to "fix" things that do not sound "broken" to me in the first place... For the same reasons, I am hesitant to try on the Alpha pads which I ordered in December, although they're sitting on my desk here staring at me expectantly since they arrived...  I also have the Brainwavz pleather pads, which I have never tried on before...  Well one day their time will come.  In the meantime, I am really enjoying these cans... I guess that is what I meant to say all along....  Once again
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #4,189 of 12,086
I looove the stock pads.  Last night, I had the cans on my head forever, listening to some tunes for hours until the wee hours of the morning.  The pads felt to my ears like the caress of soft fluffy feathers the whole time--I might just as well have had "air" on my ears...  And this may be related to the genre of music I usually  listen to, but I do not hear the "bass bloat" or "bloom" some owners are referring to...  These cans came out kicking and slamming hard and sweet right out of the gate, and all in a good way...  Even though I have started putting them through the break-in process to see how that affects the sound,  I have to say am doing that reluctantly because I normally do not like doing things to "fix" things that do not sound "broken" to me in the first place... For the same reasons, I am hesitant to try on the Alpha pads which I ordered in December, although they're sitting on my desk here staring at me expectantly since they arrived...  I also have the Brainwavz pleather pads, which I have never tried on before...  Well one day their time will come.  In the meantime, I am really enjoying these cans... I guess that is what I meant to say all along....  Once again:)

Try the Alpha pads! I want to hear comparisons! :D

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #4,190 of 12,086
That's good to hear.

I just ordered these from a fellow Headfier, and I have the flat Brianwavz pads, which I like quite a bit. I'll probably end up using those, unless my research indicates the BW angled or Alpha pads are a better fit. 

I'll be using these for a lot of metal music and some gaming, to complement my HIFIMAN HE-400i. I was just a little concerned about the bass being a little loose for me, but maybe I'll like them. I liked the Fidelio X2s. 

I'm pretty excited!

The angled BW are a bit smaller than the non angled ones according to description on Amazon UK and some people mentioned that they didn't fit the ring. Not tried myself.

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #4,191 of 12,086
Yeah an idea if you got to much bass is perhaps trying to brake the seal somehow. I don´t recon there is a lot that find these bass light with stock pads in any situation anyway :)

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #4,192 of 12,086
  I looove the stock pads.  Last night, I had the cans on my head forever, listening to some tunes for hours until the wee hours of the morning.  The pads felt to my ears like the caress of soft fluffy feathers the whole time--I might just as well have had "air" on my ears...  And this may be related to the genre of music I usually  listen to, but I do not hear the "bass bloat" or "bloom" some owners are referring to...  These cans came out kicking and slamming hard and sweet right out of the gate, and all in a good way...  Even though I have started putting them through the break-in process to see how that affects the sound,  I have to say am doing that reluctantly because I normally do not like doing things to "fix" things that do not sound "broken" to me in the first place... For the same reasons, I am hesitant to try on the Alpha pads which I ordered in December, although they're sitting on my desk here staring at me expectantly since they arrived...  I also have the Brainwavz pleather pads, which I have never tried on before...  Well one day their time will come.  In the meantime, I am really enjoying these cans... I guess that is what I meant to say all along....  Once again
smily_headphones1.gif

Great.  No need to mess with other pads when you're enjoying them so much.  And no break-in process is necessary other than listening, so have no fear.

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #4,193 of 12,086
I decided to stick with the stock pads after all. Alpha pads are up for sale if anyone is interested!

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #4,194 of 12,086
Has anyone dabbled with the leather audeze pads on the TH-x00s? How are the comfort/sound in comparison to the stock pads?

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #4,195 of 12,086
  Has anyone dabbled with the leather audeze pads on the TH-x00s? How are the comfort/sound in comparison to the stock pads?

how would you do this?  aren't the leather audeze pads applied via a double sided adhesive ring?

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #4,196 of 12,086

Depends, as I think some people can't get a good seal due to their ear shape with the stock pads. And insufficient seal will kill their bass in a hurry.

Yes, getting a proper seal will be key, especially since I wear glasses much of the time.

I'll try both, and see what happens.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #4,198 of 12,086
Stock pads are great, until the heat settles in.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #4,199 of 12,086
If I terminate the stock cable with a 2.5mm TTRS plug, can I run TH-X00 balanced with a player like Onkyo DP-X1? If that's possible, does anyone know the pin out? I know the stock cable has 4 wires, Left, Right with an individual ground twisted around each.

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #4,200 of 12,086
  If I terminate the stock cable with a 2.5mm TTRS plug, can I run TH-X00 balanced with a player like Onkyo DP-X1? If that's possible, does anyone know the pin out? I know the stock cable has 4 wires, Left, Right with an individual ground twisted around each.

You can make any headphones balanced. Unless Onkyo does some funny stuff, it should be the same pinout for everything. I am pretty sure 2.5mm balanced is standardized? could be wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back