Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 12, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #3,946 of 12,086
  The 3m adhesive is suppose to be paint friendly and therefore should be clearcoat friendly. I am more concerned about the fact that I installed it on my right earcup and not my left one LOL.

That's what they say but they don't take into account how well something was painted/coated. I've had a bad case with 3M Black double sided tape but that tape is weather resistant and is one of their strongest ones. Plus the surface I was using it on probably wasn't well painted to begin with..

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #3,947 of 12,086
Anyone have pictures of how the TH-X00 looks with the Alpha pads on them? Wondering if they're too big and will strain the pivots and/or headband on the headphones.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #3,948 of 12,086
Anyone have pictures of how the TH-X00 looks with the Alpha pads on them? Wondering if they're too big and will strain the pivots and/or headband on the headphones.

Yes these are from Mr Speakers. No, they're not the wrong shape, they actually fit if you stretch the earpads around the plastic mounting ring. I will post more pictures but I am about to leave right now.

Top photo is me wearing them from the front, they don't look as big because they are angled from the back. The bass with the Alpha pads is a clear improvement over the stock pads. I was listening to E-40, Young Thug "Barter 6", 2Pac, Young Jeezy and I can confirm these are less muddy than the stock pads bass with better decay. I listen to rap and hip-hop with some really heavy bass and these are like subwoofers for your head. The stock pads sounded too bright for my ears with the highs, the bass was a bit muddy, and there wasn't nearly as much room for my ears. I also didn't think I needed to specify that the Alpha pads are from MrSpeakers cause most people on Head-fi know that already

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #3,949 of 12,086
Thanks! They look huge compared to the stock ones. Looks very comfortable though, definitely want to give it a try.

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #3,950 of 12,086
you may want to check the 6.5 to 3.5 adapter. The one provided by MD is terrible and slips out without notice.

Yea... the one MD provided is actually from MonoPrice, an gawd bless their web site, I've gotten MANY cables from them an never had any issues [except for with well this golden 6.5 to 3.5 adpater]

but honestly, you can find a couple of nice 3inch cable adapters that work better imo. Given how much heavier 6.5mm is than 3.5mm, I'm finding that having some cable inbtween the two ends helps alot! 

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #3,952 of 12,086
  Thanks! They look huge compared to the stock ones. Looks very comfortable though, definitely want to give it a try.

They look bigger from the back though. Because they are angled, the pads slope out larger behind your ears. From the front though, you can tell they are angling out from the back but they don't look nearly as huge on your head.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #3,953 of 12,086

They look bigger from the back though. Because they are angled, the pads slope out larger behind your ears. From the front though, you can tell they are angling out from the back but they don't look nearly as huge on your head.

Oh right that's true. I hope it's still a great sound with the Alpha pads. I already enjoy the sound with the stock ones, just wanted something a bit more spacious and soft.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #3,954 of 12,086
I had alpha pads on my X00. Be warned, they do change the sound so it's really up to personal taste.

With alpha pads, the sound is spacious, and less congested (bloating bass is gone). At the same time, some lower midrange body also disappeared, which makes the sound less intimate. I do prefer this over the stock sound.

Did I mention the alpha pads are infinitely more comfy?

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #3,955 of 12,086
  I had alpha pads on my X00. Be warned, they do change the sound so it's really up to personal taste.

With alpha pads, the sound is spacious, and less congested (bloating bass is gone). At the same time, some lower midrange body also disappeared, which makes the sound less intimate. I do prefer this over the stock sound.

That's good to know. I heard there will be more sub-bass too, is that the case for you? I can sacrifice a little bit of preferred sound over way better comfort. Most important part is that the bass is still very present. It's supposed to be my fun and bass heavy headphone to compliment my HD800.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #3,957 of 12,086

Well I don't feel the Alpha pads remove any low end body, rather they remove any low end Bloom or decay. But I prefer a drier sound overall, a little bit of decay is nice, but stokc TH X00 has to much imo. The irony here is my LA D5k sounds best with my Hybrid Tube xD as it's TOO dry SOME times, other times it's perfect

but I'd rather to little decay than to much. You can add a lot easier than you can take away 

Plus I find the many of the lower mid range details to come a live a little bit more with less bloom an deacy 

That's good to know. I heard there will be more sub-bass too, is that the case for you? I can sacrifice a little bit of preferred sound over way better comfort. Most important part is that the bass is still very present. It's supposed to be my fun and bass heavy headphone to compliment my HD800.

Well... I think it removes a lot of the Mid Bass Decay, making the Sub Bass stand out more! 

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #3,958 of 12,086
  Bass definition is improved and cleaner with that bloating gone.

Still very fun to listen to. (My reference is a well amped HE6.)

That sounds good. Will definitely give it a try!

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #3,959 of 12,086

That sounds good. Will definitely give it a try!

I'm excited I'm getting mine recabled to 4PIN xlr, so I can finally "hear them for the first time" properly amped on my rig :D

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #3,960 of 12,086
I'm excited I'm getting mine recabled to 4PIN xlr, so I can finally "hear them for the first time" properly amped on my rig :D

Wow cool. How would you get it recabled? They aren't detatchable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back