Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 30, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #3,601 of 12,078
  ^ Yes, with stock pads. Not interested in changing the pads, as I doubt that would change the sound enough to get me to like it, and I vastly prefer the Audio-Technica MSR7 at this point by a huge margin.

I've been listening to mine solidly for classical music, and I also find the imaging of TH-X00 quite unusual, though I really enjoy it.

I think it has a very deep forward projection but narrow side to side stereo, so it's almost like listening to a surround sound movie at the furthest back seat at a movie theatre.  I went to watch Star Wars and then I listened to some Mahler symphonies on TH-X00 and realised the similarities in presentation.

I also own the MSR7 and think it's a major bargain at that price, but the imaging is polar opposite to the TH-X00 where the analytical detail is there but doesn't give me a speaker (or concert seat) like projection. On the other hand, TH-X00 is too laid back.

By the way, does anybody know what's the headphones on the HP-A4BL amp's official glamour shot? It looks like the new TH900MK2 (with the replaceable cables) but the body colour is like TH-X00. Maybe it's just the lighting.

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #3,603 of 12,078
have you tried it directly out of your phone/ipod ? 
Quote:
  Seems like this thread has been really declining in activity recently, compared to before when the headphones weren't yet shipping.....?

Anyway, just an updated impression:

You know how most people say the more they listen to a new headphone, the more they like it? Well in my case it's exactly the opposite. The more I listen to the TH-X00, the less I like it. It sounds comparatively worse directly out of my computers than out of my dedicated "Head-Fi" setup (Bifrost 4490 to a Garage1217 Project Solstice currently), enough that I don't think I can really tolerate it directly out of my computers, which is a shame because both the Yamaha MT220 and Audio-Technica MSR7 perform comparatively better straight out of my computers.

Also, it has some treble recession (I don't know at which frequency) that negatively affects high-pitched violin tones, leading me to conclude that I can't use it for classical music.

The imaging is also off to me and I still can't wrap my head around it, when nearly every other headphone I curently own has completely-convincing imaging (DT990-600, K712, HD600, R70x, MT220, MSR7). Literally the only music I can play through it that doesn't confuse me is non-ambient electronica.

I really liked the TH900 when I owned it, and didn't mind the TH600 either when I had that briefly, so I'm not sure why I'm not liking the TH-X00 as much I do. I'm just finding it to be a really annoying listen in nearly all respects. I'm honestly trying to like it but just can't.....

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #3,604 of 12,078

I've been listening to mine solidly for classical music, and I also find the imaging of TH-X00 quite unusual, though I really enjoy it.

I think it has a very deep forward projection but narrow side to side stereo, so it's almost like listening to a surround sound movie at the furthest back seat at a movie theatre.  I went to watch Star Wars and then I listened to some Mahler symphonies on TH-X00 and realised the similarities in presentation.

I also own the MSR7 and think it's a major bargain at that price, but the imaging is polar opposite to the TH-X00 where the analytical detail is there but doesn't give me a speaker (or concert seat) like projection. On the other hand, TH-X00 is too laid back.

By the way, does anybody know what's the headphones on the HP-A4BL amp's official glamour shot? It looks like the new TH900MK2 (with the replaceable cables) but the body colour is like TH-X00. Maybe it's just the lighting.

I have added the foam padding disc, from Lawton Audio that I do not use with my TH-900, and also changed the pads to the TH-600/900 pads and also added the "drawer lining mod" (see pictures) and this makes the X00 sound very close to my TH-600 (with Lawton damping on the back of the driver, which I have not done (yet) on the X00 and the cup damping (also not done on X00) and the drawer lining mod) and I really like it now.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #3,606 of 12,078
Hybrid HM5 pads arrived this morning and I still hadn't received my THX00.... though I was thankful to finally get it a few hours later.

Loving these with some Tool at the moment.

Really surprised how good the stock pads actually are. Thought i'd have no chance fitting my ears in them. 

Might hold off on the pad change till I get a better feel for them stock.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #3,607 of 12,078
What pads are you using here?

These are the TH-600/TH-900 (they are the same on both) pads. They really change the sound dramatically towards, for me, a more even high mid/treble range response, be it a rather hot one. The liner modification helps there, a little. I tried the stock pads of the X00 on my TH-600, and AHD5000 and on both it makes it sound very different with less mid high frequency response, which to me sounds more coloured than with the TH-600 pads.

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #3,609 of 12,078

These are the TH-600/TH-900 (they are the same on both) pads. They really change the sound dramatically towards, for me, a more even high mid/treble range response, be it a rather hot one. The liner modification helps there, a little. I tried the stock pads of the X00 on my TH-600, and AHD5000 and on both it makes it sound very different with less mid high frequency response, which to me sounds more coloured than with the TH-600 pads.

Do you feel you get less bass boom with the TH-600/TH-900 pads? 

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #3,610 of 12,078
So much talking of modding, am I the only one who just likes them as they are? 

Awesome with metal.

I don't intend to do any modding on my pair either. I love how it sounds with dance, edm, metal..
Its definitely not a jack of all trades phone, and for the other genres that's what my other headphones are for.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #3,611 of 12,078
I use these pads (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261349307920) with my X00 and it tames the mid bass clearing up the mids. Makes them clearer but not as forward as with the stock pads. At the same time they increase the treble. Could make them harsh for some. I also notice a slightly wider stage. Just my 2 cents. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #3,613 of 12,078
I think its just a matter of getting used to the Fostex house sound. I like these quite a lot in stock form now. Yesterday I listened to some older (late 90's/early 2000's for the EDM kids) Chemical Brothers and Crystal Method albums and I forgot just how deep and nicely textured the bass was on a lot of that stuff.

Trip Like I Do is like having a 5 minute ear massage

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #3,614 of 12,078
  Do you feel you get less bass boom with the TH-600/TH-900 pads? 

Yes a little, but the whole sound signature changes. When applying all the Lawton materials, the damping strips to the back of the driver, and the inside of the cup, and the foam against that in the cup, the bass of theTH-600 evened out, taking away the mid bass hump it had, a very balanced sound. The X00 comes very close to that now, with slightly less low bass, which may make it sound a tad brighter. (to me with the TH-600 pads it did not have this mid bass accent that the TH-600 did have.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #3,615 of 12,078
 So much talking of modding, am I the only one who just likes them as they are? 

Awesome with metal.

Nope you're not the only one and I'm sure there are others. I personally like the
way they sound as is, no need for cable mods or pad swapping for now but may be later just for curiosity sakes. I can see where others are coming from with a cable mod to go balanced or making them swappable to a shorter length, but I don't find the cable length to be a problem for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back