Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 19, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #3,136 of 12,086
First and last impression: Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00 + Sony ZX2 = Perfect. Listened to 5 seconds of Ellie Goulding and Star Wars The Force Awakens OST and this combo is perfection for me. I prefer the Sony house sound and have headphones that are warm/slightly V shaped/wide soundstage (Sony ZX5, Sony XBA H3, Sony XBA 4, Philips A5 Pro, Sennheiser Momentum 1.0, Sennheiser HD595). So if you like this kind of sound signature, the Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00 is a no-brainer at $400. The light weight, comfort with glasses and looks are added bonuses which make this deal even better.

My grail hunt has ended. These were the headphones I was looking for.

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #3,137 of 12,086

Definitely not at the level of the LCD4, of course.  The top and bottom is more extended on the 4 and the sound staging is narrower than the 4's..  However, the quantity of bass on the X00's....  wow!   Like actual subwoofers strapped to the ears! 
It's not a neutral sound, and it would not work well for some genres, but it's very pleasing for listening to EDM and dance!

i saw u have lots of high end headphones

now i listen to alot of synth and edm with my lcd2 rev2 pre-fazor, well its a nice headphone but not for my type of music

how do u compare the x00 to lcd2

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #3,138 of 12,086
i know that th900 does not stay fit on your head as it does have a light clamping force so i was wondering is there any fix for thx00 as i assume its the same loose clamping as th th900, as sometimes i also like to wear the headband pushed all the way to the back

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #3,139 of 12,086
It's great to see people's faces when they hear these.

+1 to this!

A friend of mine was in town this week. He had no headphones with him, so we did sort-of a baseline using HD650 and K7XX first. Then he got to hear the TH-X00, and what a grin 
biggrin.gif

A fun, fun headphone. And he said something regarding how dangerous I was to his wallet 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #3,140 of 12,086
  i saw u have lots of high end headphones

now i listen to alot of synth and edm with my lcd2 rev2 pre-fazor, well its a nice headphone but not for my type of music

how do u compare the x00 to lcd2

For EDM, I prefer the X00, the upper extension is superior and even the bass of the 2's is no match for the Fostex,  Plus the comfort,  the X00 is light as a feather.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #3,141 of 12,086
  i know that th900 does not stay fit on your head as it does have a light clamping force so i was wondering is there any fix for thx00 as i assume its the same loose clamping as th th900, as sometimes i also like to wear the headband pushed all the way to the back

it's the same exact head band, so yes.  

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #3,144 of 12,086
First and last impression: Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00 + Sony ZX2 = Perfect. Listened to 5 seconds of Ellie Goulding and Star Wars The Force Awakens OST and this combo is perfection for me. I prefer the Sony house sound and have headphones that are warm/slightly V shaped/wide soundstage (Sony ZX5, Sony XBA H3, Sony XBA 4, Philips A5 Pro, Sennheiser Momentum 1.0, Sennheiser HD595). So if you like this kind of sound signature, the Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00 is a no-brainer at $400. The light weight, comfort with glasses and looks are added bonuses which make this deal even better.

My grail hunt has ended. These were the headphones I was looking for.

I fully agree. I have the xba-zx5 and these are the perfect compliment.... Now I just need a dap or dac/amp for my iphone.

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #3,145 of 12,086
Those of you using hifiman pads on the thx00 and feel it improves sound while keeping the original sound profile the best, was it focus pads or focus a pads?

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #3,146 of 12,086
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-th-x00-massdrop-exclusive/reviews/14816
My review ^^. Probably will read it and edit here and there.

+1 on this being a non - shipment thread. Although the other thread does have quite a bit of info.

From the official thread, although this thread is pretty darn official itself. ^This thread is hopefully kept sans tracking/shipping talk.

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #3,147 of 12,086

Imaging accuracy gets better when you swap out the stock pads for angled Alpha pads. Just sayin'
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't want to create a new hype train but with the Alpha pads these are MUCH better headphones. Before they lacked soundstage depth cause my ears were pressed close to the drivers. Now there is ample space for my ears to be encapsulated by the music. The stock pads can go burn
wink.gif

Alpha pads-- Are these from Mr. Speakers?  It looks like they're the wrong shape.  

General note (not singling anyone out) if you can insert a link when you talk about something you like, it's helpful for those of us who like to play along!

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #3,148 of 12,086

Alpha pads-- Are these from Mr. Speakers?  It looks like they're the wrong shape.  

General note (not singling anyone out) if you can insert a link when you talk about something you like, it's helpful for those of us who like to play along!

Yes these are from Mr Speakers. No, they're not the wrong shape, they actually fit if you stretch the earpads around the plastic mounting ring. I will post more pictures but I am about to leave right now.

Top photo is me wearing them from the front, they don't look as big because they are angled from the back. The bass with the Alpha pads is a clear improvement over the stock pads. I was listening to E-40, Young Thug "Barter 6", 2Pac, Young Jeezy and I can confirm these are less muddy than the stock pads bass with better decay. I listen to rap and hip-hop with some really heavy bass and these are like subwoofers for your head. The stock pads sounded too bright for my ears with the highs, the bass was a bit muddy, and there wasn't nearly as much room for my ears. I also didn't think I needed to specify that the Alpha pads are from MrSpeakers cause most people on Head-fi know that already

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #3,149 of 12,086

From the official thread, although this thread is pretty darn official itself. ^This thread is hopefully kept sans tracking/shipping talk.

I think the OP is doing a good job updating the first post with reviews and what not. I agree, there is some very good info in this thread... but much garbage, as well. Either way, I'm subbed to both until things smooth over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back