Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 10, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #2,326 of 12,086
Wow. I have finally seen the golden nut!

The nut needs to be in the first page.

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #2,327 of 12,086
So I've tried a couple pads with the TH-X00.  I find the stock pads fit fine but the frequency response is tilted too far down for me.  I tried Alpha Pads, Hifiman Velour, and Hifiman Pleather.  The Pleather pads worked the best with two pieces of felt cut out to emulate the restricted sound hole of the stock pads.  I'm going to buy some stiffened foam of similar material to do it right soon.  Very balanced now with the fun sub bass that I was looking for.  

FYI Focus pads A and focus pads have the mount glued to the pads.  I didn't want to screw with them to make them fit.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #2,328 of 12,086
I can't help but think this sale has increased if not interest in the TH-900 model of headphones, then just Fostex headphones in general. It's looking like a fantastic move by Fostex. 

I saw so many posts here, where people said something along the lines of "I've always wanted to purchase the TH-600/TH-900, but I never got around to it", and the TH-X00 gave them that chance. And now they understand what Fostex headphones are about. I just love the philosophy and sound behind their headphones. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #2,329 of 12,086
  I can't help but think this sale has increased if not interest in the TH-900 model of headphones, then just Fostex headphones in general. It's looking like a fantastic move by Fostex. 

Very true. Fostex has carved out quite a name even for a majority-IEM collector like me. The TH900 and T50rp (which if I'm not mistaken gave MrSpeakers a career) stand out in particular and you see them get mentioned in headfi on the regular. Endgame bass, etc. So I've always wanted a taste of that Fostex sound. When the THX00 came out you can bet I was lining up for it, especially with a set of glowing reviews.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #2,330 of 12,086
When I was asking for a mobile dac/amp to run these someone suggested the Sony PHA-3 but is it possible to upgrade the cable and make these balanced output?

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #2,331 of 12,086
Also, while we are talking about dac/amps do you think the Oppo ha-2 will be a good solution?

Also ising with a Sony XBA-Z5

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #2,333 of 12,086
Mine arrived today. Since there was some discussion several pages ago on the color variance between the photos that everyone is posting, I took some extra care to process this photo (taken with a Nikon D7000 DSLR & bounce flash for even lighting) for true-to-life color accuracy using the Adobe RGB color space in Adobe Lightroom. I processed this on my desktop PC though, which has a non-IPS LCD monitor, so it may look a bit different on IPS/e-IPS displays....

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #2,334 of 12,086
Mine arrived today. Since there was some discussion several pages ago on the color variance between the photos that everyone is posting, I took some extra care to process this photo (taken with a Nikon D7000 DSLR & bounce flash for even lighting) for true-to-life color accuracy using the Adobe RGB color space in Adobe Lightroom. I processed this on my desktop PC though, which has a non-IPS LCD monitor, so it may look a bit different on IPS/e-IPS displays....

Nice shot I like the depth of field but the rest of us are (most likely) using sRGB colorspace so AdobeRGB may not look accurate on our screens. I find sRGB works better for the masses

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #2,335 of 12,086
 So after around 15 hours of use now the bass is already starting to shape up. I pretty much let them run all day even when they weren't on my head. It's without question becoming tighter and more textured, and I know it's not my imagination...out of the box these things were much more boomy and loose in the low end. The burn-in is definitely real with these. This is also causing the soundstage to open up a little more, and it's really sounding pretty great now.

I'm finally starting to understand why the early reviewers were raving about them.

I can agree that out the box the bass out of the box can be boomy. Strong bass, but with some bloat. I'm really glad to hear that it should tighten up!

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #2,337 of 12,086
Another brief impression and some pictures from the meet: http://www.head-fi.org/t/790296/12-04-15-seattle-meet-impressions/0_30#post_12149847

Interestingly Miceblue and I both disliked the TH900 but found the THX00 favorable. I don't know what about the th900 Miceblue doesn't like but to me I thought the price it commanded never reflected on its performance. The THX00 on the other hand with its tuning seem to be the exact opposite.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #2,338 of 12,086
overnight burn in session on the Nine Inch Nails catalog has the bass on these shedding its wool coat.  Bass is tightening up, gaining more layering and resolution.  Imaging is improving.  soundstage is a bit better.  I honestly generally think burn in is 99% mental.  The HE400i it barely made a difference.  Grados had little impact.  But the biodyna drivers do actually seem to need it.  Can say this is probably thebiggest overnight improvement I've heard in a headphone from non-on-the-head-burn-in

Also, these play pretty freaking fantastic out of a macbook pro's headphone jack.  

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #2,340 of 12,086
Apologies for cross-posting (note sure meet folks are following this thread?)

Thanks for sharing your experiences of the meet :blush:

I have a Burson Conductor and perhaps a TH-X00 on its way. So curious if anyone heard that pairing - and how it stacked up to the competition?

I appreciate getting all the pad tips - as I would need to replace them with a good vegan set. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back