Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 9, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #2,146 of 12,086
3 months from now a bunch of poor people are going to look for impressions and reviews of this headphone when massdrop drops them again. Unfortunately, they will have to wade through hundreds of posts updating about or complaining about their tracking information. Seriously people!

I am really, really enjoying the first impressions and the discussion on pad rolling and amp pairing. But the constant, and frankly ridiculous, posts where people feel they need to share all their tracking information is ruining this thread. I cannot be the only one here that feels this way.

If you folks really feel the need to check in with each others tracking info please make thread in general discussions or something to do so and stop unnecessarily lengthening this thread with trivial information that will be completely unhelpful 1 week from now.

It´s good they then realise they are hearing very very first impressions and can easier take them all with a big pinch of salt :)

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #2,149 of 12,086
I swapped the pads w/ my TH600s and it's as I thought, the sound wasn't drastically different but there were some interesting points:

The THX00s are still a couple dB less intense in the highs, which means there's something else causing that.
The bass did bloat a little with the TH600 pads, but the THX00 pads on the TH600s reigned in their bass (interesting).
Clarity remained the same.
The THX00 pads tightened up the bass with my TH900s as well, which really changes their sound balance, bringing the mids in closer.

Summary: I need a couple more sets of THX00 pads.
biggrin.gif

Massdrop, put the pads for these up for sale, please.

I think you can use TH500RP pads.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #2,150 of 12,086
Hmm, do you guys think the Audeze earpads will fit / produce better sound quality compared to the stock earpads / alpha pads?

Saw a post on reddit of a Denon Dx line headphone and thought it looked gorgeous.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2si2dg/pro_tip_audeze_pads_fit_on_the_denon_dx000_line/

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #2,152 of 12,086
Short and sweet : Unboxed them, and plugged them right into Geekout 1000>Macbook pro w/Amarra in order to listen to some ripped ALAC files, and some Tidal tunes on Amarra for Tidal, and boy do these babies rock, and reach deep on the bass?  They're easily the most "basshead" set of phones in my stable, even though I have other cans that do great bass without being "basshead."  Be that as it may, these also do great in the mids and highs. and it really scares me to think how even nicer they might sound after 150 hours or more of burn-in...  At any rate, these are just quick first impressions, after less than 30 minutes of listening.   Talking about 150 hours of burn-in, I'm really in no hurry to cross that bridge yet since they seem to sound  great already as they are;  I'm just going to chill with these cans, and just enjoy the journey...  and did I mention how great they look, with the mahogany on them and all?

This sounds to me like one hell of a "home run" for MD/Fostex, and I would like to present them with this special badge of honor:

PS... Oh, I have to say I have had no issues at all with the earpads, although I know it would be different for others.  For me, it has been "wear 'em and forget 'em" all the way...  the pads fit me fine, and I do not feel my ears getting "hot" or sweaty or whatever...  they just work.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #2,153 of 12,086
I've got about 30 hours on mine now and they've tightened up considerably creating better detail and separation. I love 'em. I also have the X2's and the he400s. I really like those cans as well but the th-xoo has taken over 1st place.

For those that don't care for them at 1st listen, give them 30+ hours at least before you decide to sell.

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #2,154 of 12,086
  I've got about 30 hours on mine now and they've tightened up considerably creating better detail and separation. I love 'em. I also have the X2's and the he400s. I really like those cans as well but the th-xoo has taken over 1st place.

For those that don't care for them at 1st listen, give them 30+ hours at least before you decide to sell.

That's good to hear. I tried them on the Sonett 2 last night in low impedance mode and it was eye opening. They came alive big time, but man the bass was so boomy it was frankly too much. I ordered a Fiio E11K since it's mainly going to be for work, hopefully it will be a good pairing since the TH-X00 is pretty efficient and don't need gobs of power. Plus the hardware bass boost if I feel like getting nutty.

Also, after ~1 hour the pads are getting hot as hell now. I may try the Alpha Pad route myself. If anyone has an extra used pair PM me, I'll buy them.

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #2,155 of 12,086
Also, is anyone else finding that these sound really good at a lower volume? Reminds me of the LCD 2 in that respect, able to maintain a full body sound with nice detail at low levels. I listened to the TH-X00 in bed last night straight out of my iPhone 6 at a reasonably low volume and my wife said that it didn't bother her at all.

My wife also loves the wood.

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2,156 of 12,086
Got the notice from ups that they're available for pickup. Got to the center at 8. "Well it's not actually available until 9:30, it's at the warehouse like 500 feet away. Just gonna have breakfast at the waffle house and tell work I'm going to be late. These headphones are going to get me fired, lol.

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #2,158 of 12,086
  Also, is anyone else finding that these sound really good at a lower volume? Reminds me of the LCD 2 in that respect, able to maintain a full body sound with nice detail at low levels. I listened to the TH-X00 in bed last night straight out of my iPhone 6 at a reasonably low volume and my wife said that it didn't bother her at all.

Yes, I agree re: lower volume. That said, they also sound really good at a higher volume, too. 
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #2,159 of 12,086
Yes, I agree re: lower volume. That said, they also sound really good at a higher volume, too. :evil:

Yeah, U-shaped FR curves stand up well at low volumes because our ears can hear midrange at a wider range of volumes and the boosted treble and bass is more audible with a U shape at low volumes.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #2,160 of 12,086

No opposite for me. I felt like I needed to turn them up for the Mids to open up. But the bass is nice at low volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back