Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 8, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #2,116 of 12,086

Me too ^^

+2

I love how they looked, but they increased the bass on my D2000.   I didn't like the result...so I traded them to some dude who gave me his D5000 wood cups in exchange.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #2,117 of 12,086
Just received mine. This will be my first true pair of hifi headphones, with CHC Silverados being the only thing I've really heard before this. And while they may not crush vocal driven songs like those did...the bass. Oh baby the bass. Everything sounds so much more open and clear too. There is actual depth to the music now! I haven't even gotten a dac and amp for these yet, but it's hard to imagine how much better it can get! I think this might be the start of a very painful hobby for my wallet...

Speaking of which, can anyone confirm that the O2 is superior to the Vali on these headphones from first hand use? Want to be sure before potentiality turning down a offer I got for a cheap Vali.

Also, got 1100 for the serial number, which is cool since 11 is my birthday month. :D

I can tomorrow.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #2,118 of 12,086

+2

I love how they looked, but they increased the bass on my D2000.   I didn't like the result...so I traded them to some dude who gave me his D5000 wood cups in exchange.

Yea, I found them to give me a nice increase in sub bass, an over all speed an texture of the bass. But they are very DARK pads, while I feel the improve bass speed, they do bring that bass a little more forward an pull out some mids

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #2,119 of 12,086
Just received mine. This will be my first true pair of hifi headphones, with CHC Silverados being the only thing I've really heard before this. And while they may not crush vocal driven songs like those did...the bass. Oh baby the bass. Everything sounds so much more open and clear too. There is actual depth to the music now! I haven't even gotten a dac and amp for these yet, but it's hard to imagine how much better it can get! I think this might be the start of a very painful hobby for my wallet...

Speaking of which, can anyone confirm that the O2 is superior to the Vali on these headphones from first hand use? Want to be sure before potentiality turning down a offer I got for a cheap Vali.

Also, got 1100 for the serial number, which is cool since 11 is my birthday month. :D

Trust me, switching to a dedicated amp/DAC setup will really help. I had the same situation going when I first got my Q701's, and just when I was getting bored/used to the sound I got a modi2/magni2 stack, and had the cliche "all your music is new" moment all over again.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #2,120 of 12,086
I have a set of angled Hifiman pleather pads on their way in case the stock pads of the TH-X00 aren't comfortable. If those don't work, I'll get a set of Alpha pads from Mr. Speakers. I am fairly confident the stock pads will be fine, though. We'll see on Thursday...

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #2,121 of 12,086
  I have a set of angled Hifiman pleather pads on their way in case the stock pads of the TH-X00 aren't comfortable. If those don't work, I'll get a set of Alpha pads from Mr. Speakers. I am fairly confident the stock pads will be fine, though. We'll see on Thursday...

ugh I recommend you try something else, I understand that the "stock pads" are improved from the Orignal pair that shipped with the TH #00 headphones, but I still feel that like the old Denon Pads, they are the first bottle neck of this unit

While the alpha pads do boost sub bass, an remove a little bit of the decay in the mids, I find they really boost soundstage an instrument seperation, partially because of some what dark, but drier sound 

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #2,122 of 12,086
So, the Alpha pads are the recommended choice as replacement pads? I imagine the angled Hifiman pads are not approved, eh? *sigh*
Thanks for the advice, by the way. Much appreciated!

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #2,123 of 12,086
  So, the Alpha pads are recommended as replacement pads? I imagine the angled Hifiman pads are not approved, eh? *sigh*
Thanks for the advice, by the way. Much appreciated!

No I'm not saying your options are limited to Alphas, but I've used both Lawton Angled an Alpha Pads with my LA D5k an LA D2k headphones, both use Fostex OEM drivers an I've found the best results with those two pads in particullar. Definatly try the Hifiman pads that you have :D, I'm just saying the stock Pads have always been terrible with this series of headphones 

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #2,126 of 12,086
Who will be using these out in public like cafes and transportation? I'm asking because I'm thinking these may be too over the top and way too irresistible to the opposite s e x.

hehe this is true, my girlfriend... she really does love wood. I'd imagine other women an men may also find these irresistible too ;3

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2,127 of 12,086
Meanwhile, back in bitter-pill-land, my UPS tracking shows my package left Edison, NJ on Saturday, Dec 5th @ 2am...  Final destination, Tucson, AZ.

Delivery started out being Thursday, Dec 10th.
Changed the next morning to Friday, Dec 11th.
Changed on Monday to "Not Available at this time".

Meanwhile, there's been no location update since they left Edison, NJ.  Basically 4 days with no tracking update and "unknown status".  

But am I worried? ..........  You're damn right I am!  I can just see some idiot at UPS trying to decide if he should deliver a mutilated box of wood and metal bits or just pretend it got lost in transit.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #2,128 of 12,086
-.- that sounds gnarly, I'd be at my Local UPS Hub location I think they identify them with SLIC codes, anyways I'd be there trying to figure out where the heck my headphones are :/ 

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #2,129 of 12,086
  Meanwhile, back in bitter-pill-land, my UPS tracking shows my package left Edison, NJ on Saturday, Dec 5th @ 2am...  Final destination, Tucson, AZ.

Meanwhile, there's been no location update since they left Edison, NJ.  Basically 4 days with no tracking update and "unknown status".  

But am I worried? ..........  You're damn right I am!  I can just see some idiot at UPS trying to decide if he should deliver a mutilated box of wood and metal bits or just pretend it got lost in transit.

I haven't had an update either since Friday. I hope it's just on a long-distance truck headed for the west coast. It's supposed to be here Friday.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #2,130 of 12,086

It took DHL 4 days to get package from EDISON, NJ to Secaucus, NJ. this is roughly 30 miles.  With this speed of movement my package will arrive at the destination in 1370 days or roughly 3.7 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back