Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 8, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #1,951 of 12,086
I have been listening to these for hours now. (Mac min, Burson soloist SL, wyred 4 sound DAC2)

#1 this is a bass head headphone, bass is very stong on through the mid bass. These have a lot of mid bass but tight mid bass. Those looking for a reference headphone should move along.

#2 For me they are better than the TH900 I had. I did not like the Th900 as the Mids were way too receced.

They sound 98% of the Th900 with more Mids. Mids and treble are shelved down from the bass on these too but on the th900 the Mids dipped.

#3 I feel like they need to be played out to come alive.

All in all if you want to try the Fostex sound but have been turned off by the price get these and forget about the th900. If you think the th900 have too much bass you will not like these either.

If you want a bass head headphone but don't want to give up other qualities... These could be your holy grail.

I have a small head and these fit better than the th900 as they are a little tighter clamping. They hug my head and not my Lower jaw like the th900. My ears do not touch the back of the pads

This is all great news! Thanks for the input!

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #1,952 of 12,086
Obviously, you are younger than me because I played SF when I was already in college. :grinning:

I have a feeling I will like this headphone. I have Mojo Jojo, Theorem 720 and Ragnarok to pair this with. Hope it will also play balls with my PIBE.

So you were in college in 1987? That is when the first Street Fighter was available for the arcade (you did say "SF"). :normal_smile :

Hopefully you'll enjoy the headphone!

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #1,953 of 12,086
  What is he doing to you? whetting your appetite? That ain't such a bad thing?
smily_headphones1.gif

i had to change diapers.

twice.

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #1,954 of 12,086
So you were in college in 1987? That is when the first Street Fighter was available for the arcade (you did say "SF"). :normal_smile :

Hopefully you'll enjoy the headphone!

Couple of years after that but don't tell anybody. :grinning:

Which amp is your favourite pairing with TH-X00? Apologies if I have missed it.

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,955 of 12,086
Obviously, you are younger than me because I played SF when I was already in college. :grinning:

I have a feeling I will like this headphone. I have Mojo Jojo, Theorem 720 and Ragnarok to pair this with. Hope it will also play balls with my PIBE.

Theorem do.quite well with lower impedance headphones, but it might be 2 warm for thx00.

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #1,956 of 12,086
Right. I presume the Mojo Jojo will be warmer. Hmmm...

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,958 of 12,086
Couple of years after that but don't tell anybody. :grinning:

Which amp is your favourite pairing with TH-X00? Apologies if I have missed it.

I have not listened to a plethora of DAC/amps to formulate a more definitive favorite pairing with the TH-X00, but will make sure to listen to as many as I can at upcoming Head-Fi/audio enthusiast meets in the near future. It's much easier to arrive at a favorite DAP, though. The QP1R with TH-X00 is a blissful, organic and liquid-textured sounding pairing that eeks out extra bass and treble compared to the lovely more neutral and natural sounding m9XX and TH-X00 pairing.

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #1,960 of 12,086
Dec 8, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #1,962 of 12,086
Any head to head comparisons with the th600?

Yep, been listening to them, back to back, and they're very similar; ~2-3dB less sparkly at the top and a little less boomy at the bottom. Maybe it's the earpads that contribute to this as well, but they're also a slightly more detailed overall than the TH600s. I dig these a lot, they punch well above their weight.

(Edit: This is directly from my Antelope Zodiac Platinum.)

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #1,963 of 12,086
Yep, been listening to them, back to back, and they're very similar; ~2-3dB less sparkly at the top and a little less boomy at the bottom. Maybe it's the earpads that contribute to this as well, but they're also a little more detailed overall than the TH600s. I dig these a lot, they punch well above their weight.

(Edit: This is directly from my Antelope Zodiac Platinum.)

Can you switch the earpads and post your thoughts on them? I would do it but my pair doesn't get here until next Monday =)

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #1,964 of 12,086
Depends the game, I think the last one I used it didn't have b a. Was it Mortal Kombat 1 or 2? I forget.

Contra was the directional sequence b a select start. This was 2 players

MK 1 and 2 (and other versions) codes depended on the console being played. One of my favorite codes for MK 1 was playing as Goro. On arcade version of UMKIII I loved playing as Human Smoke and performing his 10 hit combos. More fun times.

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #1,965 of 12,086

Users who are viewing this thread

Back