Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 7, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,805 of 12,086
Still says"En route to DHL eCommerce Distribution Center" for the last 3 days

Same message on my side....I really hate DHL.  
mad.gif

En route to DHL eCommerce Distribution Center
Fri, December 4, 2015 at 23:54 
UNITED STATES

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,806 of 12,086
I also hope that the mids are not too recessed...

The midrange of the TH-X00 is not recessed in my opinion, at least when paired with the sources I listen to most of the time.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,810 of 12,086
http://www.head-fi.org/t/790296/12-04-15-seattle-meet-impressions/0_30#post_12141866

Here's a quick impression from yesterday's meet on the THX00, for those wondering my rig is:
Foobar on laptop > Gustard U12 > Schiit Bifrost Multibit > Schiit Sys preamp > Project Horizon 3 with Russian Gold Grid tube > A) THX00 or B) Denon D5000

There should be more impressions soon and even pics from Miceblue. Sometimes he does a meet tour in video with binaural sound, not sure if that holds true for this one.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #1,811 of 12,086
http://www.head-fi.org/t/790296/12-04-15-seattle-meet-impressions/0_30#post_12141866

Here's a quick impression from yesterday's meet on the THX00, for those wondering my rig is:
Foobar on laptop > Gustard U12 > Schiit Bifrost Multibit > Schiit Sys preamp > Project Horizon 3 with Russian Gold Grid tube > A) THX00 or B) Denon D5000

There should be more impressions soon and even pics from Miceblue. Sometimes he does a meet tour in video with binaural sound, not sure if that holds true for this one.

beerchug.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,814 of 12,086

If they had not changed anything then they would have released the TH600 with wooden cups...or the affordable version of the TH900 (which would have been suicide for Fostex).   

Massdrop released a different flavor without asking people...and if people don't like then they can still purchase TH600 and/or the TX900.  I don't like excessive bass, so I can't wait to hear how they tuned the THX00. 

Glad you're excited to hear the TH-X00! Based on what you've said, the tuning should be right up your alley. 

That said, your posts exhibits a misconception I'd like to address. 

"Massdrop released a different flavor without asking people"

The "without asking people" part is incorrect. The TH-X00's tuning was almost exclusively decided by Audiophile community members. Did we do a public Q/A session? Was there a thread where we took suggestions from the community at-large? Nope, we decided on a different strategy for involving the community. 

We approached a select few members of the Audiophile community and worked with them, discussing the project and what we might be able to achieve in collaboration with Fostex. Once prototypes arrived, all of these community members had a chance to hear the product and give feedback that could be incorporated into the final tuning. 

Why go this approach? Because each of the community members we approached was willing to dedicate considerable time and thought to their feedback. Works better than having a "suggestions" thread with drive-by suggestions from uninvested enthusiasts. 

Only downside to this process is it's not as public, and we end up in situations like this where people don't understand how the community was involved. We're working on some tools to make this more obvious, but in the meantime, figured it was worth responding with a quick explanation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back