Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 7, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #1,741 of 12,086
  man, this thread is so crazy. 99% of the commenters have never even heard the finalized production model, and we're getting catfights, people enraged it doesn't beat out a $1200 flagship clearly in every way, etc.  This is probably the most head-fi thread on head-fi.Just need to resurrect a good old DBT flame war and it will have everything, all before almost anybody has even heard the thing.

Im positive it cant beat the TH-900, i was just wondering if someone has compared both. Jude's video stated the TH-X00 to have a more flat sound signature, while i found the TH-900 to have a pretty distinct U-curved signature which is very fun.

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #1,742 of 12,086
The 'most head-fi thread on head-fi' - I like it! This should be  the quote of the day (or month!) 
beerchug.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #1,743 of 12,086
  Im positive it cant beat the TH-900, i was just wondering if someone has compared both. Jude's video stated the TH-X00 to have a more flat sound signature, while i found the TH-900 to have a pretty distinct U-curved signature which is very fun.

And what if beating or not beating the TH-900 lies "in the eyes of the beholder" (or in this case, "in ears of the listener"), i.e. a matter of purely personal opinion, which cannot be resolved by any consensus or by any kind of "objective" technical measurements?  I'm obviously referring to SQ assessment here, rather than purely technical properties, which are, in my view, much less important than SQ...

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #1,745 of 12,086
  And what if beating or not beating the TH-900 lies "in the eyes of the beholder" (or in this case, "in ears of the listener"), i.e. a matter of purely personal opinion, which cannot be resolved by any consensus or by any kind of "objective" technical measurements?  I'm obviously referring to SQ assessment here, rather than purely technical properties, which are, in my view, much less important than SQ...

If you talk about your subjective preference of one headphone over another, then you probably shouldn't be using the word "beat". More like, "I like x more than y" or "I prefer x over y" would be more appropriate. "Beating" something carries a very specific connotation, that involves objective numbers and technical qualifications. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #1,746 of 12,086
If you talk about your subjective preference of one headphone over another, then you probably shouldn't be using the word "beat". More like, "I like x more than y" or "I prefer x over y" would be more appropriate. "Beating" something carries a very specific connotation, that involves objective numbers and technical qualifications. 

Woaaa....mind blown, and well said :D

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #1,748 of 12,086

Fair enough! But I meant to suggest that I do not consider such "objective numbers" and "technical qualifications" to be all that interesting when/if taken independently, i.e assessed exclusively on the basis of their technical properties without taking into account how they enhance or detract from sound quality.  We all know that superior "objective numbers" and "technical properties" do not necessarily translate into "great sound," and that too can be proven "objectively."

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #1,751 of 12,086
  Fair enough! But I meant to suggest that I do not consider such "objective numbers" and "technical qualifications" to be all that interesting when/if taken independently, i.e assessed exclusively on the basis of their technical properties without taking into account how they enhance or detract from sound quality.  We all know that superior "objective numbers" and "technical properties" do not necessarily translate into "great sound," and that too can be proven "objectively."

True. I agree with that. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,753 of 12,086

I'm there with you! I'll add that I'm hoping for a bit more soundstage and bass, while less prominent throughout the signature, has more sub bass and responds well to eq'ing. 

Do you plan on keeping both?

I always "plan" to keep my headphones (lol!). But I know I will probably sell a couple. I always do. In fact, at the moment I think I have TOO MANY!!!! :)

My votes for closed under a grand:

If you can stand the look - Alpha Prime (~$500 - $600 used), Alpha Dog ($300- $400 used) or Mad Dogs ($??? used - maybe $200?)  All have great sound for the price, and are now I think discontinued, but still available.  They isolate really well.  I've owned them all.

If you want to look good - PM-3's.  Sound great, you don't look like a WW-II Bombardier, and they isolate quite well.  Also comfy and sound great from an iPhone.  I've owned these, and will buy them again once my rig shuffling settles down again.

The Fostex TH900, 600 are neat, look nice and leak sound both directions like a chicken wire fence.  They sound good though, if you like the quantity of bass they provide (lots).  Note that I only have meet impressions of these, so the usual grain of salt is recommended.

I've had the Beyer DT 1350 and liked it, and the Senn HD-25-II, and found it too V shaped.  Both of these are on ear, which I finally determined I don't tolerate well.

Nice list.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #1,754 of 12,086
Looking like a not so great start for these headphones. A few that received them early are already trying to sell them. I haven't seen any "user" review that mentioned they agree with the expert review pre-drop.

Glad I'm the only one that bought it, I was recommending these to my brother and friend, both decided to go for the pm3 instead.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #1,755 of 12,086
Looking like a not so great start for these headphones. A few that received them early are already trying to sell them. I haven't seen any "user" review that mentioned they agree with the expert review pre-drop.

Glad I'm the only one that bought it, I was recommending these to my brother and friend, both decided to go for the pm3 instead.

While not completely agreeing, onefatsurfer had a sparkling review of them, and I'm more inclined to go with that as its unlikely that the pre-release reviews were purely to drum up sales.

On a side note, I finally got my shipping email. Really psyched since it's only my second quality pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back