1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 24, 2015.
First

Back
740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749
751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760
Next

Last
  1. DavidA
    What you have found is the Cayin and Mahogany have good synergy between them and to me its more important that "power"

2. lengyeljani
    Yeah could be true.
    Btw, my Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads arrived and I had a brief comparison with the original pads. Mind you I'm far from an experienced reviewer, so take these words with caution :p but nevertheless I share my thoughts. Plus it's not that easy to ABX when you need to swap pads :frowning2:
    Bass slam seems to increased a tiny bit, but so did the decay too which makes the bass more prominent but more bloated. It's kind of a win-loose situation (at least for me), but sound wise I like both pad's presentation. I didn't found any difference in vocals, overall detail and transparency. I'll keep and using the hybrid pads because they are comfy as hell (I'm considering stopping here with pad swapping for the sake of my wallet). In contrast the original pleather pads seem like one's of a cheepo headphones.

3. Zbell
    I would say the driver dampening part of the Lawton Level 1 mod does not tone down the treble. I found it improved clarity a bit and helped with imaging. However you also get some foam and other material that can be installed inside the cup. The foam will absolutely tone down the treble (probably too much? But you can play around with it). The other material gets put with an adhesive onto the inside of the cup (i don't think it's easily removable once you apply the adhesive) and I believe it's meant to help with listening fatigue by eliminating reflections and resonance (and could possibly affect soundstage). You can always go uber DIY and put some cotton/other material in the cups until you get the desired amount of treble reduction. Hope this helps.

NoisyNeighbour likes this.
  4. lengyeljani
    Ok, so listening to more and more tracks I found some where the bloated bass got annoying. Removing the Dekoni attenuator rings helped a lot getting rid of the bloated bass, but that reduced some sub bass and sub bass controll. Still I enjoy the sound, so the elite hybrid without the rings may win over the stock pads cause it's comfort. Oh damn, why are the stock pads so cheeeeeeeap??

5. koover
    Get the Zmf Ori pads and be done with it.

interweb-tech likes this.
  6. Zbell
    I have the fenestrated pads for my Purpleheart with attenuator ring from Dekoni and I LOVE them. So comfortable and personally I still think it has great bass. Clearly less bass than stock, but it's well defined and gives the cans a much more linear frequency response. They're a great compliment to stock too. Can switch easily to stock if I need that crazy bass in my life, but can pop them out for the Dekoni for more balance and a much more expansive soundstage. Would recommend 10/10. Also much easier to swap out pads if you buy an extra set of attachment ring things (what the hell are they called?). You can get them on FullCompass for fairly cheap.

7. theangelboy
    I think it was @VRacer-111 that has shown how to make a custom attenuator ring out of card stock paper that only goes under half the pad. That might solve your problem and give you the best of both worlds. It's worth a try since it's free. Here is the image of the one he made.

i-2nnmrQf-XL.jpg

lengyeljani likes this.
  8. VRacer-111
    Dekoni Elite Hybrids aren't the best match for a TH-X00, but if you want to increase their bass without bloating it like adding the Dekoni ring attenuators does, then make your own attenuators that slip inside the ear pads. You basically make a C/crescent moon shape that will slip into the rear half of the inside of the pad, behind your ear. Can use any thin, stiff material...my preference is manila/file folders. Here's one I made for my ZMF Ori Suede pads I use on my custom TH-X00'PS':

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Slip the attenuators inside the back area of the pads in seconds with the pads mounted, no need to remove the pads. Works best with Lawton dampening...either one alone is only a 'half' improvement - dampening + pads/attenuator is a 'full' improvement.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    lengyeljani likes this.
  9. HungryPanda
    I'm sad people took off my headphones went bud crazy. Have neglected the purple. Yet not missing after having fixing them. Willsound MK2 does the same job

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  10. NoisyNeighbour
    Appreciate the detailed reply! I'll have to play with the materials... I already modded my x00s with removable cable, so it's not an issue if some pieces have to be glued, may not use those pieces anyway if it affects soundstage.
    Thanks again!

Zbell likes this.
  11. jsmiller58
    I just saw this mention of ordering extra attachment rings to make earpad swapping easier - I had the same idea a couple of days ago :). I didn’t know they could be ordered from fullcompass.com. However I also found that you can order them printed from thingiverse, a set of 4 coming in at half the price of fullcompass. I ordered some and will report back if these are any good compared to stock rings. I can only say that moving these rings between pads are a PITA, and easily turned me off of experimenting with the fenestrated and the elite hybrid Dekoni pads I got vs the stock pads on my TX-h00 Ebonies.

12. lengyeljani
    Appreciate all the input, will definitely try those custom crescent/half-moon attenuators. The thing is, after owning some Beyer and Hifiman headphones I have my ideal about comfort and that is velour touching my head.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  13. Richter Di
    82BC964C-3A52-4F26-AFC1-5274EAE6DC7E.jpeg
    What a pleasant surprise. The ebony arrived today!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    HungryPanda likes this.
  14. Hazi59
    Unfortunately, you are going to have a difficult time finding velour pads that sound good on the th-x00. The only non leather pads that don't turn the treble into Satan's kitchen appear to be the Audeze Vegan Pads. You may want to try the ZMF Suede Eikon pads. I had them on my M1060 and they were relatively similar to vegans . I know a few people tried hifiman focus pads and most couldn't tolerate the scorching treble.

15. lengyeljani
    Actually the treble with the elite hybrid isn't hot. I found a file folder @home, cut out and inserted an attenuator on the inner side of the pads. Maybe I'll experiment later with different materials, but for now I'm all set.

First

Back
740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749
751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760
Next

Last