1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 24, 2015.
First

Back
739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748
750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759
Next

Last
  1. Hyde00
    lol I think I was pretty careful when putting it on and I don't think it damaged the white paper or anything (I'm kind of OCD when it comes to think type of things).

But I'll double check later today to make sure everything lined up properly.

Thanks!

2. Richter Di
    It's on its way!
    My Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Ebony Headphones has shipped yesterday.
    Now the wait for the delivery to Germany has begun.

interweb-tech and HungryPanda like this.
  3. designbykai
    Hmm, anyone else have the Brainwavz HM5 Sheepskin Leather angled pads for their THX00s?
    They're amazingly comfy and I didn't think they affected sound too much. But I do notice when I push them closer on my head so that my ear is closer to the driver that the sub bass is more intense. Which suits my tastes. I wonder if there are any other pads as comfy that match or better the sub bass quantity of the stock pads or these? The flat HM5s or the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin? It seems the Dekon's are the most popular in this thread? (And the most expensive, and also only on Massdrop?). Interested if anyone else has done much testing/comparisons of these for sub bass in particular?

After a bit of reading and going by some posts on reddit I'm kinda thinking my best bet to stick with the HM5 pads but also get some attenuation rings like Dekoni ones (but I only see them for $75 on Amazon in Canada What), unless there're others? Or just the Lawton tune up?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  4. VRacer-111
    If you want nice subbass on a PH, the Jmoney V3 pads are the ticket... thing is you can't get those pads, they haven't been made in many years...

Someone really needs to make some new 'JMoney V3' pads for the PH's...

Sidenote: Jmoney V3 pads don't work as well on the Mahogany or Palo Santo versions... they are more suited to the PH or Ebony versions.

5. jmills8
    Then why mentioned sonething you have and noone can buy ?

6. Pahani
    Oh, because he's about to go completely bonkers when he receives his new Stax and give me his Jmoney pads :D

P.S. He forgot to mention that the SECOND choice for pads is likely ZMF lambskin pads.I added the ZMF Pilot Pad to my PH's as well.

And the Lawton Tune-Up is absolutely worth the money! Do the driver mods only, don't install the cup damping.

jmills8 likes this.
  7. Hazi59
    Besides the dekoni sheepskin, ZMF Eikon or ZMF Ori pads sound best. The Lawton driver side mod is a must as well.

8. koover
    Dem be fightin words brother!

9. koover
    Yeah, I tried that already. Fail! :angry:

10. VRacer-111
    Because sometimes (extremely rarely, I've seen 1 maybe 2 ever...) people do sell Denons of Fostexes with the Jmoney V3 pads, and if you happen upon such a listing (and can confirm it's a V3 and not V2 or V1 pad) I would absolutely recommend jumping on it for use with a TH-X00PH... the pads are absolutey worth more than the headphones they come with when it comes to their sound on a PH (with attenuator).

If you don't know about something you won't be able to act on it if an opportunity arises. The Jmoney V3 is a pad that needs to be reborn for the TH-X00PH... if you like nice clean yet impactful bass/subbass there is none better for it. It's also great for the mids and highs as well. Less detailed than ZMF Ori, but with much more character and richness in the mids and highs...IMO its the optimal pad for a Lawton dampened TH-X00PH. The ZMF Ori is the next best alternative I've heard, but still not the same thing.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  11. NoisyNeighbour
    Can anyone using the Lawton level 1 mod on the Mahogany x00 let me know if the mod calms down the treble? Maybe I'm a bit sensitive but I find the x00s a bit harsh during SOME songs!
    If the Lawton mod helps with this, I would consider it a worthy investment even without any other potential improvement/refinement.
    Thanks in advance!

jmills8 likes this.
  12. jmills8
    What amp and dac you using ?

13. NoisyNeighbour
    Micca Origen G2 atm and SMSL 793II previously. No discernible difference perceived between the two.

14. Billheiser
    The TH-X00 is not difficult to drive. Like other good headphones, they sound better with better amps, but they do great with modest power. Their sensitivity is 94 dB/mW. As a matter of fact, their MAXIMUM specified input power is 1.8W, so your suggestion of a headphone amp of 'no less than 3W' is overkill (and could actually kill the headphones with a careless twist of the knob).

Class A operation, in itself, has virtually nothing to do with sibilance. You are correct that a good amp for these should have low output impedance (lower than 2 ohms).

DavidA likes this.
  15. lengyeljani
    To my ears my Cayin N5ii DAP in balanced mode drives the Mahogany with more authority than my previous portable and desktop amps with double the power.

First

Back
739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748
750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759
Next

Last