Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 24, 2015.
First

Back
727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736
738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747
Next

Last
  1. RojasTKD
    I wouldn't know. I recently ordered the Dekoni TH-X00 sheepskin pads from Massdrop and was sent the TH-900 pads instead. Massdrop support said it was shipped directly from the supplier so they have no replacements. My only recourse to return for a full refund or keep them and get a $15 refund plus a $5 Massdrop credit. You'd think they could get the supplier to fix THEIR error!

So I'm sending them back and sticking with the stock pads for now.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. moedawg140 Contributor
    Blessed to be alive and thriving, in my opinion - thanks for the message!

The Dekoni to my ears keeps much of the house Ebony sound, but adds a bit more midbass and upper subbass.

The overall signature of the Ebony is similar to the jingle from Mc Donald’s:

Bah dah bah bah bah, I’m lovin’ it!

C72BDA70-23E2-4FA0-8FCA-8A8D5BABB62B.gif

HungryPanda, Mark Up and cskippy like this.
  3. Mark Up
    Glad you're doing well. After I donated I'd occasionally check the Go Fund Me for updates but hadn't seen one in a while. I tried your Ebony TH-XXX at CanJam NY 2017 (you may recall I talked shop on sub bass, and you played Beyoncé's "Yonce" on them to test it). I tried the Teaks later after I heard Tyll's review of them and I ended up with the Teaks. A bit less subs, still plenty, similar less recessed mids, and decent highs (both a touch north of what I prefer, but bearable). I found the main difference a bit of extra sub extension on Ebonies and the brighter area of its highs is the 7-9 kHz region (I think) and Teaks are more 9-11 kHz. It is really close, so the tie breaker was that the Teaks show less fingerprints. They make a nice alternative to the more low mid to true mid area focused Sony MDR-Z7 (that still have almost as much subs, and less highs / warmer sound, but still surprisingly detailed) as my main non-portable cans.

However, Meze 99 Neo really threw a wrench into that. A touch less sub than the EMU / Sony, but enough. It has full mids than the Teak but cleaner and less resonant / ringy vs the Sony. The highs on them won it for me, the best highs I'd heard on headphones. Clear and detailed - but free of audible peaks, and easy on the ears. Smooth but you don't miss any details. The pair I heard on the tour was earlier production than the brand new pair I bought which right out of the box became my favorite sounding headphone. Maybe it is QC improvements on it. I'd tried other pads, and found the ATH-MSR7 pads an upgrade option on the tour, now I find they take a bit more low mid / high bass out than my bass-fanatic ears like so it's just stock pads now. What's amazing is going to the Teaks after, I miss the midrange fullness, and highs are not any more detailed or resolving, yet they seem more harsh. Meze have some treble magic.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    moedawg140 likes this.
  4. moedawg140 Contributor
    I’m taking life one day at a time - and remaining consistently grateful to be here. Thanks immensely for your and other’s generosity - especially to those that do not know anything of me.

I believe at NYC, I played Beyoncé’s Yoncé/Partition from her self/titled album (one of my favorite subbass testing tracks). Glad I didn’t forget everything! :smile: The 99 Neo is a good sounding headphone at a fraction of the price of the 99 Classics. Nice midbass and really thumps if you hook it up with a DAC/amp such as the Black Label. Before I departed for Bulgaria, I auditioned the Clear at RMAF, and that one was my favorite-sounding headphone at the event. Now the Elex is/will be available soon, I bet that put quite the conundrum of sorts into the minds of those who own the Utopia and possibly those that are looking to purchase the Elear if they have not already.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Mark Up likes this.
  5. Mark Up
    Thanks you too. My wife and I will probably make the trip to NYC CanJam in 2018. Now that I've conquered most dynamics, there are a bunch of brand new and emerging planars to try there. Clear headphones are interesting, as are the Elux. I hope to try those and the Elear there too. I tried the Utopia and while they had amazing detail, they were a little bright for me, and as I had expected, lacked low bass. The Focal Listen surprised me, it has a good sound signature and isolation, and the sub bass was huge, yet controlled, among the biggest and best that I've heard. Unfortunately, they were a bit small on my head and still had the issue with too small pads. They need to make a version that extends farther, with longer & deeper cups, and a little less treble possibly and they'd really have a winner in the closed category. With all these open offerings they should focus on closed cans now, a step up in size, smoothness, and quality from the Listen.

moedawg140 likes this.
  6. moedawg140 Contributor
    Hopefully I’ll be able to attend NYC in a couple of months (not medically cleared to fly yet). If I can get there via train, I would be a happy camper.

So many headphones available - it’s tough to find out what ticks every single box for us. I really want to try out the Nura headphone, the “hype” is pretty real on Kickstarter/Facebook. I’m looking forward to the next crop of headphones in the future - it’s a good time to be an audiophile/music lover!

Hope to see you there!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Mark Up likes this.
  7. Share2Care
    BIG thanks for your reply amigo. Most appreciated!

With the ear pads, would you consider the larger Eikon which would give the drivers a little more breathing room if you know what I mean?

Thank you! :)

8. m usicguy
    I have the Ebony version. Any tips to tame the 5-6 K spike?

m usicguy

9. Mark Up
    This is very often the biggest dilemma for me. Every attempt to smooth a peak in the highs mechanically (covering with various fabric or foam) reduces the good stuff along with the stuff you don't want. Honestly the best way is to insert some kind of EQ if your playback unit doesn't have it, dial in that area, and pull it down a few notches. It's not always possible though. I'll usually just give up on headphones if one area like that keeps bothering me and find a pair that doesn't have that issue (though it's not easy as it may have other issues).

10. VRacer-111
    The right pad can tame it some...for the PH's its about 4-5dB down coming off the upper mids from stock in that region on the Jmoney V3s, unfortunately cannot get these pads:

[​IMG]

ZMF Ori would be a good alternative as long as the 8-9k increase is not a concern:

[​IMG]

Note: both pads using custom in-pad attenuators...

11. m usicguy
    @VRacer-111

Could you please describe your paper filters please. Thank you all for your help. I and my wife love the bottom end of these headphones. Its just the highs are a problem.

m usicguy

12. cskippy
  13. VRacer-111
    As long as the pad is not sealed inside the bottom of the earhole to allow for placing a thin sheet of stiff material between the bottom side of the pad and driver cover material, you can make custom in-pad attenuators for it. I don't remember who it was, but it was another member much earlier in this thread that brought out this idea. Basically you don't want to make an 'O' disc like the Dekoni plastic attenuators (which mount different as well), but a 'C' or crescent moon shape that follows the ear opening of the pads. The open part of the 'C' should be at the front of your ear. While the 'O' attenuators do bring up the bass level, it's at a cost of sound quality - the bass is more bliated and mids and highs are less clear and detailed than before. An open 'C' shaped attenuator will bring up the bass, but actually help out a little more with the detail and clarity of the mids and highs, while not bloating the bass.

The shape will actually be a little less than a 'C', and you can experiment with different designs - only rule it don't make a closed 'O'... You can use any thin, stiff material - plastic, stiff paper (like manila folder), Styrofoam plates, etc... once you have your shape you just slip it inside the ear opening, no need to take off the pads from the heaphone.

Pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. bsoplinger
    So basically the idea is to just slightly decrease the front to back size of the opening?

For the shape, did you just trace around the edge of the ear pad? If so could you measure the width across at the middle? Just so I have an idea of what size to make the ones I'm going to try to make. It looks like we're talking just reducing the size of the opening by 2-3mm at most.

15. VRacer-111
    Keep the same opening size, more or less, but yes basically looking the at the same width of the rear section of the pad. It more about wave reflection I believe. I measured the pad height and width and roughly sketched it on the material then cut one side out and trimmed and reworked as necessary to get it to fit how I wanted. Once satisfied with the one side, used the piece as a template for the other side and cut out the second one.

bsoplinger likes this.
First

Back
727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736
738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747
Next

Last