Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 19, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #8,221 of 12,086
  Alright, when polishing the cups I went a bit too far on one side, and the top part of the "e" in the fostex logo became bare. No more lacquer over that. damn (see how the reflection isn't the same)

So it was time to play a bit with the cups! sanded down that one and applied clear satin polyurethane varnish to see how that would look. Results:

What do you guys think? Do you prefer satin or glossy? the color appears more pink with the satin coating and I quite like that but glossy is really attractive (especially without the bubble wrap stains) Trying to decide what I should do next

If you are taking vote.  + 1 for satin...

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #8,222 of 12,086
  Alright, when polishing the cups I went a bit too far on one side, and the top part of the "e" in the fostex logo became bare. No more lacquer over that. damn (see how the reflection isn't the same)

So it was time to play a bit with the cups! sanded down that one and applied clear satin polyurethane varnish to see how that would look. Results:

What do you guys think? Do you prefer satin or glossy? the color appears more pink with the satin coating and I quite like that but glossy is really attractive (especially without the bubble wrap stains) Trying to decide what I should do next

They both look so good!  Tough decisions.  What type of polish did you use?  Any advice for those that are gonna try the same thing?

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #8,223 of 12,086
so 3 for satin and 2 for glossy right now, just to keep count

They both look so good!  Tough decisions.  What type of polish did you use?  Any advice for those that are gonna try the same thing?

I posted a picture of the polish I used a few pages back :wink:
Advice: be very gentle, don't use too much force and don't rub for too long. The coating on the cups is actually quite thin!

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #8,226 of 12,086
The satin gives them a look simular to the TH-610,

But with that great purpleheart color...

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #8,229 of 12,086
Are the inner cups bare and unfinish?

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #8,232 of 12,086
  I hope you are recording the process of refinishing these cups so we can watch it later on YouTube...:)

Hahaha no sorry I'm not, but I'm taking plenty of pictures! Its my first time refinishing headphone cups too. The only time I did anything with wood was to dye and varnish my Bottlehead Crack.
I'll have to wait for tomorrow anyway to do anything else. I got some bubbles in the satin varnish........
frown.gif
I'll let it cure, sand it and try again tomorrow

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #8,234 of 12,086

Tough decision, both look good. Maybe glossy wins by a margin, as it looks a bit 'classier', at least on the picture. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #8,235 of 12,086
  Are you afraid of sanding off the Fostex logo?  Would that be easy to accidentally do?

That's exactly what I'm afraid of... The Fostex logo seems to be some kind of very thin plastic decal. I was really extra careful when sanding around the bare "e" of the logo before applying the coating. I think using sandpaper, even very fine sandpaper, will surely damage the logo very easily if you're not careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back