Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 9, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #7,231 of 12,086
Source?

Th600 drivers are about 105 per piece and th900 are 110 per piece. Much less to dealers. So while th600 drivers arent much cheaper would make more sense to use I doubt massdrop could obtain a large amount of th900 drivers due to the tougher tolerances on th900 drivers (heavily limiting stocks).

One poster here further back said thx00 had driver tolerances of 1-1.35 teslas. It would be impossible for the thx00 to utilize th900 drivers since they would need to be between 1.45-1.50 tesla to be even considered th900 drivers.

So design wise, the cups maybe similar to the Japanese cherry birch the th900 uses but I believe there is more differences that attributes to the sound of thx00 and thats includes the pads and potentially cup chamber depth.

Lastly, EMU Teaks measure cleaner than thx00s, especially with distortion. Their sound sig is similar as well. I assume this is because of the teak cups and cup dimensions. They must be using th600 drivers or lesser, highly leaning with something wuth less tolerances. Look at the th600 and th900. They both have similar sound sig, but the distortion on the th600 look like the distortion in the thx00 but the thx00 has much worse bass distortion. They maybe b-stock th600 drivers considering the price or thenlow end distortion can be caused by the pad and plastic insert inside the pads and the cups (it can be all three since the teaks have this too). One can even further speculate that thx00 and teak drivers are thebolder drivers found in the denons because they too all have bass distortion similar to the thx00 and teak this is worth considering even though all we can do is speculate

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTHX00sn1927.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EMuTeak2016.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH600.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

This is the source. Not that it matters much. It is obviously just a private opinion.
The reason I quoted is to reflect on the exceptional value for money that X00s offer. IMO people would still buy it if it would cost $799.
The driver issue has already been covered in depth in the above dialogue.
beerchug.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #7,233 of 12,086
Oh man, this bass is just fabulous. You might need to make small compromises compared to similarly priced opened cans (space, naturalism), but the bass just makes it up for all. No regrets at this end. Perfect balance of my needs, perfect for my music. Joy x1000.

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #7,236 of 12,086
I don't sorry, but it's pretty straight forward. You just open up a bit the frame hole, cut a notch on the cup, cut the bottom of the driver in the shape of the jack and rewire everything, it took me around 2 hours to do

Thanks for the reply, I was just curious as to the amount of cutting needed.

With the SMC connectors you don't need to touch the cups and the frames just cut a little of the driver

You cut the driver?  Not the baffle?  I've done the SMC connector mod to my TH-600 and a TH-900 for a friend and no cutting of either the cup or baffle was needed.

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #7,237 of 12,086
I didn't cut the driver it self but the plastic that it's attached to, I don't know if that's the baffle. If you've done SMC connectors before I would just stick with does already had cables that used 3.5 plugs so it was more convenient for me

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #7,238 of 12,086
I didn't cut the driver it self but the plastic that it's attached to, I don't know if that's the baffle. If you've done SMC connectors before I would just stick with does already had cables that used 3.5 plugs so it was more convenient for me

Its the baffle that you cut.  I went with SMC because I didn't want to do any cutting and since I have 6 other headphones that have the SMC connectors it made more sense like for you having the 3.5mm.

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #7,239 of 12,086
Thanks for the reply, I was just curious as to the amount of cutting needed.

You cut the driver?  Not the baffle?  I've done the SMC connector mod to my TH-600 and a TH-900 for a friend and no cutting of either the cup or baffle was needed.

With the SMC connectors you don't need to touch the cups and the frames just cut a little of the driver

No cutting is necessary with SMC. See my post a few pages ago with pics.

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #7,241 of 12,086
I have the purplehearts coming, and also an order for ZMF Omni cans,which should aŕrive before the purplehearts ship in mid august.
Zach from ZMF is about to release a new earpad exclusively for the Omni model, but he states that they should also fit the Fostex TH 6OO/900 and TH X00, so I assume they'll work for the purplehearts. Will try swapping them in and out when I have both headphones, to ascertain whether they are an improvement over the TH-X00 purpleheart pads that ship with them.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #7,244 of 12,086
I will cherish the Purpleheart very much that I would be scared to change pads/mod it :joy:

My Purplehearts will go to Peterek for removable cable mod :)

Then the Lawton mods as fjrabon described a few pages back.

Then the tricks in the EZ Mods thread to further dial in the sound I want :)

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #7,245 of 12,086
Why this hurry with mods guys?
It took me 1-2 months to fully understand/adjust the sound of my stock X00 Mahogany. Now I know what I would/could change in the sound. Modding instantly is a bit like shooting blindly imo. You do not even taste the food, but sending it back immediately...
I am absolutely satisfied with my stock X00s, I am not intending to do any mods. (I did mod headphones before /400s/.)
The only reason I would change cups or pads on X00s would be pure experimenting. Not because I am not satisfied enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back