Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 24, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #7,037 of 12,086
Cheesy-phrase-time: Being 1 of 8000 out of 7 billion people owning a certain pair of headphones is good/exclusive enough for me! Think about it this way...

Lol!  Funniest line I have read today about this "exclusivity" question.  The mere thought of being one of the 8000 really turns on the warm and fuzzies. Right!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #7,038 of 12,086
Honestly this is the first and last product I buy that is a "Massdrop exclusive". I really wish I had heard about the Emu cans before jumping on the X00. At least Emu let's you know what the deal is beforehand. They had the foresight to offer several cup variations without stringing the buyers along. Obviously Fostex dropped the prices on their th-line oem business and several companies pounced. I prefer Emu's honest selling strategies (plus they have the stronger magnets to boot). Does Emu only sell using group buys?

E-MU started offering multiple cups about the same time the Purpleheart was announced. When the E-MU Teak was first announced it was only available in Teak. E-MU sells their headphones outside of group buys. In fact if you buy one in Asia from a store you get an incredible wooden display box that is too heavy for the shipping in the Massdrop buys. However, currently the distributor/dealer network for E-MU isn't as good in the US and Europe. They're working on fixing that but it may take a while.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #7,042 of 12,086

A lot of people have them on their desk while not listening to them. Plenty of people care about the look out their car, but can't see it when they're driving... 

Exactly!

When I'm not listening to my Fostex, they sit on my desk and sometimes I just catch myself admiring the design and just how damn good looking they are.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #7,043 of 12,086
The TH-X00 with the E-MU Ebony earcups are gorgeous, in my opinion. I've come to appreciate them as well because the Ebony gives me a bass boost from the stock Mahogany cups that were starting to sound just not as bassy to my ears (based on headphones/IEMs I've listened to as of late). The midrange and treble are still glorious as bass has increased but doesn't hinder the rest of the presentation to my ears. I've gotten used to the weight as well, so no real worries in that department - still lighter in weight than say the Focal Elear and Utopia (heavier than the Listen, though). Here's a pic with all of the modifications as well:

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #7,046 of 12,086
  My cocktail for tonight: white widow, single malt from the Isle of Skye, Mojo and X00s Mahogany. (Plus some secret ingredients.) 
Has anyone tried something similar? :)

I don't drink (alcohol), but the TH-X00 in Mahogany sounds great with just about every product I've attached it to. 
normal_smile .gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #7,047 of 12,086
The TH-X00 with the E-MU Ebony earcups are gorgeous, in my opinion. I've come to appreciate them as well because the Ebony gives me a bass boost from the stock Mahogany cups that were starting to sound just not as bassy to my ears (based on headphones/IEMs I've listened to as of late). The midrange and treble are still glorious as bass has increased but doesn't hinder the rest of the presentation to my ears. I've gotten used to the weight as well, so no real worries in that department - still lighter in weight than say the Focal Elear and Utopia (heavier than the Listen, though). Here's a pic with all of the modifications as well:

Beautiful...dibs if you ever sell them :)

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #7,048 of 12,086

Beautiful...dibs if you ever sell them :)

Thanks - I have made it a point to never sell any of the audio equipment that I purchase or review, but, you can listen to them all you want if you attend one of the meets that I will attend in the future.  Just send me a message and I will bring anything I own for you to listen! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #7,049 of 12,086

A lot of people have them on their desk while not listening to them. Plenty of people care about the look out their car, but can't see it when they're driving... 

My point is that there's no reason to get worked up because Massdrop is making more cup variations available. I have the mahogany X00s and and am perfectly happy with them. Some people seem to be angry because they're compelled to buy a new pair with different cups. The differences in sound will be subtle at best so you're mainly paying for aesthetics.

Jun 24, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #7,050 of 12,086
  My cocktail for tonight: white widow, single malt from the Isle of Skye, Mojo and X00s Mahogany. (Plus some secret ingredients.) 
Has anyone tried something similar? :)

Sounds delicious. I have been experimenting with alcohol and one of them is pisco from Peru. My girlfriend is Peruvian-Japanese and I've bought some decent pisco here in the US. It is a clear alcohol that is made from grapes, like brandy but without age. Just the best harvested grapes (usually green ones) and intensely strong. Another special thing about pisco is that it is distilled to proof at 43%. Many alcohols are watered down to bring them to their volume.

Not for the faint of heart, but at 43% alcohol I'd rather have a shot of pisco than vodka or make a chilcano which is pisco, ginger ale, and lime juice. Great enjoyment with the X00s and Mojo just like you have. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back