Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 24, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #6,586 of 12,086
Thanks! They actually are TH-600 cups, just dampened and painted white by PETEREK. Opted to switch when I decided to go 2.5mm on my connectors, which require minor drilling on the cups (a no no for those beautiful mahoganies). The paint job was just to make it unique and not look completely like the 600.

Can you change the 2.5mm to SMC?  that way you don't need to mod the cups, its what I did for my TH-600 and a friends TH-900

May 24, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #6,587 of 12,086
I probably would be doing the same if my modded X00 didn't require minor drilling for the cups to fit.

Are they actually THX00 with the metal TH600 cups?

Why not find someone who can work wood and custom request Ebony cups.

Here's my E-MI with Ebony cups. Currently have the ebony with THX00.

mrMb3rx.jpg

THX00 also look and sound nice with the rosewood too, gotta get a picture of THX00 with them but check out it out in the E-MU:

HmIITuO.jpg

May 24, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #6,588 of 12,086
Can you change the 2.5mm to SMC?  that way you don't need to mod the cups, its what I did for my TH-600 and a friends TH-900

I had SMC to begin with. That kind of connection is too much of a hassle for me.

Are they actually THX00 with the metal TH600 cups?

Why not find someone who can work wood and custom request Ebony cups.

Yup, TH-X00 with white metal TH-600 cups. Custom wood requests will get too expensive for me, unfortunately. I've already spent enough on the purchase and mod job. If it wasn't for me selling the mahogany cups I'd be feeling a little remorse over how much I've spent, honestly.

May 24, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #6,590 of 12,086
I had SMC to begin with. That kind of connection is too much of a hassle for me.
Yup, TH-X00 with white metal TH-600 cups. Custom wood requests will get too expensive for me, unfortunately. I've already spent enough on the purchase and mod job. If it wasn't for me selling the mahogany cups I'd be feeling a little remorse over how much I've spent, honestly.

From what the spec sheets show I'm speculating the THX00 and TH600 has the same 1 tesla drivers. I wonder if there's any more changes to the drivers. Do you know if it sounds closer to the TH600 with the metal cups?

When I checked out the appearance of the EMU driver and THX00 drivers there was literally no difference even in baffle dampening. So I'm assuming the magnet is what's the difference in the drivers between the THX00 and EMU Teak.

May 24, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #6,591 of 12,086
From what the spec sheets show I'm speculating the THX00 and TH600 has the same 1 tesla drivers. I wonder if there's any more changes to the drivers. Do you know if it sounds closer to the TH600 with the metal cups?

When I checked out the appearance of the EMU driver and THX00 drivers there was literally no difference even in baffle dampening. So I'm assuming the magnet is what's the difference in the drivers between the THX00 and EMU Teak.

Never heard the 600, but my guess from reading A/B comparisons between the two is they are indeed exactly the same inside. When I first installed the metal cups, sound change reflected more towards what I've been reading about the 600. It was definitely more v-shaped and sharper up top. That is why I asked PETEREK to dampen the cups in order to match more of the stock X00 sound, which is entirely capable. The different pads between the X00 and 600 are what affect the sound the most, in my opinion.

May 24, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #6,592 of 12,086

There is another standard Fostex driver to consider, the TH500. I'm not sure, but that driver I believe might be a candidate.

May 24, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #6,593 of 12,086

I'm one of the few that like the SMC connector, more secure connection and fits were many other jacks will not.  My preference is mini-XLR but those are so large,  I also had issues with 2.5 and 3.5mm jacks that I installed in my MDR-7506, K553, and M50.  But its just my experience so if the 2.5mm work for you great.

May 24, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #6,595 of 12,086
I'm one of the few that like the SMC connector, more secure connection and fits were many other jacks will not.  My preference is mini-XLR but those are so large,  I also had issues with 2.5 and 3.5mm jacks that I installed in my MDR-7506, K553, and M50.  But its just my experience so if the 2.5mm work for you great.

Oh, don't get me wrong. The quality and secure fit of SMC is top notch. I just prefer plug and play, that's all.

May 24, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #6,596 of 12,086
Never heard the 600, but my guess from reading A/B comparisons between the two is they are indeed exactly the same inside. When I first installed the metal cups, sound change reflected more towards what I've been reading about the 600. It was definitely more v-shaped and sharper up top. That is why I asked PETEREK to dampen the cups in order to match more of the stock X00 sound, which is entirely capable. The different pads between the X00 and 600 are what affect the sound the most, in my opinion.

Ah, that's exciting. The drivers being essentially sonically the same (as long as the magnets are the same) means a lot for some mods I'm trying out.

Some conclusions I've made.

1. THX00 and EMU drivers are sonically similar with out the cups in both measurements and by ear.

2. With cups they reveal their magnet tuning. Ebony cups in Emu makes them sound like THX00 but ebony cups on THX00 make them sound bossier with smoother highs. Teak cups on the THX00 brings forward the mids and retains similar baas but on the EMU is makes them very natural sounding and smoother across the sound spectrum. Which also matches with my measurements.

3. I gotta test out TH600 pads, ZMF, Alpha Pads, HM5 pads on my headphones to measure the differences. Too poor right now since I got a lathe to learn wood turning to test out different wood cups. But you've confirmed that pads can make quite the difference within the same driver magnet tuning.

May 24, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #6,597 of 12,086
Ah, that's exciting. The drivers being essentially sonically the same (as long as the magnets are the same) means a lot for some mods I'm trying out.

Some conclusions I've made.

1. THX00 and EMU drivers are sonically similar with out the cups in both measurements and by ear.

2. With cups they reveal their magnet tuning. Ebony cups in Emu makes them sound like THX00 but ebony cups on THX00 make them sound bossier with smoother highs. Teak cups on the THX00 brings forward the mids and retains similar baas but on the EMU is makes them very natural sounding and smoother across the sound spectrum. Which also matches with my measurements.

3. I gotta test out TH600 pads, ZMF, Alpha Pads, HM5 pads on my headphones to measure the differences. Too poor right now since I got a lathe to learn wood turning to test out differenthe wood cups. But you've confirmed that pads can make quite the difference within the same driver magnet tuning.

That is some good info, man, thanks. Now you have me even more intrigued by the ebony cups. Bossier and smoother highs? Mmmmm... yummy

May 25, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #6,598 of 12,086
I wrote a short review in german. For those who are interested:

http://kopfbox.de/testberichte/massdrop-x-fostex-th-x00/

I have taken the photos at daylight, no artificial lightning.
So you get an imagination of what they look in natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back