Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 17, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #6,466 of 12,086
Z on YouTube tested both the X00 and the T50RP MK3. He likes both but says they are completely different. Accordong to him T50RP MK3 is much more neutral, great for monitoring. And X00 is just "crazy fun" (his words). Bass is more and better extended on X00 with better impact. T50 is better for critical listening, X00 is for ultimate fun.
He also changed the pads on the T50.

I asked him somewhere in comments about the main differences of this two hps, and basically this is what he said.
I haven't heard the T50s myself, but he was quite right about the X00s.

May 17, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #6,467 of 12,086
Z on YouTube tested both the X00 and the T50RP MK3. He likes both but says they are completely different. Accordong to him T50RP MK3 is much more neutral, great for monitoring. And X00 is just "crazy fun" (his words). Bass is more and better extended on X00 with better impact. T50 is better for critical listening, X00 is for ultimate fun.
He also changed the pads on the T50.

I asked him somewhere in comments about the main differences of this two hps, and basically this is what he said.
I haven't heard the T50s myself, but he was quite right about the X00s.

LOL yep, I'm a Patreon supporter and consider myself a Zeosphile. Each HP in my sig (except PC350SE) was purchased based on his review of them. I'm sure I haven't seen ALL of his videos, but certainly most of them.

In the case of X00, Z's video came out too late and I missed the May drop........but then a week or so later, Purpleheart fell in my lap :)

My brain is still trying to classify my Mk3's. If they're supposed to be "flat" and "critical" headphones, then they're the most fun ones I've ever heard :) Mk3's are also supposed to have a sharp sub-bass rolloff, but I'm not hearing it in the course of normal listening. Of course, I don't really "test" my headphones, I just use them to play the music I normally listen to, and what I hear is what I hear.

I think I'm turning into a Fostex fanboy...I love these T50's, but I'm still sure I'll love X00 PH more.

May 17, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #6,468 of 12,086
  LOL yep, I'm a Patreon supporter and consider myself a Zeosphile. Each HP in my sig (except PC350SE) was purchased based on his review of them. I'm sure I haven't seen ALL of his videos, but certainly most of them.

In the case of X00, Z's video came out too late and I missed the May drop........but then a week or so later, Purpleheart fell in my lap :)

My brain is still trying to classify my Mk3's. If they're supposed to be "flat" and "critical" headphones, then they're the most fun ones I've ever heard :) Mk3's are also supposed to have a sharp sub-bass rolloff, but I'm not hearing it in the course of normal listening. Of course, I don't really "test" my headphones, I just use them to play the music I normally listen to, and what I hear is what I hear.

I think I'm turning into a Fostex fanboy...I love these T50's, but I'm still sure I'll love X00 PH more.

I think you will too. I have the Alpha Dog which is a modded Fostex T50RP in 3D printed cups and baffle. I think it is a fantastic headphone and its almost completely neutral. I do think that the THX00 offers better extension in the high frequencies, the Alpha Dog seems to be missing a little information there.

Everything else about it is pretty darn good but I might be selling them soon with my aim at the Ether C. The TH-X00 have pretty much replaced them for musical enjoyment.

May 17, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #6,469 of 12,086
  So i'm thinking of selling my he-400's (400's, not 400i's) for a pair of th-x00. Is this a good idea? I heard it would be more of a sidegrade but what makes me not like the he-400 as much as i could (i still enjoy them a lot) would be the recessed mids and the harsh treble. Would this be alleviated with the th-x00? 

Also have the original magni/modi, would these pair well? Idk whether to sell them along with the he-400 or not

bump

May 17, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #6,471 of 12,086
Could you elaborate more on what the Lawton mod did to your TH600s? I'm considering it for my X00s, but don't know how much difference there would be because of the X00s wood cups.

Also, I tried the Alpha Pads and actually thought that they accentuated the V signature that the X00s have, especially the bass, which seemed to increase in volume significantly. Very interesting since the Lawton pads seem similar and you reported the opposite effect.

May 17, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #6,472 of 12,086
  I happily report, that after 40-50 hrs burn in the initial 'out of the box' sharpness of the sound (mostly the treble) seems to become much smoother. I will report back after I reached 200 hrs with another slightly more detailed comparison to X2.

My TH-X00 have a similar treble sharpness. The X00 right out of the box, for some tracks there are some sharp "sh" sound from the treble. Maybe it will be fixed after burn in, lets see. 

May 18, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #6,474 of 12,086
Has anyone tried any pads like the doggie treats to tame these?  Any recommendation?

My TH-X00 have a similar treble sharpness. The X00 right out of the box, for some tracks there are some sharp "sh" sound from the treble. Maybe it will be fixed after burn in, lets see. 

All you need is to put a cotton ball over the drivers under the pads. Make sure it covers the entire driver. You can experiment with thickness. It works way better than a sheet of two ply toilet paper because it let's more air through and from my tests 1 ply, 2 Ply, paper hand towels all cut away at the treblend quite a bit.

I take 1 cotton ball and pull out half of it and spread it over the both drivers (half for 1 driver and half the the other). That's enough to tame the highs.

May 18, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #6,476 of 12,086
All you need is to put a cotton ball over the drivers under the pads. Make sure it covers the entire driver. You can experiment with thickness. It works way better than a sheet of two ply toilet paper because it let's more air through and from my tests 1 ply, 2 Ply, paper hand towels all cut away at the treblend quite a bit.

I take 1 cotton ball and pull out half of it and spread it over the both drivers (half for 1 driver and half the the other). That's enough to tame the highs.

Yea, I will try with the cotton thanks. 

Talking about the mids of the TH-X00. It does not have recessed mids. But since the TH-X00 are tuned with more bass, for specific track you may feel the bass and drums slightly louder than the vocal. (it maybe due to poor mixing?) But for most track, the vocal should be straight up in the center very close to you. For the texture of vocal, it is very good if you compare it to other headphone like the ATH-M50X, ATH-A900X or ATH-AD1000X. Slight EQ can bring up the mids and can make the music better for specific track. But the texture and clarity of vocal is still not at the level of HD800 or HE1000. 

All parts of the music is upfront very close to you on the THX00. All detail is upfront and the middle. There is little sound stage and imaging compare to HD800 /HE1000. Vocal and instrument separation is also not comparable to the HD800 and HE1000. Since the THX00 is a semi-closed headphone, if you aim for insane sound stage and separation then you will not choose the TH-X00 at the first place. :p 

May 18, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #6,477 of 12,086
That's sibilance right?

Sibilance is a hissing sound from the letter "S" and "Z" and possibly a couple other combinations like sh, ch, zh.    So if she sings a word with "S" in it and it sounds unnaturally loud and hurts your ears or annoys you then your headphones are sibilant.

I don't have this problem with my X00 but I guess a couple other people have.    My X2 sounded sibilant to me but not the X00. 

May 18, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #6,478 of 12,086
Sibilance is a hissing sound from the letter "S" and "Z" and possibly a couple other combinations like sh, ch, zh.    So if she sings a word with "S" in it and it sounds unnaturally loud and hurts your ears or annoys you then your headphones are sibilant.

I don't have this problem with my X00 but I guess a couple other people have.    My X2 sounded sibilant to me but not the X00. 
I guess it depends on the amp and source right?

May 18, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #6,479 of 12,086
I guess it depends on the amp and source right?

There are many factors, not just the amp and source, could be DAC, genre, your hearing and others.  That's why its always a good idea to try and listen to any headphone that you are interested in.  But if like me, its hard to audition anything other than beats and bose so the only way is to buy and try.

May 18, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #6,480 of 12,086
I found this going from my other sources. Recently got a Aune X1S and it really made this headphone sound amazing.
It always sounded great but after the DAC/AMP change out it just had so much more authority and blew my mind.

I like my Aune X1S, but had the misfortune of having a one week trial with the Simaudio Moon NEO 230HAD.  That was way better for the TH-X00.  One reason may be its very low output impedance.  The Aune is 10 ohms, which is not good for a low impedance 'phone.  The NEO is less than 1 ohm, and much more suitable in that aspect.  Whether or not that was the cause, my TH-X00 was more lively, more solid, and more resolving with the NEO. Sadly, though, the NEO is almost 5 times the price of the Aune...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back