1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 24, 2015.
First

Back
141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150
152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161
Next

Last
  1. dxanex

Not to mention all the built in filters on smart phones, and apps like snapseed that can dramatically make to wood grain look to have much deeper contrast/tones than in real life. I can make my cups look bright orange or deep walnut depending on the filter I'm on.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender1.jpg

Honestly, though the cups look pretty fantastic no matter how they are photographed. 

2. moedawg140 Contributor

Bingo, and I agree on all accounts.

3. grizzlybeast
    Actually they are as big looking but the opening is bigger and they don't break or rip as fast. Very durable. Better quality actually.

gelocks likes this.
  4. TWerk
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Got mine today! Been listening a bit, they sound excellent. I can agree that they sound a bit forward or close, but that they are quite involving despite/because of this. Midrange is excellent, highs smooth but present, and bass is powerful. Treble nicely tamed from how I remember the th600.

Very happy with them so far, and I'm liking the pads. Very comfortable and they fit really great on my ears. Not sure about all this pad talk going on here... I like the snug-ish fit. Like a pair of shoes, they just fit well, I don't like oversized pads.

Excited to keep listening...

5. CCXR594
    New winner for best grain IMHO. Love the striping.

TWerk likes this.
  6. thekorsen
    You mentioned that you found the magni to be a great pairing. Out of curiosity, what were the differences sound signature wise the magni had when compared to the O2. Also, which model of the magni were you using?

Thanks in advance! :)

7. fjrabon

Magni 2.

Really they were more or less indistinguishable. The Grace M9XX was a tiny bit better than either, and the Magni, Lyr in low gain solid state mode and O2 were all more or less a dead heat (used the Grace as the DAC for all for consistency).

8. thekorsen
    Good to know! Guess it'll just be a waiting game for me until one shows up for a nice price somewhere.

9. notfitforpublic

All this amp talk is a little discouraging for me. I was hoping the lo gain impedance of the the Valhalla 2 (3.4ohms Maximum Power 50 ohms: 180mW RMS per channel) was gonna play nice with these. Only other source/amp I have is the Fiio X3ii and E11k. Hopefully the Valhalla is an exception to the "tubes may not be the best" for these.

10. yukihasi
    Anyone had experience with MD customer service? They just kept ignoring me on the issue of the lost thx00 package. 

11. xingfei
    Nice! your HP's cups look much more darker for the others I've seen.

12. xingfei
    Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that, that really sucks though. Have you tried calling them, I believe someone a few pages back stated massdrop phone # in a post, to get a quicker answer from them, though business hours would apply if I read correctly.

Good luck!

13. CCXR594
    They were very prompt and on-point when I requested a shipping address change.

14. Soundsgoodtome

Sorry to hear as well. You may want to contact UPS as well to see if they can't hone the package to a hub/transit/truck/etc. Packages don't just drop out, they either get lost in transit but can be tracked down. Or they delivered it somewhere else, which is the worse case scenario.

15. TWerk
    These are like a smoother, more relaxed iteration of TH600/TH900. Big points are smoother treble and more midrange, like everyone is saying.

These are certainly darker.

A good thing about that is that it allows for more volume and less fatigue.

I think TH900 sounded more like an open back, while these sound more like a closed back (though they leak like an open back).

From memory - TH900 should have noticeably more air and sparkle in the treble. More extension up top for more air, and more precision/detail/resolution because of this. This can lead to more harshness. Better/larger soundstage, and more distance/imaging in the presentation. You lose soundstage on THX00, but then again, the closer (more intimate) presentation has its own charm.

Looking forward to the comparisons direct to TH900 (@fjrabon), which I think should echo this, would also like comparison of their bass ability.

THX00 - more midrange, smoother treble, smaller soundstage, sounds like a closed back.

TH900 - less upfront midrange, more air and treble extension/sparkle/detail, bigger soundstage, better imaging, more resolving to detail/technicalities, more open sounding.

This might sound overly negative towards the THx00, but it's not. I'm really liking them, just different... a lot would probably depend on your treble preferences.

legcramp and Hi-Fi EDU like this.
First

Back
141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150
152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161
Next

Last