Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 9, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #2,236 of 12,086
Whats the point doing non burned HP review? I dont know..
blink.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #2,237 of 12,086
blink.gif

because people are asking, and these are clearly labelled "early impressions, will update as they burn-in."  We all apologize that your free content isn't exactly what you want.

I mean what in the heck are you expecting?  These were delivered on sunday at the earliest, the only ones that are burned in properly are the review units.  What exactly were you hoping to see on this thread, if not "early impressions pre-full-burn-in"?  

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #2,238 of 12,086
They are hard to photograph "objectively".  I can make mine look more brown, or more blonde, or more reddish, depending on the light, plus they're nicely glossy, so you have to angle them certain ways for the camera.  And of course wood varies from piece to piece, which is absolutely one of its positive features - every one of these is individual and custom.

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #2,239 of 12,086
Anyone try the ZMF lamdskin pads they should fit and are $10 less than the alphas.

Wondering as well
(plus I don't they they are as big as the Alpha's).

blink.gif

'cause ***K "burn-in", that's why!!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #2,241 of 12,086
  can this suit an audiophile basshead

I think that's exactly what it's for.  Or somebody like me who is a "neutral head" but likes a little bass fun from time to time.

Arctic Monkeys - AM is daggum blissful on these.

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #2,242 of 12,086
I think he meant the $500 FADs that he got from Massdrop didn't require a signature and these did, I.e. a lack of consistency.

Yea, that's what I intended to convey. I probably should have been more specific.

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #2,243 of 12,086
also, everybody make sure you play with rotating the pads.  I'm getting pretty noticeable differences in sound and fit from relatively small rotations (5-15 degrees) of the pads on the cups.  I rotated mine back counter-clockwise by about 10 degrees, and the seal on my head was a lot better, with a little better comfort.  

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #2,245 of 12,086

yeah, I'm really curious if the coloring varies as much as the pictures seem to indicate.  Or if it's just different cameras/lighting conditions.  Some have looked blonde, some brown, some red.  

I'm sure there is some product variation, but I would attribute many of the differences to lighting and cameras. These were all taken with the same camera, in the same location, with the same headphones. The only difference is lighting (And the cup on the first one. You'll have to take my word for it that it is a close match, IRL).

Left to right - 1. Overhead and a little too much sunlight. 2. Balanced overhead plus diffused sunlight. (Pretty accurate) 3. Uneven direct light. 4. Uneven indirect light. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2,246 of 12,086
If you are able to listen to the TH-X00 with the QP1R, you may be in for a technically fabulous and beautifully sounding treat.

Waiting for my TH-X00...someday it will reach me...eventually... I hope

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #2,248 of 12,086

Thanks. What about the JDS O2 ODAC for only $279.  .54 ohms.

I tried the O2 with them and thought it was a good combo on the low gain setting.  Was my third favorite amp with them of what I've tried (well, not counting the Lyr in low power solid state mode, since that's a specific configuration of an amp and it's completely overkill, since the Magni does just as well for a fraction of the price (on this headphone).  

The O2 really shapes the bass up nice, but keeps, if not enhances the authority and slam.  Also helps with imaging.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #2,249 of 12,086
Need to find a dac/amp that will tighten up the bass a bit while also offering a bass boost for when I need to get my basshead on. Thinking about purchasing a iFi iDSD micro, anyone have this amp/dac that can test it with the TH-x00's?

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #2,250 of 12,086

You may want a tad more power and/or even lower impedance, to give them their ULTIMATE expression, but yes, I'd guess the E10K will serve them well, certainly better than a tube OTL amp, which they're honestly a mess with.  

Thanks. What about the JDS O2 ODAC for only $279.  .54 ohms.

That will work. JDS does a killer job with their Objective products. IMO, O2 is at its best with fun sounding headphones - tightening up the technicalities and letting the headphone really do its thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back