Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 7, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #1,891 of 12,070

I'm there with you, I enjoy the variety of reviews as well. The diverse interpretation and subjective experience of others is how we learn (if we're open to it) where our own interests and tastes fit along the spectrum. Like you, I don't quite understand the need to chime in or speak with authority about something I haven't personally experienced. Additionally, it's sufficient and perfectly acceptable to state an opinion that is entirely your own (preferably with justifiable reasoning) without having to dismiss the formed opinion of another. I'm not always at my best on this, but I try to be cognizant and respectful of the people, ideas, emotions, and thoughts around me. 

Silly, we humans are.  

The "I have never even heard this, but I'm going to give a strong opinion on it based on "educated" guesses I'm making" is by far the most annoying aspect of head-fi.  Well, except the whole making me spend thousands of dollars on things I don't really need part.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #1,892 of 12,070
I have been listening to these for hours now. (Mac min, Burson soloist SL, wyred 4 sound DAC2)

#1 this is a bass head headphone, bass is very stong on through the mid bass. These have a lot of mid bass but tight mid bass. Those looking for a reference headphone should move along.

#2 For me they are better than the TH900 I had. I did not like the Th900 as the Mids were way too receced.

They sound 98% of the Th900 with more Mids. Mids and treble are shelved down from the bass on these too but on the th900 the Mids dipped.

#3 I feel like they need to be played out to come alive.

All in all if you want to try the Fostex sound but have been turned off by the price get these and forget about the th900. If you think the th900 have too much bass you will not like these either.

If you want a bass head headphone but don't want to give up other qualities... These could be your holy grail.

What's your audio chain?

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,893 of 12,070
Dec 7, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,894 of 12,070

The "I have never even heard this, but I'm going to give a strong opinion on it based on "educated" guesses I'm making" is by far the most annoying aspect of head-fi.  Well, except the whole making me spend thousands of dollars on things I don't really need part.

Haha depending how long you've hung around here you've probably left the "things I don't really need" stratosphere years ago. The earbuds that are included with an ipod technically do play sound. :)

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,895 of 12,070
Well mine is here, but I wasn't there to take delivery, and tomorrow it will arrive. Then I will ship immediately to the next fortunate buyer
wink.gif
. In the mean time, mine arrived today

I'm quite jealous of this picture at the moment! Do you have to wait for a listening session or can you jam out to your heart's (or ear's) content? If you can't, damn, that's rough. 

smile.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #1,896 of 12,070
So, I'm going to pick these up before work wednesday.  I have access to some of the gear I've sold off to friends (and some that is theirs), and they're going to let me borrow it to do some impressions with different setups.  I've taken thursday off work already, but part of me is considering lugging the following in to work on wednesday:

THX00
HiFiMan HE400i
Shure SRH840
AudioTechnica M50X
AudioTechnica ESW9
Grace 9XX
Schiit Modi uber2
Schiit Magni
Schiit bitfrost
Schiit Lyr
JDS ODAC
JDS 02
Millett SSMH
AudioEngine D1

I can't even imagine how people are going to look at me lugging this all in to work.  It's my slow time of year, and I've basically finished everything I need to do before Christmas, but this is clearly unreasonably pushing it.

If I get fired, just know I did it for Head-Fi

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #1,897 of 12,070
I'm quite jealous of this picture at the moment! Do you have to wait for a listening session or can you jam out to your heart's (or ear's) content? If you can't, damn, that's rough. 

:smile:

Thank you! Now still waiting lol! Gotta wait for my adapter from 1/4 to 3.5mm tomorrow. Now I can only listen through my large rig which my kids are enjoying atm :D

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #1,898 of 12,070
  So, I'm going to pick these up before work wednesday.  I have access to some of the gear I've sold off to friends (and some that is theirs), and they're going to let me borrow it to do some impressions with different setups.  I've taken thursday off work already, but part of me is considering lugging the following in to work on wednesday:

THX00
HiFiMan HE400i
Shure SRH840
AudioTechnica M50X
AudioTechnica ESW9
Grace 9XX
Schiit Modi uber2
Schiit Magni
Schiit bitfrost
Schiit Lyr
JDS ODAC
JDS 02
Millett SSMH
AudioEngine D1

I can't even imagine how people are going to look at me lugging this all in to work.  It's my slow time of year, and I've basically finished everything I need to do before Christmas, but this is clearly unreasonably pushing it.

You'll be the envy of all your coworkers. Nothing quite like getting your coworkers addicted to spending thousands on audio equipment that will send your office into a spiral of addicts who audition each other's equipment all day.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #1,899 of 12,070

THX00
HiFiMan HE400i
Shure SRH840
AudioTechnica M50X
AudioTechnica ESW9
Grace 9XX
Schiit Modi uber2
Schiit Magni
Schiit bitfrost
Schiit Lyr
JDS ODAC
JDS 02
Millett SSMH
AudioEngine D1

"What, this stuff? Oh, it's for an experiment I'm conducting...."

tongue_smile.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #1,900 of 12,070
  Haha depending how long you've hung around here you've probably left the "things I don't really need" stratosphere years ago. The earbuds that are included with an ipod technically do play sound. :)

I counted it up earlier today.  I've owned:

34 headphones (not counting headphones that came with stuff)
10 amps
7 DACs
5 combo units

and I'm sure Im not even on the high end there.  

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,901 of 12,070
Also have to decide on the MATRIX M-Stage HPA-3U  or a iFi Micro iDSD for my combo dac/amp for these. My girl will buy me one of the 2 for Christmas, unless someone can convince me otherwise with some other combo unit that is better.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #1,903 of 12,070
"....." If you want a bass head headphone but don't want to give up other qualities... These could be your holy grail. "..."

And with that, I regret nothing. Getting mine Tuesday, so pumped! Now to secure a nice ODAC and Vali combo. HM5 pads seem very attractive too, but the question is angled or flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back