Fostex THX / TRX spare parts?
Mar 8, 2019 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

halcyon

Headphoneus Supremus
The screw on the hinge of my TH-X00 broke and it looks like it is a proprietary part. I can just replace the screw, as it broke inside the spring-hinge mechanism (the counterpart part, into which the screw screws into, see the images).

THX00 hinge v2.jpg
The Hinge mechanism (above).

THX00 broken screw v2.jpg

The broken screw (and the counterpart spring mechanism, above)

So, does anybody know where to buy Fostex headphone spare parts such as above, esp. the hinge parts, internationally (i.e. Ships to Europe)?

My local retailers do not stock the spare parts.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #8 of 25
Fullcompass replied (quoting):

"Thank you for your interest in Full Compass. We unfortunately no longer ship internationally.
We unfortunately no longer ship internationally. If you know of family, friends, or a freight forwarding company within the United States we can send the products to that address. We only accept U.S. credit cards, U.S. PayPal accounts, and bank wire transfers for methods of payment. Please let me know if you are interested in ordering and have a US shipping address."

So, the search continues....

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #9 of 25
I guess you could use a mail forwarder if they are the only option. But that is a bit worrying as I was reassured that I could get any spares if needed from Fullcompass, I guess the only option there would be mail forwarder, unless anyone knows where else you can get Fostex spares?

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 25
To piggyback off this anyone know if there are any replacement parts for fostex trps? The plastic parts the grab the adjustment sliders on my pair of zmf ori's are pretty worn and could use replacing. I can't seem to find anything at that website, trps aren't exactly an expensive headphone, so I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't any...

A few pics of said parts
https://imgur.com/a/ai6sklI

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 25
Found the parts in the part catalog:

The screw is part# 8204608115 (as stated above, thank you VRacer-111) :
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/527846-fostex-8204608115-m2x6-bd-screw-for-th900

And the corresponding shaft is part# 1420606309:
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/539593-fostex-1420606309-shaft-for-th-900

Replying to myself.

I got the aforementioned parts (via a friend in the USA) for my original Massdrop TH-X00 -headphones, and guess what? Fostex has changed the design AND the tolerances for the shaft (1420606309), so it does NOT fit into TH-X00, but assumedly does fit into the newer TH-610/910 -series. You just gotta love those companies fleecing every single penny they can, by even changing mechanical dimensions of spare parts for no reason (it is functionally the same, just 0.5mm wider while providing no more structural rigidity or any other apparent mechanical advantage that I can think of).

Solution: a metal file and scraping off that extra 0.5mm from the new part and now it fits. Sort of.

It's not a perfect fit, but the headphone is functionally the same (similar spring resistance after screwed in, same rotation of the cups, etc).

Time will tell how long this hack lasts, but for now, I've got my TH-X00 back.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed with Fostex approach and after having taken a part my TH-X00, I'm also less than impressed by their construction quality and total lack of backwave damping/diffusion inside the cups.

But for now, this will do. Thanks to all for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back