Fostex TH909 Announcement
Jul 12, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #152 of 215
Always bet on red.

Yup, Now time to play musical amps and see what she lends herself to best. That and got some ZMF pads, so will be rolling those later.

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #153 of 215
Now it makes me thinking what a bad pairing with the 909 would sound like, can you give me some idea?

Now that I have them back in my position, I have a bad pairing for you. Headamp GS-X mini. I love that amp to death with my Dianas, T1.2, and LCD-4z. But with the 909s the treble gets super scratchy an out of control. Not a fun combo at all. I imagine, as has been pointed out, it's just too much power, even at low volume on low gain... it just upsets them too much.
Now, with the small and outdated Audiolab M-DAC mini? Smooth and detailed and balanced for days. I don't know they ever even sold that model outside of Europe, but it's pairs perfectly. It's a quasi portable device (size of a Hugo2 roughly, also battery powered), so considerably less output power.

I'll report back about my other options. I have a Sony TZAH1ES and a full sized M-DAC plus I haven't tried them out on yet, but neither is a mega high powered device so pretty sure they'll be fine. Runs just fine on the Audeze Deckard as well (even though that kicks out a little more than average power).

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #154 of 215
lol, Idkw but the 909 gives me more of this moment when I have to stop and actively listen to the music.

This song triggered that for me. And the whole album brings out the dynamic quality of the 909 and highlights its balanced and impactful performance with tendency of drawing out more energy at the top ends, retrieve all the details from the intricate instruments used throughout the album. The low ends also are presented with layers and slam, satisfying so.

Aug 9, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #155 of 215
Has anyone any experience using ZMF Ori or Universe pads with the 909's? ... Loving the sound of them but find the pads too uncomfortable and prefer real leather vs synthetic.

Thanks ...

Aug 9, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #156 of 215
I have the Eikon pads and they are SUUUPER comfortable. I dont find a massive sound change (if any), but the diameter is just a touch big for the 909s. Theyll sit on there, but theyre just a mm or two too big to easily fit. If you dont mind fussing a bit to sit them on they work fine once sat.

Aug 17, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #157 of 215
Wonder if anyone have tried sapphire blue th909 yet? Is there any difference between it and red 909?

Aug 17, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #159 of 215
I wished the price of 909SB were the same as the red in EU so I could have had it as well or instead of. The blue finish is absolute endgame to my taste :heart_eyes:

Aug 17, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #160 of 215
There's no Anniversary tuning on the SB909, it just looks absolutely gorgeous.

I wish Fostex would have continued making LE 909s to match the 900s, I think a Pearl White 909 would be perfection.
It would be fantastic if there's a green 909, the green urushi undercoat with some silver tinsel scattered over it, especially with layer grill on the sides, terribly luring!

Aug 17, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #161 of 215
There's no Anniversary tuning on the SB909, it just looks absolutely gorgeous.

I wish Fostex would have continued making LE 909s to match the 900s, I think a Pearl White 909 would be perfection.
I’d buy a purple one in an instant

Sep 6, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #164 of 215
Just for info, TH909 and Mojo 2, match made in heaven.

Probably my favourite kit I've heard it from so far.
How is the treble with this pairing? Are u sensitive at all to this freq?

Sep 6, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #165 of 215
How is the treble with this pairing? Are u sensitive at all to this freq?
I'm very sensible to treble. I've used the 909 with other setups and struggled with the treble. No issue for me at all here. That's without any EQ from the Mojo, which has a really excellent and easy to use EQ feature.

I downgraded from a Hugo 2, as I could barely hear a difference between it and the Mojo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back