Fostex TH900 vs Audeze LCD-X
Apr 24, 2015 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

czy6412

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have decided to have my 2nd pair of TOTL headphones. I currently owning a HE6, and I am thinking about either Fostex TH900 or Audeze LCD-X. Just want to know which one is better in sonic/ better as the supplement with my HE6. Thanks

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 16
Hi

I have both of them and I like both of them. Ultimately there are four dimensions which I would consider

1) Closed vs open
2) Built
3) Weight and comfort
4) Sound signature

Well 1) is simple - LCD-X is fully open and TH900 only absorbing a part of the of the emitted sound energy.

In respect of 2) both of them are superbly built and the TH900 really looks cool, because of its wooden ear-cups. Having said this, this is for me also the biggest limitation. I like to carry my can around and do not always threat them too well. So I am always scared that I will break the Th900. It is also worth pointing out that the cables of LCD-X can be exchanged and you can use them symmetrical. This is an advantage for me, since I one broke the cable of my LCD2...

Regarding 3) some people like the lightweight TH900, for me the considerably bigger weight of LCD-X is no problem. Both of them are very comfortable.

In respect to 4) your choice depends on your various things like the music you are listening too and the preferred sound characteristics. I am personally listening to a lot of classical music and opera. Hence I like headphones which are neutral (you can argue what this means ...). Both of the cans can be considered as neutral. Going through the frequency spectrum:

Bass: Both cans have a strong bass. I think LCD-X is a little bit more direct but possibly TH900 has more

Mid: LCD X is my winner since it is very clear

Highs: Both very good

Overall LCD-X is more neutral and more electrostatic - like. TH900 is more fun for some types of music

Note: Both cans have a decent sensitivity such that you can use them with iPhone & Co. They sound both better with Hugo (et al)

Hope this is helpful

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 16
Great post @miko64! I also have both the LCD-X and TH900 and I concur with everything you wrote.

On the weight/comfort issue -- the LCD-X definitely has a tighter clamp than the TH900. When switching to the TH900 after wearing the LCD-X, I feel like the TH900 has too little clamping force. When switching back, I feel like the LCD-X has too much clamping force. In both cases, I adjust quickly though.

If I could only choose one, I'd go with the LCD-X but this is more of a personal preference.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Huh, funny that I ran across this just as I'm ordering an LCD-X. I'll probably post my impressions friday night or saturday.

May 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 16
So how was your impression?

TH900 has more treble, but less bass than the LCD-X. The speed of the bass on both is very good.Good transient response on both, though the LCD-X is a bit better with it's open design. The mids and highs feel recessed on the LCD-X if you're listening to some types of music, but EDM sounds great. TH900's are a bit more neutral, the sparkle in the highs is pleasant but not fatiguing. The presentation of the soundstage is more intimate with the LCD-Xs, like you're sitting with the band/orchestra/singer. I didn't have as much as I'd have liked to over this weekend to listen to music, I'll see about getting more detailed impressions/comparisons over the next couple of days.

May 4, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 16
TH900 has more treble, but less bass than the LCD-X. The speed of the bass on both is very good.Good transient response on both, though the LCD-X is a bit better with it's open design. The mids and highs feel recessed on the LCD-X if you're listening to some types of music, but EDM sounds great. TH900's are a bit more neutral, the sparkle in the highs is pleasant but not fatiguing. The presentation of the soundstage is more intimate with the LCD-Xs, like you're sitting with the band/orchestra/singer. I didn't have as much as I'd have liked to over this weekend to listen to music, I'll see about getting more detailed impressions/comparisons over the next couple of days.

That is interesting. Many people in Head-Fi have the opinion that TH900 has too much bass, recessed mid and not neutral comparing to LCD-X.

May 4, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 16
this was quick impressions with a small selection of music. I need to hook up another amp or two, and queue up a better selection of music. I was using them for some casual listening on saturday while playing some Dota, and a little bit sunday morning before I went to visit some family. I'll be quing up my normal test tracks and some MFSL Jazz albums this evenning, with a Ragnarok and a Mainline.

May 8, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 16
What did you feel the differences were between the x and the Th900?

I can only remember that I flip flopped between those phones that I mentioned and it took me only 10s for me to put down/filtered out the TH900 from the equation.
Of course YMMV. my 2cts

Gear used during auditon.
Invicta DAC
Wooaudio WA22

May 10, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #15 of 16
I bought a HUGO for a second system in my vacation home so I could use it portably and selling my Vega as a result.  I figured I would use it with Sennheiser IE800, which led me to HD800 which I didn't care much for with the HUGO.  Then I purchased the TH900 which were wonderful to listen to.  Very musical headphones, however, they didn't quite live up to my reference system (which I never expected any cans to live up to) consisting of REF10/GS150/MSB Diamond Plus/Nola Concert Grands (ribbons).  I next tried the new McIntosh which were good but again missing something on the HUGO.  

Which led me to the LCD-3F and X.  I figured, after reading so much on these threads about the need and/or desire for both a closed and open can, I would try the Audeze.  I was "told" I would fall in love with the 3F.  Well I fell in love, but it was the with the X.  I had both for an extended trial, decided the X most closely mirrors my reference I absolutely love them to the point I found myself almost never listening to the Fostex, regardless of the "negatives" of an open can, especially since the Fostex do have a fair amount of leakage.

To make a long story short, I wound up selling my Fostex.  I am not denigrating the Fostex in anyway, which I though were wonderful, however, for me the X are just another level, one where I don't feel a major compromise relative to my reference. I couldn't recommend these more highly.  From my perch, from first listen they were better in every way than the 3F and the most enjoyable I have ever heard the HUGO, including my second system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back