Fostex TH900 mods
Mar 23, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #286 of 343
modded with new cable + XLR plug + Lawton Mod ! (the tuning Kit N°1)

IMG_2979.jpeg

Mar 23, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #287 of 343
38A74660-AD81-4893-B730-27FBD27B07E1.jpeg
6E14F3BE-CDB0-4C07-8FC2-6C420297C63D.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #289 of 343
modded with new cable + XLR plug + Lawton Mod ! (the tuning Kit N°1)
Have you now found the ideal damping amount and position? Some posts ago you weren't complete happy with the damping mod.

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #291 of 343
Have you now found the ideal damping amount and position? Some posts ago you weren't complete happy with the damping mod.

well. I gave up, and now my TH900 is back to his box...

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #292 of 343
Th900 mk2 connector part numbers! Has anyone ever modded a MK1 or TH600 etc?

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #293 of 343
I own two MK1 and one MK2. I just ordered the materials in order to mod them all.
Just not sure I will be able to get the right "wolfelt" in "wit". Contacted the company to see if they are willing to send it to Germany.
Why would MK1 be a different mod than MK2? Are they not build the same except for the replacable cable?
I never opened mine so far.

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #294 of 343
PS: I am planning to do zolkies mod.
I compared TH900 to DT1990 for a while. In the end I do Iike the TH900s still way more, but now I am unhappy with the recessed mids. It is just too recessed. The mids are reproduced way better on the DT1990. But all the rest is better on TH900. Musicality is about on the same level. I sucessfully did some equalizer tweaking (levels down a bit on both ends in a certain way) but I don't want to use an equalizer. So now a mod has to do the trick (hopefully).

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #295 of 343
I compared TH900 to DT1990 for a while. In the end I do Iike the TH900s still way more, but now I am unhappy with the recessed mids. It is just too recessed. The mids are reproduced way better on the DT1990. But all the rest is better on TH900. Musicality is about on the same level. I sucessfully did some equalizer tweaking (levels down a bit on both ends in a certain way) but I don't want to use an equalizer. So now a mod has to do the trick (hopefully).
If you bring the mids forwards then you will have less bass and less treble.

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #296 of 343

Would be worth getting the Dekoni attenuation ring to retain the bass and test different pads. I had the TH900 pads on my TH610 and wasnt a fan, liked the shape but not the material. I alwasy meant to get the lambskin TH900 pad. Lambskin should bring back the highs a little.

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #297 of 343
Currently I am using the modded Stax 009 pads on the TH900 as well as on the D9200.
I still have all the other pads, but I feel the Stax pads sound the most natural and cleanest.
If you want slightly thicker pads, the same mod applies to the Stax 007 pads and they are slightly cheaper.
These lambskin pads will outlast other (non-leather) pads several times, so actually they are good value as well.

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #298 of 343
If you bring the mids forwards then you will have less bass and less treble.
:slight_smile: I am aware of that. This is what I already "achieved" manually via the equalizer settings. First tried to increase the mids. But it was an awful result on the FiiO M15. Reducing highs and bass a bit on the other hand didn't ruin the overall sound. The musicality staid pretty much the same and the mids indeed came forward a bit.
The result was good enough for the decision to send back the DT1990. But it took a while (one week of intensive comparing) and inbetween I was pretty unhappy and even put two of my TH900 pairs for sale. Voices just sounded so unnatural in comparision to the ones on the DT1990 that I coultn't stand it any more.
I once bought these lambskin pads (praised here sometimes). But for me the musicality worsened and that is my top priority in sound preference. So I don't use them.
Still unhappy I found this thread here. My hope lies on the mods now.

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #299 of 343
Currently I am using the modded Stax 009 pads on the TH900 as well as on the D9200.
I still have all the other pads, but I feel the Stax pads sound the most natural and cleanest.
If you want slightly thicker pads, the same mod applies to the Stax 007 pads and they are slightly cheaper.
These lambskin pads will outlast other (non-leather) pads several times, so actually they are good value as well.
Are you saying I should try your mod on my (at the moment not used) lambskin pads immediately?
Does it match with the your mod from page 4 since lambskin will also change the sound characteristics?
I actually love my TH900s so much, I will do everything to make them work for me again by "repairing" the recessed mids ...

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #300 of 343
I own three pairs of used TH900 ( ...before they were at home and two different work places. Now they are in one place due to for some time permanent home office).
Trying to find out which pads are the best to be modified with the mod from zolkies, I found these pades the best sounding ones. Actually to a level, that I will definitely not mod these in order to be able to compare them to a mod on original stock pads. I did try them on the different TH900, but the effect of the pads are stronger than the difference in cables or mk1 vs. mk2.
I bought them all used, so I have no idea, what company produced them. They are for sure not the original pads.
I was searching a bit. The only simiilar looking ones are from Geekria. But they don't look exactly the same.
Can anybody here help me finding out, where these pads are from? They might smell like leather a bit. Maybe it is leather.
Could they be Dekoni LCD pads?
IMG_8549.jpg
IMG_8546.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back