Fostex TH900 mods
Jan 20, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #257 of 343
I'd gladly share my mod details here for whoever wants to attempt (and hopefully make through) their Denon 2000/5000/7000/Fostex TH600/TH900/Massdrop x00/EMU removable cable

Hi.
Thanks for sharing.
Do you still have your fostex with you and have you made any changes to the cable mod?
I am thinking to mod my TH-X00 ebony and found your article.
Would you still recommend the same mmcx connector or have you changed to something new?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #258 of 343
Hi.
Thanks for sharing.
Do you still have your fostex with you and have you made any changes to the cable mod?
I am thinking to mod my TH-X00 ebony and found your article.
Would you still recommend the same mmcx connector or have you changed to something new?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I still have the Fostex. Love it. Yes the same mod is still in effect. Yes I'd recommend the same connectors.

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #259 of 343
Nice share about pads everybody
beerchug.gif

i love how these headphones change with small modifications

Here is my take on pads with the TH-900
cool.gif

- Lowten pads , i thank have the best balance in sound , better mids , smaller sound stage // subtle and sweet .
- Brainwavz angled pads , i remember they where like the Lowten pads but the fit was not perfect.
- Dekoni pads for TH-X00 , i didnt like them , but could be used // sound stage was very reduced , more forward mids
- Dekoni pads for TH-900 almost identical to stock with better leather // better quality with same sound
- TH-X00 stock pads changed the sound very much ,, it felt congested.. sound stage was not there at all // worst
- i ordered ZMF Ori Pads before the massdrop by one day
frown.gif
it was for my HE400i ,, will try them on TH-900
- Dekoni for Beyerdynamic DT/T Also on the way , will see if they fit and how they change the sound.

- Lowten pads with some EQ ,, gave me the best sound for TH-900
L3000.gif

- Dekoni pads for TH-X00 with HE400i . are very very good ,,, (i could not hold my self not mentioning it)
- Any HifiMan pad is compatible with the Fostex TH line (Same ring size)
- i am very tempted to try the carbon foam mod ,, although i am not good in stitching (mostly i will destroy my pads hehe )

May I ask where to buy the Lowten pads ?

thanks

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #260 of 343
Nice share about pads everybody
beerchug.gif

i love how these headphones change with small modifications

Here is my take on pads with the TH-900
cool.gif

- Lowten pads , i thank have the best balance in sound , better mids , smaller sound stage // subtle and sweet .
- Brainwavz angled pads , i remember they where like the Lowten pads but the fit was not perfect.
- Dekoni pads for TH-X00 , i didnt like them , but could be used // sound stage was very reduced , more forward mids
- Dekoni pads for TH-900 almost identical to stock with better leather // better quality with same sound
- TH-X00 stock pads changed the sound very much ,, it felt congested.. sound stage was not there at all // worst
- i ordered ZMF Ori Pads before the massdrop by one day
frown.gif
it was for my HE400i ,, will try them on TH-900
- Dekoni for Beyerdynamic DT/T Also on the way , will see if they fit and how they change the sound.

- Lowten pads with some EQ ,, gave me the best sound for TH-900
L3000.gif

- Dekoni pads for TH-X00 with HE400i . are very very good ,,, (i could not hold my self not mentioning it)
- Any HifiMan pad is compatible with the Fostex TH line (Same ring size)
- i am very tempted to try the carbon foam mod ,, although i am not good in stitching (mostly i will destroy my pads hehe )

May I ask where to buy the Lowten pads ? (Is it another than the " Lawton " one )
Lawton

thanks

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #261 of 343
Jan 30, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #262 of 343
I received my th900 with Lawton cup serval weeks ago, I just love it!
I bought this by coincidence, but this one really becomes my everyday HP.
Especially for the cello music solo, you can feel the cello is tuned perfectly compare to other headphones.

Feb 7, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #263 of 343
I'd gladly share my mod details here for whoever wants to attempt (and hopefully make through) their Denon 2000/5000/7000/Fostex TH600/TH900/Massdrop x00/EMU removable cable mod...

Hi, @AT Khan, I have successfully perform the same mod following your steps and I am very proud and happy that I did.

fostex_ebony_detachable_mod (2).jpg

It looks awesome!
Thanks for sharing and I am sure more people will follow the same steps and mod their fostex.

This mod is not an option, to me, it is a MUST!

Feb 7, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #264 of 343
Hi, @AT Khan, I have successfully perform the same mod following your steps and I am very proud and happy that I did.

It looks awesome!
Thanks for sharing and I am sure more people will follow the same steps and mod their fostex.

Wow man. Great. Well done!!

Looks pro!

Yeah, indeed once you do it, you realize it's a must and should be done regardless.

Cheers!!!!

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #265 of 343

It looks awesome!

Why oh why did you use MMCX on a full size headphone... :triportsad:

They are the connectors I have seen fail the most, even SMC plugs are better.

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #266 of 343
They actually feel very solid. The mmcx connection was way better than I thought.
And this is completely reversible.
With other connectors you can't reverse it as original.
I am pretty happy with this mod.
Highly recommended.
If anything breaks, it is easy to fix as well.

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #267 of 343
They actually feel very solid. The mmcx connection was way better than I thought.
And this is completely reversible.
With other connectors you can't reverse it as original.
I am pretty happy with this mod.
Highly recommended.
If anything breaks, it is easy to fix as well.

Will SMC not fit, they are tiny and what I have used when space is limited...

_DSC0007_DxO.jpg

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #269 of 343
Feb 7, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #270 of 343
Full Lawton mod is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back