Fostex TH900 MkII
Apr 12, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #1,126 of 1,500
Good to hear that things went smoothly. Hopefully that's them set for many years of trouble free service.

Applying threadlock was definitely worthwhile as the screws do have a tendency to slowly work themselves out over time which if left unchecked will likely result in the gimbal failing. Good luck finding that little spring and screw again when it does....(shag pile rug owners need not apply).
Just bought a set of 610's open box return for £180, will come in handy for spares.

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #1,127 of 1,500
Reworking and modding of the charity shop bargain 900mk2 finished. Took a bit of Lawton mods and a bit of whitigir mods and added a touch of my own. Added in the ori pads / dekoni attenuation rings and pilot pad and a custom made 4.4mm balanced copper cable with matching paracord sleeve.
Had the cups touched up by a friend who is a French polisher and has worked with arushi before, done a really good job on the cups look like new.
20220415_115503.jpg

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #1,128 of 1,500
After lots of experimenting, the TH900 MKII is the only headphone I enjoy enough to leave it in its stock form. No EQ, pad swaps or anything else. My current line-up is the TH900, HD800S, LCD-X, Verite C and Arya Stealth (several other mid range as well). The Fostex is the only 1 that I do not EQ. Tried several pads out of curiosity but always end up back with the stock pads.

Using with the iFi Pro stack. The only change I'll make sometimes is 1-2 clicks on XBass if i want my brain to rattle.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #1,129 of 1,500
After lots of experimenting, the TH900 MKII is the only headphone I enjoy enough to leave it in its stock form. No EQ, pad swaps or anything else. My current line-up is the TH900, HD800S, LCD-X, Verite C and Arya Stealth (several other mid range as well). The Fostex is the only 1 that I do not EQ. Tried several pads out of curiosity but always end up back with the stock pads.

Using with the iFi Pro stack. The only change I'll make sometimes is 1-2 clicks on XBass if i want my brain to rattle.
Nice

Apr 18, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #1,130 of 1,500
hello, may I get some recommendations for a suitable headband cover please? my original headband shows visible signs of the leather "cracking" and it won't be long before it starts flaking I believe. I'm looking for something that covers the entire headband, thank you.

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #1,132 of 1,500
hello, may I get some recommendations for a suitable headband cover please? my original headband shows visible signs of the leather "cracking" and it won't be long before it starts flaking I believe. I'm looking for something that covers the entire headband, thank you.
ZMF Pilot pad if you don't mind spending a bit extra, fits snug and very comfortable.

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #1,133 of 1,500

Mods and tweaks are not for everyone, I'd love to just buy a pair and listen as stock especially when you spend serious amounts of money. Alas for me with age comes issues of treble sensitivity and pressure in the ears, sold all my iems and now just using speakers and closed / open backs. I'm no longer a critical listener just a fun one. A slight adjustment to the treble peaks and pad comfort is all require these days. If your getting the best sound out of yours in stock formation it just goes to show how much of a good match they are for you and a definite keeper as well 👍

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #1,134 of 1,500
I had one of these made for my TH900 back when I had one, she is very nice and will do different color combinations if needed.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/816783799/headset-headband-cover-solid-color

Picture of my old 900 with the cover,

9002.jpg

9001.jpg

I tried to get a color combo that would kind of match the cup and cord... it was close. Headphones have since been sold.

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #1,136 of 1,500
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #1,137 of 1,500
Apr 21, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #1,139 of 1,500
I have had 2 previous pairs myself and no issues either. So that's good for us! Have you any experience with the headband pad replacement?
Im in a humid location , Hong Kong , Miami so no issues with head bands. I sweet a lot so I rotate 6 pairs of th900s so they can dry from my sweet.

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #1,140 of 1,500
Was originally going to keep the 610's I bought as spare parts but after a listen I quite like them so I might have a tweak of the drivers / cups, still thinking of getting some purple heart cups for the 900's and maybe a set for the 610's but while I decide I thought why not do something with the cups from the 610 as they are a bit bland. So sanded odd areas of the cups and stained in a marble effect with some unicorn stainer and spray acrylic laquerd to give them a shine and a bit more protection. Pictures don't really do them justice but I've got a quite nice marble effect on them, just left at work over the weekend to harden and will fit next week.
20220422_141458.jpg20220422_141523.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back