Fostex TH900 MkII
Mar 15, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #796 of 1,500
Received my headband cover today. Quality is great, fitment is spot on. Would recommend if anyone finds the stock headband a little harsh or sliding too much.

20210315_131931.jpg
20210315_132005.jpg
20210315_132000.jpg

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #797 of 1,500
Hello,
I am very interested in the TH900mk2 and so close to pulling the trigger yet, I am still debating the tuning of the original Bordeaux mk2's vs. the anniversary tuning of the Sapphire/Pearl White. I've seen conflicting reports surrounding the tuning. It's described (by Fostex) as a smooth and focused low-end response with others adding that the treble is some what relaxed, taming some of the harshness. However, I've seen some mention that the treble is actually more forward than the standard mk2 and that the bass is less. What I don't know though is how many of these comments actually came from owners or, are just commenters repeating what they have read.

Is there anyone here that has listened to both and willing/able to provide a more educated/objective comparison between the two tunings?
I own both th900 mk2 and sapphire blue. Imo, the blue was slightly brighter and less bassy in the mid bass than my red ones were. They both no longer use stock pads though. They may not have been less bassy but appear that way due to the slightly less midbass. Could also just be placebo. Not sure, but that was my impression. I'd go for whatever looks better, as the difference will not be noticeable unless you literally have the other one with you, and even then it could just be placebo.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #798 of 1,500
Just got a pair of these bad boys and I like very much so far. They compliment my other closed-backs very well.

One thing: the cable is far too long. What recommendations are there for 3rd party cables with 4.4mm termination (ideally in EU)? Usually I'd go for Forza, but I understand he uses HD600 plugs, which don't fully insert? Any other recommendations would be welcome.

20210324_134149.jpg

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #799 of 1,500
Just got a pair of these bad boys and I like very much so far. They compliment my other closed-backs very well.

One thing: the cable is far too long. What recommendations are there for 3rd party cables with 4.4mm termination (ideally in EU)? Usually I'd go for Forza, but I understand he uses HD600 plugs, which don't fully insert? Any other recommendations would be welcome.

20210324_134149.jpg
Cut the cable.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #801 of 1,500

Unreal woodies you got there, neighbor!

I bought a cable for my TH900s from @jfunk at customcans.co.uk. He makes great cables at prices for the workin' man.

I'm behind on posting pics, I'll get to it in a coupla weeks hopefully.

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #802 of 1,500
Unreal woodies you got there, neighbor!

I bought a cable for my TH900s from @jfunk at customcans.co.uk. He makes great cables at prices for the workin' man.

I'm behind on posting pics, I'll get to it in a coupla weeks hopefully.
Cheers. I've ordered from him before and was impressed. Thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup:

Mar 24, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #803 of 1,500
Cheers. I've ordered from him before and was impressed. Thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup:
Yeah, I have a bunch of cables from him. When I got my TH900s I didn't see any cables on his site so I emailed him. He went out and got the correct connectors and before I knew it I had a beautiful matching cable in the mailbox :)

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #804 of 1,500
I just ordered/received a pair of Pearls earlier this week (#46!). I've never heard the 900's before, but I had a pair of TH-X00's several years back. I thought they were "ok" with a decent slam, but didn't think they were super-impressive. I really liked a previous pair of Z1R's I had last year, and I also recently sold a pair of HD800S's (which I liked/respected, but the sound signature wasn't my favorite -- I need a little fuller bottom-end). I wanted to try something a little different, and I'm a sucker for really impressively crafted things (the 900-cups, for example), and also limited/rare editions.

At first listen, I could appreciate the slam of the bass in the 900's, but the treble was a little (just a little) rough on my ears. I've been burning them in for the last 2 days, and they sound dramatically different. The mid-range is fuller, the warmth of voices is very present, and the highs are definitely tamed. I'm kinda shocked at the change in even just 40 or so hours. I'm really digging these cans now, and it's really nice to be able to power them off of any source. I'm just running off the 3.5mm in my iBasso DX300, but I've got a 4.4mm cable on order now.

Long story short: There's a ton (a ton) written about these headphones online, and much of the discussion is around how "shrill" and "sibilant" they are. It's really unfortunate because I think it pushes away potential buyers since it makes it sound like these headphones are "broken". I've tried many different genre's of music, and they're successful in all that I've heard. They do, however, excel in electronic/pop (Daft Punk - Random Access Memories is a ridiculously great experience with these headphones).

Fostex really nailed it with these headphones. I'm loving them.

Attachments

• IMG_6231.jpeg
    IMG_6231.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #806 of 1,500
I just ordered/received a pair of Pearls earlier this week (#46!). I've never heard the 900's before, but I had a pair of TH-X00's several years back. I thought they were "ok" with a decent slam, but didn't think they were super-impressive. I really liked a previous pair of Z1R's I had last year, and I also recently sold a pair of HD800S's (which I liked/respected, but the sound signature wasn't my favorite -- I need a little fuller bottom-end). I wanted to try something a little different, and I'm a sucker for really impressively crafted things (the 900-cups, for example), and also limited/rare editions.

At first listen, I could appreciate the slam of the bass in the 900's, but the treble was a little (just a little) rough on my ears. I've been burning them in for the last 2 days, and they sound dramatically different. The mid-range is fuller, the warmth of voices is very present, and the highs are definitely tamed. I'm kinda shocked at the change in even just 40 or so hours. I'm really digging these cans now, and it's really nice to be able to power them off of any source. I'm just running off the 3.5mm in my iBasso DX300, but I've got a 4.4mm cable on order now.

Long story short: There's a ton (a ton) written about these headphones online, and much of the discussion is around how "shrill" and "sibilant" they are. It's really unfortunate because I think it pushes away potential buyers since it makes it sound like these headphones are "broken". I've tried many different genre's of music, and they're successful in all that I've heard. They do, however, excel in electronic/pop (Daft Punk - Random Access Memories is a ridiculously great experience with these headphones).

Agree. I've been listening to my TH900 non-stop since I received them two days ago. I can't believe it took me so long to get a pair. What an immensely satisfying pair of headphones! On the red variant, I can't really fault anything in the tuning. I was also expecting a treble that was shrill, but I don't find that at all. I find it airy, transparent, and detailed.

I was also expecting the bass to be dominant, but actually I find it tight, controlled, and incredibly detailed with impactful slam. This is absolutely how bass should be done (in comparison, to say, the Campfire Cascade, which are elevated without any control, and thus bloated). It's true, the mids are not as textured as my ZMF VC - but this makes the TH900 all the more energetic and engaging (and for me personally, I prefer a ruler flat if not slightly dipped mids, so this suits me greatly). Going between VC and TH900 is interesting and requires a lot of adjustment, because the VC almost sound laidback after a few days on the Fostex.

I just rolled a pair of Dekoni Elite Sheepskin, which seems to maintain the FR without comprising the soundstage. I also have a Moon Audio Black Dragon Premium on the way mostly for convenience, so I run can these in balanced mode. The stock cable is good quality, but too long.

100% keepers!

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #807 of 1,500

Agree , with the right equipment they excell and sound real.

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #808 of 1,500
Agree. I've been listening to my TH900 non-stop since I received them two days ago. I can't believe it took me so long to get a pair. What an immensely satisfying pair of headphones! On the red variant, I can't really fault anything in the tuning. I was also expecting a treble that was shrill, but I don't find that at all. I find it airy, transparent, and detailed.

I was also expecting the bass to be dominant, but actually I find it tight, controlled, and incredibly detailed with impactful slam. This is absolutely how bass should be done (in comparison, to say, the Campfire Cascade, which are elevated without any control, and thus bloated). It's true, the mids are not as textured as my ZMF VC - but this makes the TH900 all the more energetic and engaging (and for me personally, I prefer a ruler flat if not slightly dipped mids, so this suits me greatly). Going between VC and TH900 is interesting and requires a lot of adjustment, because the VC almost sound laidback after a few days on the Fostex.

I just rolled a pair of Dekoni Elite Sheepskin, which seems to maintain the FR without comprising the soundstage. I also have a Moon Audio Black Dragon Premium on the way mostly for convenience, so I run can these in balanced mode. The stock cable is good quality, but too long.

100% keepers!
That pretty funny actually; I ordered the same exact cable several hours ago — the 4.4mm version.
When you say the Dekoni pads maintain the FR, are you saying there’s no perceptible difference at all? I’m always hesitant to change pads because I don’t want to change the factory sound, but I’m always interested in increasing comfort.

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #809 of 1,500
That pretty funny actually; I ordered the same exact cable several hours ago — the 4.4mm version.
When you say the Dekoni pads maintain the FR, are you saying there’s no perceptible difference at all? I’m always hesitant to change pads because I don’t want to change the factory sound, but I’m always interested in increasing comfort.
That's also the one I got - 4.4mm Furutech! I've had a few of their cables and they're all top notch.

I literally just put on the Dekoni pads about an hour ago, so can't really give detailed impressions, and certainly haven't A/B'd them with stock. Essentially I got them because I figure they'll be longer lasting. The stock ones feel and sound perfect to me, I'm just always preferring leather for longevity reasons and for minimal sweating. I would say the FR sounds basically the same, the only difference would be an ever so slight drop in sub-bass. But I'll need to A/B a few times to see. Sadly changing pads isn't as easy as ZMF so A/B comparisons are a bit hit or miss.

The measure page on their site seems to also confirm this - https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...heepskin-replacement-memory-foam-ear-pad-set/

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #810 of 1,500

Welcome to the Pearl White TH900mk2 gang!
#36 here

They only get better after you give the drivers some time to break in... Just say'n . I find myself reaching for this phone more than others in my rotation including the Edition X V2... So much good energy with the TH900 and the timbre is really very good if not the best I've heard with my ears and sources anyway.

Congratz!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back