Fostex TH900 MkII
Jun 1, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #691 of 1,500
Does the Sapphire version sound smoother in the highs?
@Christoph could give more details
Yes, i would say the highs of the sapphire edition sound smoother than the standard red edition. I had first only the red ones and i like them very much (up to now) and i never found the highs or the treble too harsh or too much.

However in direct comparsion to the sapphire blue edition, i like the highs and treble more of the blue ones, smoother is the right word to describe.

I'm curious how the frequency graph would look like of the sapphire blue edition compared to the red ones, but i have no measurement equippment. I assume it's more flattern in general, at least that's how it sounds for me.

Jun 1, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #692 of 1,500
Anything you'd recommend as an alternative?
Since you like the DT 770, you may consider the DT 1770 PRO as a suitable upgrade.

In any case, there is nothing quite like the TH900 out there. It really is the best headphone for dance music, IMO. If that's your preferred genre of music, this Fostex headphone will check a lot of your boxes.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #694 of 1,500
Hi. Is it possible to fit a balanced 4.4 cable to the Fostex? And if so, where can I buy it?
Just cut the 6.5 and attach a 4.4.

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #695 of 1,500
Anyone know where I can pickup the sapphire version?

Sep 1, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #696 of 1,500
I was wondering how the sound signature of the Fostex TH900 compares to the ZMF Eikon? Was considering picking up one or the other as an endgame closed back but unfortunately don't have a good way of demo-ing either of them any time soon.

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #697 of 1,500
Honestly the Fostex is miles ahead in my system. But to be fair I think I was underpowering the Eikons. The Eikons seemed thin to me, but again to be fair, I think the Fostex color the music slightly. haha

Probably left you more confused...

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #698 of 1,500
I was wondering how the sound signature of the Fostex TH900 compares to the ZMF Eikon? Was considering picking up one or the other as an endgame closed back but unfortunately don't have a good way of demo-ing either of them any time soon.
TH900 has more and better bass, hotter treble, very V-shaped, more "fun" tonality, responds well to EQ, relatively light and very comfortable, semi-open so poor isolation. Eikon has a more balanced signature, more "musical" tonality, heavier so less comfortable comparably but still good comfort for its weight, I didn't need EQ with it, closed with some vent holes so good isolation.

I've sold the Eikon for another closed-back and I don't think I'll ever sell the TH900 because I'm sure I'd regret it after.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #700 of 1,500
Thanks for your replies. I passed up on a chance to buy the TH900s recently and regret it lol. Will prob try to pick up a pair when they pop up again.
Im using seven TH900s , one per day.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #702 of 1,500
TH900 has more and better bass, hotter treble, very V-shaped, more "fun" tonality, responds well to EQ, relatively light and very comfortable, semi-open so poor isolation. Eikon has a more balanced signature, more "musical" tonality, heavier so less comfortable comparably but still good comfort for its weight, I didn't need EQ with it, closed with some vent holes so good isolation.

I've sold the Eikon for another closed-back and I don't think I'll ever sell the TH900 because I'm sure I'd regret it after.
This is a very spot-on assessment of the differences between the Eikon and the TH900 Mk2. The Eikon has good, quality bass, but it is, at its very heart, a headphone that aims for a balanced sound. The TH900 Mk2, on the other hand, eschews any semblance of neutrality; it's an all-out "fun" can, with great bass and an equally distinct treble section.

However, as "musicality" is a very subjective component, I'd say that I very much prefer the Fostex to the ZMF.

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #703 of 1,500
Is there a big different between Th900 MK1 and MK2? Since the price(2nd hand) of MK2 is double of MK1, some user complain about the bass of MK2 is not TH900 anymore ! Also the graphics showed MK1 and MK2 almost the same....
Any advise ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #704 of 1,500
Is there a big different between Th900 MK1 and MK2? Since the price(2nd hand) of MK2 is double of MK1, some user complain about the bass of MK2 is not TH900 anymore ! Also the graphics showed MK1 and MK2 almost the same....
Any advise ?
Thanks

The MK2 Version has detachable cables, the rest is the same.

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #705 of 1,500
Any advise ?
Thanks
I've heard both of them before, and I own the Mk2. To my ears, they sound the same.

The presence of detachable cables makes the Mk2 a far more enticing buy, of course. If you can get the Mk1 for a good price, you should consider terminating the headphone connectors to detachable ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back