Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 9, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #4,667 of 18,754
Quote:

I just enjoy the plug without its cheap looking transportation protection more... if it does scratch -- so what? I prefer to call that personalisation :wink:
Why should I not enjoy the full product I bought for my personal use? What should I preserve that for? Resale-value? Taking good care is enough IMO.

Can't agree more. I would even go as far as not using a bumper case for my iphone simply because designer has probaly spent countless hours in how it looks. Buying a bumper case is downgrading the looks, if I drop it, thats life. I live on the edge!!

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #4,669 of 18,754
re:  the cable jacket twisting between the Y-connector and the ear cup.

this is typical for the cloth jacket type cabling.  the D7000 and other denons suffered with this problem.  as do the audio technicas (possibly worse).
some people may have never experienced this, others have. 
it has to do with usage patterns and the handling of the headphones on the way to and from your head...

the reason (and potential fix) is this:  somehow the entire headphone cable has accidentally been "passed through" the opening created above the y-connector.
this is easier to do than you think.  if you coil up the headphone and set it down somewhere, the next time you pick it up, the coiled up cable may be "on the other side" of the y-connector from where it started...

so, just experiment with coiling up the headphone cable (below the y-connector), then passing this coiled-up cable through, and seeing if the kinked pieces leading up the ear cup straighten out.
if it gets worse, pass it through in the opposite direction...

hope that helps.  (it works for me...)

wink.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #4,671 of 18,754
I've experienced the cable twist as well, but it was quite easy to untangle and work around just by learning how to properly coil the cable. I find that many fabric coated cables do the same thing, it is just a matter of learning how to work them so that doesn't happen. I agree it is annoying and unpleasant to look at. Personally, the cable is one of the poorest attributes of the TH-900, IMO. If I didn't think it would wreck resale value, I would seriously consider a re-cable job. 

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #4,672 of 18,754
Exactly what it was. Now nice and straight!

re:  the cable jacket twisting between the Y-connector and the ear cup.

this is typical for the cloth jacket type cabling.  the D7000 and other denons suffered with this problem.  as do the audio technicas (possibly worse).
some people may have never experienced this, others have. 
it has to do with usage patterns and the handling of the headphones on the way to and from your head...

the reason (and potential fix) is this:  somehow the entire headphone cable has accidentally been "passed through" the opening created above the y-connector.
this is easier to do than you think.  if you coil up the headphone and set it down somewhere, the next time you pick it up, the coiled up cable may be "on the other side" of the y-connector from where it started...

so, just experiment with coiling up the headphone cable (below the y-connector), then passing this coiled-up cable through, and seeing if the kinked pieces leading up the ear cup straighten out.
if it gets worse, pass it through in the opposite direction...

hope that helps.  (it works for me...)

wink.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #4,674 of 18,754
Quote:
I see that the headphones are backordered on PJ. I'm debating whether I should wait until this changes or place an order let them sit on my money while it comes back in stock?

The price right now is pretty low. It was lower a few days ago, but I have seen it as high as 1700 on PJ. It depends on the ever-changing conversion of the yen, so it is really a gamble. It could go lower or it could go back to 16--. Personally, I would wait. You might be able to find one on the used market in the mean time. If not, wait till they are back in stock and hope that the price is as low as it is now. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #4,675 of 18,754
I was lucky to grab it when AUD was strong than Yen and USD, got it for ~$1510 shipped via EMS to Australia, what a deal, and I never tried to snipe it, it was on pre-order that time but mine was shipped right away after making a bank xfer which is a very convenient option since PJ has almost every bank account on main countries like US, Au, and EU... 

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #4,676 of 18,754
Before i made my purchase from PJ i've been looking around for sometime for a used TH-900 but goes to no avail. 

Seems like those that have TH-900 with them doesn't want to sell them out. For me after i received them i think they are worth every penny you pay for them. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #4,677 of 18,754
Model ST300 is an wooden headphone stand for elegant display of Fostex headphones and available as an optional extra.  This is same as the new headphone stand supplied with the TH900. - See more at: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH-600.shtml#sthash.mHMmYt05.dpuf
Model ST300 is an wooden headphone stand for elegant display of Fostex headphones and available as an optional extra.  This is same as the new headphone stand supplied with the TH900. - See more at: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH-600.shtml#sthash.mHMmYt05.dpuf

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #4,680 of 18,754
All new TH-900s come with that stand, thank god. I would ask the shop before you order. My dealer told me before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back