Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #16 of 18,759

Quote:
Fostex didn't just design the drivers for the Denons. They also designed the OEM housing. Basically, the whole headphone was done by Fostex for Denon.

The D7000 is pretty hard to find new for $700 these days in my experience. Sure, it can be done, but it's not like they go for that on Amazon regularly anymore. Most of the good retailers still have them for $800-$999. Also the $2300 price on the TH900 is AudioCubes' inflated importer price. AudioCubes is always much more expensive than PriceJapan and other deputy services. I wouldn't be surprised to find the TH900 for closer to an even $2000 when it's available on PriceJapan. So I think "more than triple" is a stretch.

Add to that $400 for a nice pair of cups to make your D7000 look as good as the Fostex and you're getting even closer with the price.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #17 of 18,759

Quote:

Add to that $400 for a nice pair of cups to make your D7000 look as good as the Fostex and you're getting even closer with the price.

After my personal experience with the W3000ANV I am really hoping this isn't another situation where a nice pair of cups are the major design goal.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 18,759

Quote:
Fostex didn't just design the drivers for the Denons. They also designed the OEM housing. Basically, the whole headphone was done by Fostex for Denon.

The D7000 is pretty hard to find new for $700 these days in my experience. Sure, it can be done, but it's not like they go for that on Amazon regularly anymore. Most of the good retailers still have them for $800-$999. Also the $2300 price on the TH900 is AudioCubes' inflated importer price. AudioCubes is always much more expensive than PriceJapan and other deputy services. I wouldn't be surprised to find the TH900 for closer to an even $2000 when it's available on PriceJapan. So I think "more than triple" is a stretch.

I didn't know that Fostex design more than the dirver in the Denon. That explains all th eother similarities.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #20 of 18,759
Praise the Lord!
My Fostex (HP-P1) has cleared customs after 5 weeks.
That means no drugs, chemicals, explosives, machine guns or tanks have been found hidden inside of it!
My advice to all of you who want to sell and ship sommething to Belgium: put something illegal in it, that way it passes customs in under a minute.
Drugs and weapons are a good choice, allthough they are illegal they can be found on any corner of any street here.
Not really sure about the tank though, but for anyone who tried, please share your impressions.

--> End rant.  :wink:

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #21 of 18,759
The D7000s are easy to find for less than $700, you can call just about any retailer and get them for <$600. Electronics-Expo blows them out all day long for $580 shipped. Find someone in the US to buy them and ship them to you.

I really do want the TH900s, though. God, they just scream "D7000 from hell". *drool*

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #23 of 18,759
Electronics Expo has their price for the D7000 listed at $998 on Amazon currently. Calling them yields a 42% discount?

Yes. Also, often they sell "new-open box" D7000s that aren't really open at all. They just grab a new pair, cut the tape, and ship them out. Hell of a bargain. They have the same warranty and everything.

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #24 of 18,759

- The prototype has been around for years, here it is in a video from 2009 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jy0pei91Gg

- It uses a bio-cellulose driver (like the Sony R10) - http://www.head-fi.org/t/568694/biocellulose-and-its-use-in-headphones-earphones-referring-the-recent-iem-example-vsonic-gr-07-r07

- It has a high magnetic flux density, which is responsible for the exceptional sound in the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 and T5p, this is not marketing, I tested it in the T5p, and I do think they sound 'exceptional' in certain ways compared to all other dynamic-driver HP's I've heard.

- It was the primary advertisement of the Tokyo headphone festival 2011.

- Mkubota1 had very positive impressions from Tokyo (IIRC).

- There are a few very positive impressions of it in Japanese.

- Fostex/r develop lots of headphones and all kinds of dynamic drivers, there are many earphones, speakers and headphones which are actually Fostex/r.

- The Fostex T50RP is usually quoted as the best price to performance ratio HP ever.

All this nonsense aside I think the TH900 looks beautiful.

/kiteki

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #26 of 18,759

Here is one of them http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.phileweb.com%2Fmypage%2Fentry%2F1698%2F20111030%2F26324%2F

"
TH900の第一声は、​
First word of the TH900 is,
音楽が一気に耳の方へ溢れ出てくるような強い流れを感じさせた。​
Made me feel a strong flow like music coming out toward the ear filled at once.
この力感、音圧がありながら透明度、純度の極めて高い音調がこのヘッドホンのハイライトだろう。​
Transparency, very high intonation purity of the headphones will highlight this Rikikan this yet, the sound pressure.
TH900の音像は色濃く、熱く、厚いのではない。​
Sound image of the TH900 is heavily, hot, thick is not it.
むしろ透明でわずかにクール、スピードが速い音だ。​
It sounds cool, slightly faster speed is rather transparent.
帯域で言えば、​
Speaking of bands,
中域、つまり人の歌声などの音楽の根幹を成すメインの帯域に音圧の重心があるようだ。​
There seems to be the center of gravity of the sound pressure in the region, the main band of the backbone of music such as the voice of the people that is.
密閉型らしく音場感はやや抑えられ、​
Sense of the sound field is suppressed seems somewhat sealed,
音像が前にせり出して迫ってくるように聞こえる。​
Sounds like a looming before it moves forward is the sound.
克明で彫りの深い音の輪郭であり、​
Contours of the sound is chiseled in scrupulosity,
ハウジングが木製である場合にありがちな、​
A common case is a wooden housing,
一種のウォーム感、暖かみは前景にでていない。​
A kind of warm feeling, warmth is not out in the foreground.
このニュートラルに近い温度感は全体の音調における脚色の少なさにつながっている。​
Temperature close to the neutral sense of this has led to the lack of adaptation in the tone of the whole.
TH900に正確さを期した音づくりが基調にあり、​
Located in the keynote was believed to be accurate in making sound TH900,
ルックスから想像されるまろやかさ、​
Mildness be imagined from the looks,
ゆとり感等の独特の味わいで聞かせるパターンではない。​
Is not heard on the flavor of a unique pattern in which, such as feeling relaxed.
ただ、このような場合、​
However, such a case,
小音量だと往々にして暗く躍動感に乏しい音になりがちであり、​
There tend to be poor to sound dark and uplifting, and it often to small volume,
十分にボリュウムを上げて聞くのが吉だ。​
Raise the Boryuumu hear Gil's enough.

一回目の試聴では以上のことが分かったが全体に素晴らしいという印象はあまりなく、​
Overall impression that a great audition The first time was found to be more rather than less,
ヘッドホンアンプの癖や​
Habit and the headphone amplifier
DSDファイルの傾向が前に出る印象が強かった。​
Trend impression of DSD files to expect before was strong.
多くの方が似たような印象を抱かれただろう。​
Would have been embraced by many people the impression similar.
しかし、私はそれで片づけていいような気はしなかった。​
However, I feel like I did not clean up with it.
なにかいいところがもっとあるはずだ。​
There must be something more is a good place.
二回、三回、四回と並んで聞くと、​
Side by side and listen to twice, three times, and four times,
冷静になってヘッドホンアンプの影響をある程度分離して聞くことができるようになったようだ。​
It seems now you can listen to separate to some extent the impact of the headphone amplifier becoming calm.

解像度は中域では特に高い。​
The resolution is particularly high in the mid range.
歌詞のカツゼツがとてもよく、声のハリもあり実にみずみずしく響く。​
Katsuzetsu of the lyrics very well, sounds really fresh and also voice needle.
(ここらへんはヘッドホンアンプの特性も手伝っているようだが)​
(Do to help around here, but seems to have the characteristics of headphone amplifier)
解像度自体は低域に行くにしたがって、ほの甘くなるようだが、​
According to the resolution itself go to low, but so sweet of sail,
そのかわり、様々な低音の低さの違い、​
Instead, the difference between the low bass, and various
つまり音程が開放型のヘッドホンよりも正確に聞き取れる。​
Audible pitch more accurately than that is open type headphones.
また、​
In addition, the
さすが1.5テスラ、ズドンと来る時は来るなぁ、​
1.5 Tesla when it comes, and I come Zudon is expected,
という瞬間もある。​
Is also called the moment.
ベース、ドラムの風圧を肌で受ける錯覚を覚える。​
Learn the illusion of wind pressure received by the base skin, of the drum.
低域はそういう角度から見ていくとやはり、​
The low-pass and still take a look at such an angle,
まずまず充実はしている。​
Has been reasonably rich.
高域は、これまた密閉型らしく抜け切ることを拒否している。​
The high frequency, have refused to turn off this exit also seemed sealed.
金属的な響きは控えめでサ行は刺さらない。​
Metallic sound is no difference in line Sasara modest.
そのかわり明確でしっかりした高域が聞ける。​
You can listen to high-frequency clear and firm instead.
また色彩感というか、音の彩度の高さも中域で際立ち、​
Or that the sense of color, stands out in the saturation region during the height of the sound also,
高域、低域ではモノクローム調の表現にやや傾く。​
High frequency, at low frequencies are inclined slightly to the representation of monochrome tone.
倍音成分の表現はやや控えめだが、​
Representation of harmonic components, but modest,
響きの美しさはきちんと正確に伝えてくる。​
The beauty of the sound will come neatly tells you exactly."

[continued]

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #29 of 18,759
I've spoken to Kaneda, and the TH900 will be available on PriceJapan sometime in the coming weeks. Not sure what Audiocubes means when they say they have exclusive rights, but they've made that claim before on products like the W3000ANV which are widely available internationally elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back