Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 7, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #17,206 of 18,754
the empyrean lacked the th900's clarity, resolution, impact and sounded veiled in comparison to my ears. the th900 is the more engaging listen imo.
Radically different sound signatures. Empyrean didn't have anywhere as much subbass & was a much much smoother/warmer sounding headphone.
Thank you both! I quite agree, but I couldn't stop myself and bought the Empyreans for they were heavily recommended to me.
On the way to find the best (inhouse) portable solution I also got the three players iBasso DX220 MAX, FiiO M15 and Shanling M8 to check for the optimal combination (to my ears). This will be quite some comparision since the competition is against my three pretty different sounding pairs of TH900 (different cables and mods).

Feb 22, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #17,207 of 18,754
Is there much difference between the regular Mk II's tuning and the sapphire blue? (in this case, the white will have the same tuning as the sapphire). A bunch of people say the sapphire has a bit more controlled bass and treble, and others say there's hardly any difference at a

If you haven't heard, Fostex is releasing a very limited edition version of the TH900mk2 in pearl white, with tuning similar to the sapphire blue edition. They're expected to ship early December. We have them for pre-order here and they'll be available at select Fostex dealers: Fostex TH900 mk2 Pearl White

Edit: replied to wrong post.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #17,208 of 18,754
If you haven't heard, Fostex is releasing a very limited edition version of the TH900mk2 in pearl white, with tuning similar to the sapphire blue edition. They're expected to ship early December. We have them for pre-order here and they'll be available at select Fostex dealers: Fostex TH900 mk2 Pearl White

fostex-th900-mk2-pearl-white-1.jpg
Picked up a set - very nice!

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #17,209 of 18,754
Hello all, I want to buy a pair of (new, ONLY) TH900's, and it seems the price has gone up drastically. I remember when they first came out they were $2400 which was completely insane, and I could swear that just a year or two ago (remember, live before COVID?) they could be purchased new for around $1100 or less pretty easily. Am I crazy? They're $1600 now, but I think this is because of COVID - am I imagining this? If I can buy them for $1100 again then of course I'll wait, I just don't want to get ripped off.

What did you pay for your TH900 NEW? In US specifically.

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #17,210 of 18,754
Hello all, I want to buy a pair of (new, ONLY) TH900's, and it seems the price has gone up drastically. I remember when they first came out they were $2400 which was completely insane, and I could swear that just a year or two ago (remember, live before COVID?) they could be purchased new for around $1100 or less pretty easily. Am I crazy? They're $1600 now, but I think this is because of COVID - am I imagining this? If I can buy them for $1100 again then of course I'll wait, I just don't want to get ripped off.

What did you pay for your TH900 NEW? In US specifically.
It's been $1600 for a good while, I believe.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #17,211 of 18,754
It's been $1600 for a good while, I believe.
Finally something that is about the same price in America and Europe! Thank you guys, I feel less bad for shelling out 1500 euros for mine. :D

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #17,212 of 18,754
Finally something that is about the same price in America and Europe! Thank you guys, I feel less bad for shelling out 1500 euros for mine. :D
Great! Enjoy!!

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #17,213 of 18,754
My financial situation might be getting better soon and I'm in need of decent headphones again. I'm seriously considering the TH900 mk2, but I need to find out about something first;

Can you tame the painful treble with pads, like a significant improvement? Are there any that actually work for that goal without major downsides?

I won't be able to just order all the ZMF, Dekoni, yaxi pads to test, so I was hoping the people here could share the knowledge.

Thank you!

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #17,215 of 18,754
Mar 1, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #17,216 of 18,754
My financial situation might be getting better soon and I'm in need of decent headphones again. I'm seriously considering the TH900 mk2, but I need to find out about something first;

Can you tame the painful treble with pads, like a significant improvement? Are there any that actually work for that goal without major downsides?

I won't be able to just order all the ZMF, Dekoni, yaxi pads to test, so I was hoping the people here could share the knowledge.

Thank you!
I'm curious why you are thinking TH900mk2 if you think its treble is painful. I love its treble and don't think it's painful with the stock pads. But everyone hears differently. I'm really interested in what makes you attracted to TH900mk2 in spite of its energetic treble.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #17,217 of 18,754
You can't go wrong with the TH900's, especially if you want to enjoy your listening session. These are no doubt fun headphones. If you're looking for something more neutral/studio reference, then definitely stay away from these HP's, lol. If you want to tame the treble, you can EQ down a bit if needed.

As for ear pads, I really like the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads: https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...e-hybrid-replacement-memory-foam-ear-pad-set/

In my opinion, they improve the TH900's sound in all the right areas.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #17,218 of 18,754

Thank you!
The dac , amp you choose will fix your issue.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #17,219 of 18,754

Thank you!
There is no painful treble for me. I was expecting problems and I was amazed how balanced the cans are. I have the Sapphires but I'm not sure it matters.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #17,220 of 18,754
Pads are pads they are not drivers, re tuners, or resonators

Users who are viewing this thread

Back