Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 30, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #17,191 of 18,754
Hmm, that's interesting, I had the MK1 before and I thought the bass was stronger on the MK1. I thought I might be due to the different pads on the MK2. So it seems like MK2 is tuned differently from MK1. Is that your experience since you sold the MK2 and kept the MK1?
They are pretty similar.

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #17,193 of 18,754
What's everyone's opinion on the Dekoni Elite pads for the TH900 vs the stock pads? Any good?
I have the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads that I prefer over any other pads. I just purchased the 610 pads from Moon Audio and still prefer the Dekoni pads. If anyone is interested in buying the 610 pads that I used once, PM me.

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #17,195 of 18,754
No. I tried stock, TH-X00, and 610s. I've changed my mind about the 610's. I spent some time with them today and my Cayin C5 and EDM and they were fantastic. Sometimes you just have to find the right synergy. I am constantly surprised by the Cayin C5. I always assume my desktop setup is going to be better but there have been a number of times that I have been shocked at how good that little portable amp is. I have 2 of them and hope they last a long time.

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #17,196 of 18,754
No. I tried stock, TH-X00, and 610s. I've changed my mind about the 610's. I spent some time with them today and my Cayin C5 and EDM and they were fantastic. Sometimes you just have to find the right synergy. I am constantly surprised by the Cayin C5. I always assume my desktop setup is going to be better but there have been a number of times that I have been shocked at how good that little portable amp is. I have 2 of them and hope they last a long time.

Yeah, there seems to be an inverse relationship between Fostex HP's and size/expense of amps. They seem to perform better on those little portable amps than the big setups, lol.

For the Dekoni hybrids that you use, how do you feel they changed the sound on the TH900 vs the stock pads?

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #17,197 of 18,754
Yeah, there seems to be an inverse relationship between Fostex HP's and size/expense of amps. They seem to perform better on those little portable amps than the big setups, lol.

For the Dekoni hybrids that you use, how do you feel they changed the sound on the TH900 vs the stock pads?
I feel like the bass was so much better, the mids more forward and the highs were about the same. It was a huge improvement for me.

Feb 6, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #17,199 of 18,754
I feel like the bass was so much better, the mids more forward and the highs were about the same. It was a huge improvement for me.

You weren't kidding! I tried both the Elite Hybrid and the Elite Fenestrated. The Elite Hybrid wins hands down. It really improved the sound of the TH900 in every way, especially over the stock pads.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #17,205 of 18,754
Adding to the pads conversion, I tried the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin Replacement Ear Pads for Fostex TH-X00 and the opening was too shallow for my ears.

Then I went for these ones:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X1L287...abc_DHBWDHQY75GXQ0SFNW5K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely an improvement vs the stock ones, not only on comfort but on sound signature making the "White Pearls" more tighter on bass, less piercing highs, with thicker notes and mids less recessed, always maintaining clarity and detail retrieval.

I'm really happy with the change and I may conclude that these HPs are now the best ones I've ever tried all time, even on top of the Z1Rs and the D9200s. Just one thing to make them perfect? Isolation..., not a problem for me but yes... a nice to have. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back