Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 21, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #16,846 of 18,760
How you guys like my modded TH-900?
20200313_115953_HDR.jpg

Apr 2, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #16,847 of 18,760
Having an issue with the metal grille on one side (I have TH600s but same construction & more people on this thread).. It's a ringing from resonance. It took me a couple days to track down the ringing.

Looks like the glue is starting to fail.. I'd be down to remove the grille and clean off all the old glue & re-glue them but gluing that close to the driver makes me nervous.

The other thought & what I'm leaning towards is just removing both the grilles, and being careful not to touch the drivers when they're not on my head. Just curious if anyone has done this.. or some input. I searched, and searched haven't found someone with this situation yet.

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #16,848 of 18,760
This always happens, I procrastinate on making a post trying to figure things out myself then I finally do, and figure out a solution right afterwards.

I put some butyl (basically the sticky stuff on the back of dynamat similar to blue tac) around the glue ring. Only down side is the foam will pretty much be stuck in there now, if I want to remove it there will be a chance of ripping.. but it seems to have did the trick. The grill still has some resonance, but you can't hear it unless I really give the headphones a good whack. Just wanted it to stop ringing as music played.

Hopefully if someone else is experiencing the same thing it'll help them out.. idk

Apr 4, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #16,849 of 18,760
Wow, just read about 50 pages of posts on my iPhone while the rest of the fam was watching live action Beauty and the Beast. (I think I got the better end of the deal).

Pulled the trigger on some MK1s today (eBay). Should be here Friday. Coming from X00 mahogany. Have also had the PH (didn’t sense a huge difference) and the Ebony.

Would you say that the 900’s sound signature more closely resembles the wildness of the mahogany or the smooth but tame Ebony?

Thanks! Excited to pop these on!

Apr 4, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #16,850 of 18,760
Wow, just read about 50 pages of posts on my iPhone while the rest of the fam was watching live action Beauty and the Beast. (I think I got the better end of the deal).

Pulled the trigger on some MK1s today (eBay). Should be here Friday. Coming from X00 mahogany. Have also had the PH (didn’t sense a huge difference) and the Ebony.

Would you say that the 900’s sound signature more closely resembles the wildness of the mahogany or the smooth but tame Ebony?

Thanks! Excited to pop these on!
I had the Purple Hearts before I upgraded to the TH-900 Mk2’s. The TH-900’s doesn’t exhibit any of those characteristics. It’s much more refined sounding than any of the TH-X00 series of headphones.

Apr 4, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #16,851 of 18,760
I had the Purple Hearts before I upgraded to the TH-900 Mk2’s. The TH-900’s doesn’t exhibit any of those characteristics. It’s much more refined sounding than any of the TH-X00 series of headphones.

Thanks — I just keep hearing how they are fun ... V-shaped... and have energy ... which is how I would describe the X00s.

Apr 4, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #16,852 of 18,760
Thanks — I just keep hearing how they are fun ... V-shaped... and have energy ... which is how I would describe the X00s.
They are sort of v-shaped but not as much as the X00’s. The bass is better defined and has more punch. The X00’s headphones have big bass but it sounds loose and uncontrolled in comparison. The TH-900’s also have better treble clarity with a much better sense of space. They do not sound closed-in like the X00’s. They sound very open for a closed/semi-closed headphone. I think you’ll like the improvements in sound when you get them.

Apr 11, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #16,853 of 18,760
Got 'em Friday. Only listened to 'em a few hours, but... I'm impressed. I'm not a super analytical "expert", but the mids don't seem to be as "recessed" as many make it out to be. And I'm typically pretty sensitive to bright headphones, but even when listening at pretty high volumes, there are very few, if any, "wince" moments.

I did dial out just a bit of the highs on my Loki (11:30 position), but...

Pretty happy camper so far. :)

Apr 11, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #16,854 of 18,760
Got 'em Friday. Only listened to 'em a few hours, but... I'm impressed. I'm not a super analytical "expert", but the mids don't seem to be as "recessed" as many make it out to be. And I'm typically pretty sensitive to bright headphones, but even when listening at pretty high volumes, there are very few, if any, "wince" moments.

There are a lot of nuts out there.

Apr 11, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #16,855 of 18,760

like most aspects of this hobby, it depends on who you ask. some folks have described a hole where the mid range should be. i hear the mids as somewhat recessed relative to the treble and bass. some folks find the highs too sharp. i'd describe it as bright compared to say the z1r, which i regard as having a dark presentation with sparkly treble. i've heard a lot of totl headphones and never cease to find the th900 totally engaging.

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #16,856 of 18,760
Hey guys. Need some help here. Would want to know where I can find the foam which was supposed to be around the driver, between the two red circles in my picture.

I was trying to replace my stock headphone pads to Dekoni ones when I realised that the foam around the driver is sort of like loose.
Lots of black flakes began to drop out of my headphones in the past year. Instinctively while opening it up, I began to remove the foam. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

Attachments

• fostex-th900-driver.png
    fostex-th900-driver.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #16,857 of 18,760
if i dont like the treble of dt 990 but am ok with it on the hd650 and lcd2 classics and denon ah-d950 i used to have a few years back, just not dt 990 levels, would i like this fostex th900 mk2 iyo? i am looking for something that sounds just as good as my lcd2 classics or better in terms of quality but lighter in headphone weight and more comfort if possible

and how would the amount of treble comapre to hd 800s which i am also considering

for my current set up i own the lcd2 classics with the magni 3 that came out before the heresy, and no dac, but i am planing on getting a dac soon and upgrading the amp also probably

i use my headphones as my primary audio source, so for everything from music (mostly edm like above and beyond, but i listen to other non edm type also), media, to video games, and i sped the majority of my time playing video games as that is my biggest hobby

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #16,858 of 18,760
I might sound like a country cousin for even contemplating these deals on the TH900 from amazon:

deals.PNG

Is this legit? It is listed as used but says "brandneue produkte", "brandnew product"

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #16,859 of 18,760
I might sound like a country cousin for even contemplating these deals on the TH900 from amazon:

deals.PNG

Is this legit? It is listed as used but says "brandneue produkte", "brandnew product"
I think they're probably more like an open box offering. Units that were out of the box and on display but never used. I've seen used first gen th900s sell for about $600 while a brand new first gen th900 will still fetch $800

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #16,860 of 18,760
Hey guys. Need some help here. Would want to know where I can find the foam which was supposed to be around the driver, between the two red circles in my picture.

I was trying to replace my stock headphone pads to Dekoni ones when I realised that the foam around the driver is sort of like loose.
Lots of black flakes began to drop out of my headphones in the past year. Instinctively while opening it up, I began to remove the foam. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers!
You might have to hit up an official distributer like fullcompass and ask them to special order you a set or you could also try looking for a parts TH/TR-X00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back