Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 21, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #13,218 of 18,754

I have been listening to quite a few Lawtons for years, ever since the D7000.

I have an LA7000 and an LA2000, and now have a TH900 I'm deciding whether to Lawtonize or not. Stock, for me the TH900 does not compete with either of my modded Denon phones. I've grown too accustomed to the headstage, accuracy and tightness of the Lawton mods. The question: would a Lawton TH900 (after modding) make me put down my Denon LA7000, or would it simply sound different (not better) or possibly nearly equal? I'm trying to determine if what I'm not liking about the TH900 is the voicing of the phone or the fact that it simply hasn't been Lawtonized yet.

Decisions, decisions. I will either sell the TH900, or mod it and then decide whether to keep or sell. TH900 already has a lovely QAudio French Silk cable on it, same as I have on my Denons.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #13,219 of 18,754

I have an LA7000 and an LA2000, and now have a TH900 I'm deciding whether to Lawtonize or not. Stock, for me the TH900 does not compete with either of my modded Denon phones. I've grown too accustomed to the headstage, accuracy and tightness of the Lawton mods. The question: would a Lawton TH900 (after modding) make me put down my Denon LA7000, or would it simply sound different (not better) or possibly nearly equal? I'm trying to determine if what I'm not liking about the TH900 is the voicing of the phone or the fact that it simply hasn't been Lawtonized yet.

Decisions, decisions. I will either sell the TH900, or mod it and then decide whether to keep or sell. TH900 already has a lovely QAudio French Silk cable on it, same as I have on my Denons.

Hard to say. I liked the D7000 stock but found the TH-900 an improved version, I like it stock as well.
From what you describe with your experiences with the LA7000 I'd get it modded.
On the other hand for myself I wouldn't bother to put extra money in a pair of phones I don't like.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #13,222 of 18,754
  To clarify, I don't actually mind people asking about Lawton impressions. I'm just wondering why some users gave me such a hard time for not "using the search function" for asking basically the same questions other people have asked these past couple of pages, which incidentally, got no complaints from the same people who complained to me. 

That was clear with your post yesterday, no need to post it three times over and clarify. You could have used the search function for that. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #13,224 of 18,754
maybe we're just resigned to the fact that this will continue to occur here no matter how many times we ask people to take their lawton discussions to the appropriate thread

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #13,226 of 18,754
I'm a current TH-900 owner for over 3 years now.  I love them to death.  I think they are my favorite piece of musical equipment.  Including guitars, amps, headphones, headphone amps, Pre-pros, system amps, receivers, speakers.  The only thing I love more is the Music, itself.  I have read all 800+ painful pages of this thread.  I know how the search function works and have used it.

Having said that.  I enjoy the entire world of the TH-900.  I would like to express MY opinion that I ENJOY reading everyone's impressions about Lawton Mods on their TH-900s.  I ENJOY reading about Cable changes and THEIR OPINION of what that cable change does to THEIR IMPRESSION of the sound for THEIR TH-900.  I like seeing pictures of the Lawton Mods and Cable Mods.  I like the discussions of wood and the sound aspects of the wood and what they MAY do to the TH-900.  (Which also has cups made out of wood.)  I like to see discussions about amplifiers and what amps people feel drive the TH-900 the best.  And which amps don't work as well.  And I appreciate not having to go to a specific thread about Lawton Mod impressions of the TH-900, or cable changes on the TH-900, or Amps to drive the TH-900.

MY OPINION is that the Modification having been done ON the TH-900 belongs IN the TH-900 thread.  Impressions of changes done ON the TH900 belongs IN the TH900 thread.  Opinions of amps driving the TH900 belongs IN the TH900 thread.  Again, that is just my opinion.  In equipment, I like separates, but in a discussion thread, I like composite coverage.

If there are questions or comments on how TO modify a TH900, then I agree that those should be in the Mod Thread.  And the Modifiers have been doing a great job of that.  So that hasn't really been an issue.

This thread is already almost 900 pages long.  Why should we have to split out Lawton Mods, or cable mods, or amplification reviews.

What about that poor newbie soul who wants to buy a TH-900 and is looking to us here for honest talk and reviews of the TH900.  Should he be expected to read the 800+ pages of our arguments and drivel before asking a question.  Sure.  There is a search function.  And he/she has used it.  But there are 605 posts about Lawton Mods.  That is 25 pages of 25 snippets of posts that may contain the word Lawton.  (and honestly, how many of those are about Lawton mods, and not just posts stating that you should go somewhere else.)  There are 1125 posts about cable.  223 about cable mod.  317 about wood.  The search function returns more posts than most threads have total.

Unfortunately, this thread has become it's own living entity and can no longer effectively be restrained by the bounds of a search function.  I think that everyone needs to live with the fact that there are going to be topics that get repeated every 100 pages or sooner.  Because no one can seriously stumble through the morass of information and opinions that we have generated here.  And I like to hear from new TH-900 owners with their just out of the box enthusiasm.  Or from those who are interested in the TH-900.  But will they ask a question when the see how members on this thread treat each other?

So I propose that we embrace the fact that we will have repeat questions.  Be helpful and answer them.  Or ignore them.  But don't fill up the thread saying we shouldn't have asked them in the first place.  Most of the people and questions I've seen here have been reasonable and pleasant.

Embrace the fact that people will talk about Lawton.  Be helpful and answer them.  Or ignore them.  But don't fill up the thread saying you should go to a different thread.

Embrace the fact that people will talk about cable changes and opinions of cable changes.  Be helpful and answer them.  Or ignore them.  But don't fill up the thread saying that you don't believe that cables effect the sound.  (If it is a Sound Theory discussion, then let's boot them.  But if it is ON the TH-900, let it roll.  Especially with R2 having detachable cables.)

This is a TH-900 "impressions and discussion thread."  Let's discuss TH-900.  All aspects of the TH-900.  Let's think about our replies and ask.  Does this help the TH-900 and someone interested in it?  If not.  Just let it go.  Again.  This is all MY OPINION.    And if I've said anything here that goes against posting policies, I will delete this.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #13,227 of 18,754
Excellent post above with all points. Matter of facts, I think it is according to the forum rules as well, any impressions on th-900 will stay in impression thread and that includes modified 900 and pairing with gears. Then any "how to" modify Th-900 will belong to Modifying thread.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #13,230 of 18,754
Excellent post above with all points. Matter of facts, I think it is according to the forum rules as well, any impressions on th-900 will stay in impression thread and that includes modified 900 and pairing with gears. Then any "how to" modify Th-900 will belong to Modifying thread.

yep - something like that. anakchan proposed that compromise earlier in the thread but you'll probably have to use the search function to find it. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back